Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some think a V-8 is cool. Nay. No one is that stupid.

Maybe it is the price. Nope. If you can get a V-8, then you can get a V-12.

Some may believe the V-8 can be driven a distance. No, there is no place to carry the things a woman needs for a weekend. A V-8 is only for a Sunday drive. One cannot go any place with it. One cannot go to the golf course with it.

What is the purpose of a new V-8 Ferrari? Maybe it is to show off. Yes, that is it. An older one shows class but newer ones (360 or 430) means they have the money but not the brain.

Darn, maybe I should just not say anything. No, I cannot. A mass production car is just a mass production car. Think Porsche, BWM, Corvette, or Mercedes Benz. Lambos are Lambos. Enough said about those things. V-12 is the only way to drive a fine car.

OK. Now all of you who drive learner Ferraris can tell me why I am wrong.

:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
i am :)

Not necessarily, as thinking long term the cost to maintain a 12-cyl can go up dramatically compared to its 8-cyl counterpart. Engine out service versus leaving engine in the car is but one of the many benefits of a V8.

Some may believe the V-8 can be driven a distance. No, there is no place to carry the things a woman needs for a weekend. A V-8 is only for a Sunday drive. One cannot go any place with it. One cannot go to the golf course with it.
Guess my 45+ track days in the 308 and countless days to the beach, shopping, joyrides, etc count as 'Sunday drives?' As for storage, the trunk has quite a bit of room.

What is the purpose of a new V-8 Ferrari? Maybe it is to show off. Yes, that is it. An older one shows class but newer ones (360 or 430) means they have the money but not the brain.
Enzo used everything from 4-cyl and 8 and 12s to race. Yes, even a 4-cyl!

Darn, maybe I should just not say anything. No, I cannot. A mass production car is just a mass production car. Think Porsche, BWM, Corvette, or Mercedes Benz. Lambos are Lambos. Enough said about those things. V-12 is the only way to drive a fine car.
In your opinion and you are entitled to that.

Here are three reasons/casual Sunday drives with other gentleman drivers. http://www.enjoythetrack.com/video/

Every try a (heavier) stock Ferrari 12-cyl versus a lighter 8 on the track? You DO track your Ferrari, right? Got any track videos? i ask again, of course you track your car, right, or do you live in Germany?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't disagree...

I can't dsagree as I am in the process of trying to find a 12 cylinder 550/575 to replace my 360. (see my post this morning) I think these cars are far better values today than the 8 cylinder cars and display an understated elegance that combines beauty and performance without begging for attention.

Your comments are obviously provocative and perhaps a bit extreme, but I think accurate from my perspective.

·
Administrator
15,145 Posts

Count me in the idiot pile.

Well my V 8 costs just a bit more than a V 12. As a matter of fact I sold three 12 cylinder Ferraris to get one 8 Cylinder Pracing Horse.

Ah, actually no. I have driven a few V-8s across Europe on week long trips. Plenty of luggage room.

You might consider that the newer V 8 owners buy them for dual road and track usage. There is a reason Ferrari sold a 360 Challenge Stradale and did not create a 575 Challenge Stradale.

Darn, maybe I should just not say anything.

Good idea.

No, I cannot. A mass production car is just a mass production car. Think Porsche, BWM, Corvette, or Mercedes Benz. Lambos are Lambos. Enough said about those things. V-12 is the only way to drive a fine car.

You are wrong, very wrong.

The choice of which Ferari to buy is a very personal decision. There is no right or wrong decision.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
OK, we've all known Bart for how long? We know how passionate he is about his 550 and the 12 cylinders under the hood. Would you expect any other post from him? His words were to get YOUR passion up. And it worked.

He invited us to tell him our thoughts and included a smiley face:
OK. Now all of you who drive learner Ferraris can tell me why I am wrong. :)
So why are you wrong Bart? I'll tell you. People who drive V-8 Ferraris are just as passionate about the car of their dreams as you are with the car of your dreams. 'Nuff said. I've got the car of my dreams. It was the one I fell in love with and also the one that was way out of reach when I first saw it on TV when I was a teenager. The one I pointed to and said, "Wow, it would be so awesome to have that car!" The one that my family and friends said, "There is no way you could ever afford that car." The one that is now sitting in my garage.

So for me it is personal. Would I like a 12 cylinder Ferrari? Sure. Of course I would. Would it make me happier than my 8 cylinder version? Not likely, I'm quite happy with my 308. I'd be hard pressed to sell my 308 and "upgrade" to a 12 cylinder model.

On my list of things to do in life: 1 - Own a Ferrari. OK, check that box off. What's next?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
ok, you guys took it personally, I don't think you should have done it

I love Ferrari's engines, it doesn't matter to me if they have 6 or 12 or 8 or 4 cylinders

but let's take the V8's side, since they are under attack (friendly fire, I must say!)

what is the ultimate Ferrari? I think we all agree it is the F2007 F1 car, right?

what engine does the ultimate Ferrari have? OH YES, it's a V8

I rest my case!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Who Cares??

Who cares V8 or V12???

From my point of view it is a Ferrari!!!!!!!!!!!

My personal preference is the 355 which is what I own but I would be happy to just have any Ferrari. Yesterday there was a show of some kind in the city with Ferrari's and I saw lots of V8 and V12 on the road.

The answer to the question they were all beautiful!!!

So I like reading posts in this forum but lets keep it nice and talk about the beauty of Ferrari's and the pleasure of driving them as opposed to V12 is better than V8 or vice versa,

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I deleted my posts....

Staying out of this one.

~

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ahhh, Bart,

Have a quick look at one of my earlier postings please?

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=47957#post47957

There you'll see a couple of photos of:

A) My V8 in the snow, on my way from Amsterdam to Venice, Italy (a 1000 mile drive through wintery Europe, including crossing the Alps)

B) My girlfriend, happy as the proverbial clam, with all of her stuff in the trunk of the GT4....

err....

Of course, there is no reason to trash a perfectly good theory, just because it has proven to be untrue.... One should never be mislead by facts...

:cool:

Hans :drive:

·
Registered
151 Posts

I wonder if Bart, as passionate as he is about the 550, would swap his 12 for an 8 if it was in the guise of the 288 GTO ?

Bart- I agree with much and disagree with the other 50%....

Argento

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why buy a V-8 Ferrari?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most moronic thing I've ever read.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just realized your post was meant to be tongue in cheek. My apologies (I'm new here). But seriously, Bart, are you telling me you don't want this:

What's that stuff coming out of your mouth? Is it drool? Wipe it off!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, Enzo250GTO.:) I will ignore Fart from now on.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts