Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did you decide to buy a 456? What other cars were you considering, and why did you choose the 456?

For me I always wanted a 456 for as long as I can remember, but when I first started looking about 5 years ago it was just out of budget. I knew I wanted a Ferrari so I didnt even consider any other makes. It had to be a 4 seater too since we had a newborn, and a 2 seater just wouldnt get used.

Anyway I started looking at the Mondial and decided I wanted a Mondial t, found a low mileage model in France and snapped it up. The ended up as a write off and with the insurance proceeds I purchased another. The 456 was still out of reach. After a while the 2nd Ferrari had to go to help fund a house purchase, but the 456 was always at the back of my mind. Again no other car would do, it just had to be a Ferrari and this time a 456.

I spent probably the best part of two years researching the internet, and reading various books on the different models. I kept a track of prices and looked for the perfect car. I nearly purchased a 2001 456M Manual in TDF Blue. The interior was Blue Daytona seats with red inserts. It looked amazing! But upon closer inspection we realised it had been repaired from a pretty major accident.

Then whilst working abroad a friend called me and said a 1997 GTA had come up. 22K kms, but in yellow for a reasonable price. Yellow, you've gotta be kidding I thought, but lets check it out. I had the car inspected from Ferrari and a page and a half of things came up. I immediately thought no, but on looking at the issues they were all service bits, or minor things. I knew from research that the big items are expensive, but I would always give any car a major service anyway.

Without even seeing the car myself I OK'ed the purchase and my friend made payment on my behalf. A few days later he got my transfer and the car was transported 500 miles to my local dealer.

I remember going down to the dealer the day it got delivered and seeing it for the first time. I instantly loved the colour despite looking long and hard for a blue one for 2 years! I had the service done (all but Cambelts which had to wait until I got the car back to London - Long story there!).

Am I happy. You bet! What would I change it for now? Probably only a 612 F1, but hey thats the next goal.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Wait a min. I REMEMBER this 456....modificato :)

I remember when you got it....I am warming up, as I said, to this Yellow :)

Well, to answer your direct: I purchased, via an inquiry I made from an Ebay auction, from a dealer in La Jolla, CA who has been in the industry for over 25 years in exoctics.

According to many, and especially him, he is America's largest mover of Ferraris. This is somewhat true in that he does a LOT of wholesale, and the one in awhile sale retail to those that ask him. I found sportscarcompany to be ok to deal with and you usually get a correctly priced product. He, Jim Lyons, does not buy junk. I felt very much at home and he took the time to work with me.

I HAVE heard some less that adequate responses from some, but found their attitudes were way over the top. I tend to be a bit more easy going so didn't let my pride or expectations get in the way: I liked what I say and got it. IF I didn't, we let that one go...easy story.

Flew to La Jolla where Jim picked me up at the airport with my wife. After getting over the signing etc. and other nice details, we left for long drive back to Sonoma, CA [ http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=sonoma,+ca&ie=UTF8&ll=38.291621,-122.458313&spn=0.004926,0.008229&t=h&z=17 ] If you look hard, you can see the 456 on google maps :evilgrin: :

The pick below is one of my favorite wineries with the 456 at a recent party, about five miles from my home. Cordinu-Domain/Artisa, on a mountain top, where the exterior is covered in grass with glass extrussions, see my Youtube vid, which is lousy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75EvCjwbYiw

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait a min. I REMEMBER this 456....modificato :)

I remember when you got it....I am warming up, as I said, to this Yellow :)

Well, to answer your direct: I purchased, via an inquiry I made from an Ebay auction, from a dealer in La Jolla, CA who has been in the industry for over 25 years in exoctics.

According to many, and especially him, he is America's largest mover of Ferraris. This is somewhat true in that he does a LOT of wholesale, and the one in awhile sale retail to those that ask him. I found sportscarcompany to be ok to deal with and you usually get a correctly priced product. He, Jim Lyons, does not buy junk. I felt very much at home and he took the time to work with me.

I HAVE heard some less that adequate responses from some, but found their attitudes were way over the top. I tend to be a bit more easy going so didn't let my pride or expectations get in the way: I liked what I say and got it. IF I didn't, we let that one go...easy story.

Flew to La Jolla where Jim picked me up at the airport with my wife. After getting over the signing etc. and other nice details, we left for long drive back to Sonoma, CA [ http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=sonoma,+ca&ie=UTF8&ll=38.291621,-122.458313&spn=0.004926,0.008229&t=h&z=17 ] If you look hard, you can see the 456 on google maps :evilgrin: :

The pick below is one of my favorite wineries with the 456 at a recent party, about five miles from my home. Cordinu-Domain/Artisa, on a mountain top, where the exterior is covered in grass with glass extrussions, see my Youtube vid, which is lousy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75EvCjwbYiw
Hi Rik. Nice story! I've always loved your car in that colour. Sounds like you purchased the car through a good dealer which is always piece of mind. I recognise the name now from the other site. Good to see you here too.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Mr. Lyons is a great person and a friend. He runs a good business, and he's very honest.

I see him frequently in La Jolla.

He is now directly across the street from Symbolic Motors in a very small building that can house maybe 3 cars at the most.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
How many miles did you end up doing in the 456, and how did you find it?
In the end I did about 6,000 km in the 456 GT before basically trading it in against the 365 BB. It is the one Ferrari that I have to honestly say I bought poorly. It came with extensive service records showing significant investments in all sorts of different issues over several years. My reading on it was this is a well cared for Ferrari that should be relatively pain free going forward. Big mistake, in this case it was an early 456 GT probably constructed on a Friday afternoon in late July after a long Pino Grigio fueled lunch. On the day I first picked it up, the electric fans failed and it overheated. On the first major trip the cambelts slipped (2 teeth) and the final straw was having to replace the clutch (horn and radio also died).

In fairness to the model, my understading now is a few of the early cars had plenty of problems but the later, and especially the "M" are signifiacntly improved.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Mr. Lyons is a great person and a friend. He runs a good business, and he's very honest.

I see him frequently in La Jolla.

He is now directly across the street from Symbolic Motors in a very small building that can house maybe 3 cars at the most.

GC, Tell Jim 'hi' for me next time you see him and tell him the 456 is doing well.

rik

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Boxer

ya' sorry to say these cars, truly are, not without issues.....but, once sorted out....worth it.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
GC, Tell Jim 'hi' for me next time you see him and tell him the 456 is doing well.

rik
I will do that and I'll post a few pics of his small location.

Some time ago the building was a small Ferrari sales facility. It may even have been Symbolic's first location there.

I will ask Jim about the history.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts