Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son asked me an interesting question this evening, which I thought I'd post to find out what you think.

Which Grands Prix would you most and least like to go to?

I found it difficult to answer, as I would like to go to all of them for different reasons. There are the obvious historical and nostalgic reasons for places like Monaco, The Nurburgring or Monza. Spa is widely considered to be the best circuit. I love to travel so far flung and exotic places like Japan, Brazil, China, Singapore, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain are all on my list of places to visit.

I go to the British GP at Silverstone every year, and wouldn't miss it for anything. Later this year, I'm meeting Pete at the Singapore GP. I'm planning on going to at least one foreign GP a year from now on, and will probably take my son to Spa, Germany or Monza next year

But are there any that I wouldn't really want to go to? Not really, but the only places that don't really have any appeal for me are Turkey, Barcelona or Valencia. Not that there is anything wrong with the countries as I like Turkey (I own a property 10 miles off the Turkish coast) and I frequently visit the Costa Blanca, they just don't have the same glamour that some of the other races do.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
most like to go but might make it anyway would be Monaco. WIll be there in 2010 on a sailing cruise anyway so, might look up the possibilities: we both like F1

Orient would be most likely

Brazile or certainly Australia, least likely but both appeal.

As a side note, I would love to see F1 at Infineon as it could be modified very easily and hold the traffic quite well....AND it's close

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The atmosphere in Brazil would be electric, they are the most passionate sporting fans in the world, dare I say even more passionate than the Italians, it's definitely on my list of GP's to go to.

Monaco is a must too, but accomodation and ticket prices are extortionate. My flight to Singapore has cost less than a cheap ticket for Monaco.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
The atmosphere in Brazil would be electric, they are the most passionate sporting fans in the world, dare I say even more passionate than the Italians, it's definitely on my list of GP's to go to.

Monaco is a must too, but accomodation and ticket prices are extortionate. My flight to Singapore has cost less than a cheap ticket for Monaco.

anything in Brazil is pasionate :D

keep the son away from Ipanema....then again, interlagos is a bit distant..from that beach...

the gals :) the suits

heard it's very nice there, but don't venture out alone.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Guys, I guess it's time for you to come visit me hehehehe

the ONE GP I'd have loved to watch live was here in Brazil, 2008, but because of work I couldn't go =(

Granucci, have you been to Ipanema already? I pass by Rio de Janeiro every 14 days......

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have been to Grands Prix at Monza, Monaco, Spa, Zeltweg, Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Paul Ricard, Barcelona, Magny Cours, Hockenheim, Imola. Of those that are current venues, my favourite is certainly Monza. I love the atmosphere, the Ferrari-mad fans, the track invasion at the end, the awesome banking, the fabulous bookshop in the paddock and everything about it. I enjoyed Monaco, although the practice days are better as you have more chance to get around. It is a great event though. I haven't looked at the prices lately but when I went it wasn't that expensive (grandstands cheaper than SIlverstone and you can get up early and watch from various spots for nothing) if you didn't stay in one of the top hotels.

I hated the 'new' Hockenheim even though I went in 2003 and Schumacher won:thumbsup: I much preferred the old track, especially that frisson of excitement as you could hear the engines away into the forest on the first lap.

I was lucky enough to go to the first race at Barcelona (the famous race with Mansell and Senna inches apart, sparks flying, down the main straight) and it was superb. Unfortunately they do so much testing there now the races are usually intensely dull. A real shame. Silverstone is a dump. Flat. Boring. My least favourite Grand Prix venue.

Spa is a great track but the chance of getting soaked there is pretty high and there is only one grandstand with a roof on.

Brands Hatch and Zeltweg were both brilliant Grand Prix venues and I loved Imola too.

Of the current venues I haven't been to, I can't see any good reason to go to any of the tedious, tedious Tilke-drones. The one possible exception being Malaysia. I would certainly like to visit Interlagos. That's pretty much the lot, isn't it? Montreal is a real loss. I didn't think a great deal of the Singapore night race last year. It was just like watching a video game. I'd much rather they ran it in daylight.

Jonathan

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
I don't deserve to make a post here cause of my lack of knowledge and interest in F1s. I am not an avid follower of the events. I never went to the F1s in Japan yet (altho, the idea crosses my mind). Still, being an ignorant in this, the F1 at Monaco seems interesting, solely based on the venue, of course reality aside. Hope to make it to Europe sometime soon. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been to Grands Prix at Monza, Monaco, Spa, Zeltweg, Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Paul Ricard, Barcelona, Magny Cours, Hockenheim, Imola. Of those that are current venues, my favourite is certainly Monza. I love the atmosphere, the Ferrari-mad fans, the track invasion at the end, the awesome banking, the fabulous bookshop in the paddock and everything about it. I enjoyed Monaco, although the practice days are better as you have more chance to get around. It is a great event though. I haven't looked at the prices lately but when I went it wasn't that expensive (grandstands cheaper than SIlverstone and you can get up early and watch from various spots for nothing) if you didn't stay in one of the top hotels.

