Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

What do you all like in the ways of shifting, paddle, or manual?? Which is faster? Cuz I seen this video of a Japanese race, found on limewire, the vid was taken from the 3rd starting car, a 360, forget the second starting car manufacture, but the 1st was also a 360... The first one had a stick and the 3rd place car had a paddle shifter, in the race the manual ferrari seemed to be able to go much faster than the paddle shifting 360.......I guess what I am after is, the racing 360's, how does the manual stack up to the paddles......?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Agree with Boxer, paddle shift is faster. Not just for upshift, but also faster for critical downshifting/rev matching. What you may be seeing in that video is that a slower car has a better driver and/or better prepared car so the manual shift 'won.'

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
the fastest F1 gearbox produced by Ferrari (besides de F1 cars, of course) is the FXX gearbox, the second fastest is the 599 GTB gearbox, and the third fastest is the Enzo Ferrari gearbox

yes, the 599 is fastest than the Enzo!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Next generation ferrari F1 transmission, shifts 300 miliseconds before you tutch the paddle. At this rate it's gonna have to happen

·
Registered
28 Posts
kensei said:
Next generation ferrari F1 transmission, shifts 300 miliseconds before you tutch the paddle. At this rate it's gonna have to happen

Nice. But not as good as the 3rd gen. SMG gearbox. =) M5 gearbox is faster. =)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The real issue with a paddle shift type transmission in a race car that provides a performance edge is not so much the relative shifting speeds but the reduced work load for the driver that allows him to pay more attention, mentally and physically to driving the car. I never confirmed it but was told by Ferrari at the intro of the street F1's in 355's that even though the race cars had a rocky start with the F1 technology (several DNF's) that they won every race in the rain due to the drivers being able to pay more attention to the real job at hand, driving the car, and allowing the computers to do what they can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts