Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am interested in purchasing a Ferrari 458 but before I do, I'd like to know if its capable of driving in the winter. I live in the Lausanne, Geneva region and snows can get pretty thick. Is it possible if I change the tires perhaps?

Thank you and looking forward to some tips/feedback.

Cheers

·
Registered
406 Posts
How about an FF? Maybe a Range Rover. I use a steak knife for steak and a butter knife for butter.

As Chris Rock says " I could drive a car with my feet but it doesn't make it a good idea" A 458 on snow tires probably does ok in some light conditions but do you REALLY want to drive it in a blizzard? Is it going to be your absolute only car? If you have a quarter million dollars to spend on a car it seems you already have or could have at least a $2000 beater Suzuki Samurai or something.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hi, I am interested in purchasing a Ferrari 458 but before I do, I'd like to know if its capable of driving in the winter. I live in the Lausanne, Geneva region and snows can get pretty thick. Is it possible if I change the tires perhaps?

Cheers
Tips would be don't drive it in the winter, it's not designed for that. Buy a cheap SUV or 4wd wagon for that.

End of line.

·
Premium Member
11,885 Posts
Welcome to Ferrari life. The systems on the 458 and the advanced stability control, combined with modern snow tires (Pirelli Winter Sottozero recommended) make the car driveable in winter. The big problem, though is ground clearance. If the snow gets over about 10 cm deep, you can have some real problems. The nose lift kit would help at very low speeds, but even an FF will have problems with relatively deep snow.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
The other problem with driving a Ferrari in the snow is salt corrosion.

This is a real threat to your Ferrari as they don't lacquer their aluminium! It's openly exposed to the elements & once salt takes a hold it's very very difficult, if not impossible, to fully remove and it eats away at the aluminium like cancer :cry3:

·
Administrator
15,138 Posts

Cheers
Suggest you sign up for the Ferrari winter driving course next year and then decide if you want to drive a 458 in the snow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts