Ferrari Life Forum banner

Which one is the best : 360 Modena or 550 Maranello ?

6K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Boxer 
#1 ·
Hi to everyone. I would like to buy a Ferrari soon, but I still don't know which one : 360 Modena or 550 Maranello ? Most of people tell me that 360 is better... I would drive it only 3000 or 4000 km per year. And of course, what about the running costs ?

Could you help me ?

#2 ·
The car you want is the car that suits you best. Do you want a sportcar for the weekend (360) or a high speed touringcar? (550). use the search option in the drop down menu in the top left and look for some more info on this site. There is enough to find ;)

Welcome here :)

#4 ·
Boxer42 said:
I think this is a topic for Stradale and Bart. :wink:
I was thinking the same thing. :wink:

Bart: The 550 is the greatest in the world!

Stradale: For an old guy maybe. The 360 CS is best.

Bart: No...the 550

Stradale: 360 CS!!

Bart: 550!!

and on, and on, and on... :green: :green: :green:

#6 ·
Cost of ownership of the two cars will not be significantly different. My suggestion is to first drive the two cars, then decide what you are using it for. The 360 is more aggressive while the 550 is your classic front engine GT. For raw speed the 550 is better. For track use the 360 is better. I would personally go with the 360.

#7 ·
Sorry - in my rush to be hilarious I forgot to answer.

I think Dr Bob's quite right. You're talking about two very different cars. No question they're both fabulous - as Bart and Stradale will unquestionably tell you.

It's a little like asking which is best out of a Rolls and a Hummer!! Neither, they're different!!

Personally, unless you're looking for something to howl about in like a lunatic on Sunday Mornings only (in which case the 360 is the one) the 550 is more flexible. It'll give you 95% of the performance of the 360, plus do a lot more that the 360 won't do.

#10 ·
Paco said:
Hi to everyone. I would like to buy a Ferrari soon, but I still don't know which one : 360 Modena or 550 Maranello ? Most of people tell me that 360 is better... I would drive it only 3000 or 4000 km per year. And of course, what about the running costs ?

Could you help me ?
It depends what your usage will be. If you're going for long distances then choose the 550 because there's nothing better in cross-country travelling than a 550. The 550 is heavy but very comfortable over long distances. But if your usage is more of short distances, then the 360 Modena is better. It's light and more nimble and easier to handle. It's ideal if you're going to do the occasional track day outing.

#12 ·
In many ways the 360 is similar to the 308. Both are high volume (for Ferrari) cars which have excellent reputations. I expect that the 360 will age well and demand will be strong over time. Prices on 360's probably have not stabilized yet, and certainly late models still have a fair amount of depreciation to be incurred.

On the 550, production numbers are significanly less than the 360 so it is by definition a rarer car which should have an impact on long term value. Having said that though, a fairly large number of 550's were produced so it is never going to be a rare Ferrari. History indicates that generally 12 cylinder 2 seat Ferrari's tend to hold value a bit better than 8 cylinder models but this does vary by model. The design of the 550 is not as universally praised as other models so this may impact long term values.

#15 ·
The 550 is the prettiest design of a car ever. Nothing comes close to her beauty. One must look at a car for what is does overall. The 575 is a 550, which has had an air pump used on it.

Driving a V-12 is smooth. A V-8 or a Boxer 6 is rough.

When going slow, one may be in need of acceleration. The 550 keeps going until I will not go to the limit of it. The little brother V-8 is much slower at real speeds.

The Maranello will carry things, which I require to live. Therefore, I may use the car for longer than a few hours. I can go days in style.

Flash is not what I wish for but elegance. Tell me the Modena has elegance.

The 360 may take me in the short little twisties but in real roads, I will have lunch.

The price ones pays is what one will paid. I never buy anything for myself with the thought of selling it. What I buy for me is until it wears out. A toy is not an investment.

Gee, they made 3,715 of my car. That is two or three a day. The amount of little V-8s made in a year, is as many as mine during its entire run. There are not many of the finest.

Which model do you wish to own?

8)

#22 ·
Paco said:

Could you help me ?
Paco the 550 look like an overgrown Toyota Supra. Much as I love the 550, the styling is not that of a surecar. Ferrari faulted on the design when they decided to do a front engine rear wheel drive car. It's a GT (Gran Tourer) and not a sports car and it doesn't even look like a supercar. If you want a true sports car get the 360 Modena.

#23 ·
Stradale said:
Paco said:

Could you help me ?
Paco the 550 look like an overgrown Toyota Supra. Much as I love the 550, the styling is not that of a surecar. Ferrari faulted on the design when they decided to do a front engine rear wheel drive car. It's a GT (Gran Tourer) and not a sports car and it doesn't even look like a supercar. If you want a true sports car get the 360 Modena.
What attributes differentiate a Sports Car from a GT ? Ferrari seems to classify all modern road cars as GT's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.