Ferrari Life Forum banner

Would you drive a 250 GTO on a public street?

• All the time why not, it's just a car!

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Only for the very occasional Sunday drive

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • As little as possible

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Never in a million years

Votes: 3 9.4%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK it looks like I am alone on the 288 GTO discussion. So lets go with a $10,000,000 car. Would you drive it on a public road? In a city? How about on I-5 in L.A.?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Ok, now: on a 250GTO I would restrict use to only sunny Sundays!:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I wouldn't spend $10M on a car that I couldn't drive. I don't get satisfaction out of having a museum piece.

With that said, I would either not buy it or drive it as often as I could.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
if it is just to look at, then I wouldn´t pay for it

I would pay 10 million dollars in a car (if I had it to spare) to DRIVE it

if it is just to look at, buy a painting, a Picasso, whatever

·
Registered
33 Posts
~

NO QUESTION! I would drive a 250 if I owned one. Most Definitely, and in less then a heart beat. And I would drive it "ALL OVER!!!" How could one not?
Just think,... Driving the "Holly Grail" of the auto world. And yes I realize it is worth $10 mill, but it does not cost that to repair one.
What costs... Is the "TITLE" and the bragging rights to the Legend.
And after that! It would cost a little more to part with...

Is anyone giving one away????

~

·
Registered
72 Posts
Now here is where I draw the line, I can not in good consience say I would drive a $10,000,000 or so car around, just could not bring myself to do it, put it on the truck and go to the track sometimes, sure, but not on everyday streets as an accident would send me over the edge and the concept of my entire net worth being wraped up in a single car is a bit too much.

Mikel

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mikeltm said:
Now here is where I draw the line, I can not in good consience say I would drive a $10,000,000 or so car around, just could not bring myself to do it, put it on the truck and go to the track sometimes, sure, but not on everyday streets as an accident would send me over the edge and the concept of my entire net worth being wraped up in a single car is a bit too much.

Mikel
Finally someone that agrees with me. You buy a $10,000,000 for the same reasons you buy a Monet. When you buy a Monet you don't then put it on a wall where sun hits it all day. When you buy a $10,000,000 car you don't risk the SUV soccer Mom trashing your $10,000,000 investment in two quick seconds.

Look at what happened to the 250 GTO that was recently damaged on the public street! And it was at a 250 GTO anniversary event, nonetheless. The guy (I think Jon Shirley's?) was lucky it was only front damage and not a huge car that well...ripped it to pieces.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As I said in the 288 GTO discussion, I would drive it. But because of the costs of the car, not at daily base. I would try to take it to as mutch meetings as possible.

This will be the sad part. To have enough the cash to drive a 250 GTO, one will need to have a very good job and a huge netwerk of people. That will mean you haven't got a lot of free time.
Also (In my case), when I would have that mutch money, I would probably own a lot of Ferrari's (250 GT California Spider, F40, F50, Enzo, F355's, etc. etc.). I would want to use them all, so I'll have to switch every meeting. That will mean taking a 250 GTO drive happens only about 1 every 10 meetings or so...

·
Registered
613 Posts
btw:
Enzo250GTO said:
Look at what happened to the 250 GTO that was recently damaged on the public street! And it was at a 250 GTO anniversary event, nonetheless. The guy (I think Jon Shirley's?) was lucky it was only front damage and not a huge car that well...ripped it to pieces.
Did I miss something??

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
You only live once

Same as with the 288 GTO, if you can afford it drive it.
I doubt that any 250 GTO is 100% original.
Drive it, race it, service it, fix it.
As long as money was no object.
You wouldn't buy a £10m house and not live in it :)

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I seem to remember Nick Mason being quoted as saying he used the GTO for the school run when his other transport wouldn't start.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just couldn't buy a car to say I have it and not drive it. What's the point in having it, then? It's a car. There are pictures on the internet, in magazines, and in books.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
marlin said:
Same as with the 288 GTO, if you can afford it drive it.
I doubt that any 250 GTO is 100% original.
Drive it, race it, service it, fix it.
As long as money was no object.
You wouldn't buy a £10m house and not live in it :)
I think Kroyman would agree. Of all the 250 GTOs I know his sees the most pavement.

Until I have a $10,000,000 car in my garage my reality is distorted and I'm sticking to my guns that I wouldn't drive it. Perhaps if I had a networth of $300,000,000+ then crashing 3.3% of my networth wouldn't be so bad.

·
Registered
25 Posts
FerrariKiller said:
I wouldn't spend $10M on a car that I couldn't drive. I don't get satisfaction out of having a museum piece.

With that said, I would either not buy it or drive it as often as I could.
I agree with this; why would you buy a car if you don't drive/race it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Well...I DID drive a 250 GTO (#3987) on the public streets. It was my daily driver for three years. The only trouble I ever had with the car was after a day at Willow Springs raceway when the differential cracked, but nothing bad ever came from using it as transportation.

My friend Matthew used the famous Breadvan in a similar fashion. Yes, those were the days before the cars moved into the multi-million dollar neighborhood, so one might think I'm missing the point of this thread question. However, I'm reminded of the comment made by one enthusiastic classic driver--was it Neil Corner or Colin Crabbe?--who said the car isn't worth the millions, the title is. Mine was always kept in a safe place.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I mentioned this in the 288 post. 3851 gets used as a daily driver all the time and nothing has ever happened to it! It was in Forza Magazine issue 57. I would NOT trailer it everywhere. But Im not taking it to go to work either. Freeway ... I dont think so. But I think theres a place for driving a $10,000,000 car, and its not always on a track.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FunkyJunc said:
I mentioned this in the 288 post. 3851 gets used as a daily driver all the time and nothing has ever happened to it! It was in Forza Magazine issue 57. I would NOT trailer it everywhere. But Im not taking it to go to work either. Freeway ... I dont think so. But I think theres a place for driving a $10,000,000 car, and its not always on a track.
My guess is that it was a daily driver in the late '60s early '70s before the market prices skyrocketed.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
krasnavian said:
Well...I DID drive a 250 GTO (#3987) on the public streets. It was my daily driver for three years. The only trouble I ever had with the car was after a day at Willow Springs raceway when the differential cracked, but nothing bad ever came from using it as transportation.

My friend Matthew used the famous Breadvan in a similar fashion. Yes, those were the days before the cars moved into the multi-million dollar neighborhood, so one might think I'm missing the point of this thread question. However, I'm reminded of the comment made by one enthusiastic classic driver--was it Neil Corner or Colin Crabbe?--who said the car isn't worth the millions, the title is. Mine was always kept in a safe place.
And now it is a museumpiece with Ralph Lauren... At least you can say you drove it ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I will drive it outside the city on every dry weekend, meeting and trackday's But I'm curious how much the road insurance will cost, any idee? Rob

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
308ROB said:
I will drive it outside the city on every dry weekend, meeting and trackday's But I'm curious how much the road insurance will cost, any idee? Rob
That is a very good question. To insure a $10,000,000 car I am guessing you don't call your auto insurance agent. You would probably need someone that underwrites large policy's for assets like art, estates etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts