Ferrari Life Forum banner

Yellow Dino 246GTS #05830

5K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Dj Dirk 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of purchasing this car from Terry Price of Legendary Motors in Gazelle, CA. Does anyone know anything about this car or had any dealings with this seller?

#2 ·
art wright said:
I'm in the process of purchasing this car from Terry Price of Legendary Motors in Gazelle, CA. Does anyone know anything about this car or had any dealings with this seller?
Art,

It is nice to finally see you are finding the Dino you've been searching for. Gazelle is a small town in Northern CA as I'm sure you know. I don't ever recall hearing about this dealer but with 20 years I'm sure it is a safe bet.

I know you were looking for a mechanic in the area to inspect it. Did you have any luck? I can send you some info for the Sacramento area if you can get it that far for inspection.

Best of luck and let me know if you want that information.

#3 ·
art wright said:
Art, Suggest you contact Dick Merritt at the DOT. He should be able to give you some basic information on the car. Gerald Roush at Ferrari Market Letter also has very extensive files on a wide range of SN's. good luck.

#6 ·
If you think that's bad take a look at what some other cars were selling for during that time period. I think 250GTOs were going for as high as 25million and then sank down to something like 1.2 or something like that. 288GTOs were up in the Million dollars as well. Now you can have one for a good 250K. Heck even some 308s were selling for above 100K.

The Dino's been the only car recently to see values start to climb back. I'll bet the next car to do so will be the BB512.

#7 ·
The sale fell through. The dealer was unwilling to let the car go to a mechanic. He was supposed to bring it to one yesterday and flaked out. He expected me to buy it based on his reputation selling cars sight unseen to Reggie Jackson and Oil mogals in Kuait. I'm not in that league. Back to the search!

PS-Thanks for everyones help and advice. This is a great community!

#8 ·
art wright said:
PS-Thanks for everyones help and advice. This is a great community!
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. Did you ever contact Fantasy Junction? 510.653.7555 they are located in Emeryville right next to Pixar. Ask for either Chris Christenson or Bruce Trenery. I've met Chris so you can mention my name but I've never met Bruce. They had a Dino but it was a bit overpriced.

#14 ·
Enzo250GTO said:
senna21 said:
That's down a bit isn't it? I thought most were going for 70-100k. :eek:
Some are trying to get 100k for GTS versions, but it has to be concours condition at that price. I think 65-80 is typical and 80 is for a better than average conditioned car.
The market is an interesting place. Both the Dinos and Boxers are now in the same price bracket despite being at opposite ends of the Ferrari range when launched.

#15 ·
Boxer42 said:
Enzo250GTO said:
senna21 said:
That's down a bit isn't it? I thought most were going for 70-100k. :eek:
Some are trying to get 100k for GTS versions, but it has to be concours condition at that price. I think 65-80 is typical and 80 is for a better than average conditioned car.
The market is an interesting place. Both the Dinos and Boxers are now in the same price bracket despite being at opposite ends of the Ferrari range when launched.
I was just thinking the same thing. I love boxers but I've never liked the way the wheels/tires fit the rear wheel arches. They just don't seem to "fit" properly. Too much room in there. Dino's are just perfect in design and proportion. But, they don't have that V12!

Oh, my kingdom for a horse!! :cry:

#19 ·
Rolm said:
My advice Never Never buy a used car from a dealer especialy and old car even a Ferrari you will pay through the nose and you never know what you are getting. Like the other guys said keep on looking and buy private.
Completely disagree. It depends on what you are looking for, how much you know about it, and the model. If you do not know what you are doing, buying a car privately can end up to be a much more expensive experience in the short to medium term than buying from a reputable, well regarded dealer.

#20 ·
Boxer42 said:
Rolm said:
My advice Never Never buy a used car from a dealer especialy and old car even a Ferrari you will pay through the nose and you never know what you are getting. Like the other guys said keep on looking and buy private.
Completely disagree. It depends on what you are looking for, how much you know about it, and the model. If you do not know what you are doing, buying a car privately can end up to be a much more expensive experience in the short to medium term than buying from a reputable, well regarded dealer.
"a reputable, well regarded dealer"
Sorry to disagree no such thing as the above when it comes to selling used cars

#23 ·
Rolm said:
Boxer42 said:
Rolm said:
"a reputable, well regarded dealer"
Sorry to disagree no such thing as the above when it comes to selling used cars
Your comment is misguided, at best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.