I hated the 'new' Hockenheim even though I went in 2003 and Schumacher won:thumbsup: I much preferred the old track, especially that frisson of excitement as you could hear the engines away into the forest on the first lap.

I was lucky enough to go to the first race at Barcelona (the famous race with Mansell and Senna inches apart, sparks flying, down the main straight) and it was superb. Unfortunately they do so much testing there now the races are usually intensely dull. A real shame. Silverstone is a dump. Flat. Boring. My least favourite Grand Prix venue.

Spa is a great track but the chance of getting soaked there is pretty high and there is only one grandstand with a roof on.

Brands Hatch and Zeltweg were both brilliant Grand Prix venues and I loved Imola too.

Of the current venues I haven't been to, I can't see any good reason to go to any of the tedious, tedious Tilke-drones. The one possible exception being Malaysia. I would certainly like to visit Interlagos. That's pretty much the lot, isn't it? Montreal is a real loss. I didn't think a great deal of the Singapore night race last year. It was just like watching a video game. I'd much rather they ran it in daylight.

Jonathan
Pretty impressive list of GP's you've been to Jonathan, and some of them from the good old days of the 80's and early 90's. I was really into it back in those days but didn't have the funds to go to the venues.
I lost interest in F1 during the late 90's and didn't get back into it until the 07 season started. ITV's coverage, the new tactical races where races were run on pit stop strategy put me off. The races became very dull processions. However, I have my son to thank for my renewed interest, it is all he talks about, and as I have stopped wasting my money on football, rugby and drinking we've decided to start going to F1 races and seeing a bit more of the world in the process.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't deserve to make a post here cause of my lack of knowledge and interest in F1s. I am not an avid follower of the events. I never went to the F1s in Japan yet (altho, the idea crosses my mind). Still, being an ignorant in this, the F1 at Monaco seems interesting, solely based on the venue, of course reality aside. Hope to make it to Europe sometime soon. w/ smiles Jimmy
Doesn't mean that you can't post Jimmy:happy2: I rarely know what I'm talking about, but still post regularly. If you have an opinion, share it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Pretty impressive list of GP's you've been to Jonathan, and some of them from the good old days of the 80's and early 90's. I was really into it back in those days but didn't have the funds to go to the venues.
I lost interest in F1 during the late 90's and didn't get back into it until the 07 season started. ITV's coverage, the new tactical races where races were run on pit stop strategy put me off. The races became very dull processions. However, I have my son to thank for my renewed interest, it is all he talks about, and as I have stopped wasting my money on football, rugby and drinking we've decided to start going to F1 races and seeing a bit more of the world in the process.
Believe me it was a whole lot cheaper back then and I don't mean just allowing for basic inflation. I booked to go the Belgian GP in 1985, which turned out to be the race where the track melted in the heat (not a typical Spa!). Anyway, I was on the coach at Dover when we got word the race had been cancelled. When I got the details through for the re-scheduled race late in the year, Bernie Ecclestone had taken over the promotion and the price that had bought a grandstand seat in May would only just cover general admission in September.

I sympathise with your viewpoint. My last GP was Hockenheim 2003. What put me off going was the ever sillier rules and especially that it all seemed to mean less and less action on track (I hated the single lap, one at a time qualifying). Thankfully some of that has been undone somewhat but there is still disgustingly little thought given to the spectators who are expected to pay stupid amounts of money just to get in.

I still follow it all though and I still long for the day when we're finally shot of Mad Max Mosleyscum and Bernie Ecclestone who have long outstayed their welcome to the sport. Hopefully, whoever follows them will fix some of the problems (I'm tempted to reel off a list, but Ill spare you that digression).

Jonathan

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still follow it all though and I still long for the day when we're finally shot of Mad Max Mosleyscum and Bernie Ecclestone who have long outstayed their welcome to the sport. Hopefully, whoever follows them will fix some of the problems (I'm tempted to reel off a list, but Ill spare you that digression).

Jonathan
I think the majority will agree with you, and from what I read the teams will be delighted too. F1 is a money spinner and with global TV rights, emerging economies, internet, mobile broadband...etc Bernie has really milked F1 for everything he can, and worse still he's selling F1 to whichever circuit will pay him the most money. It is more about the business than the racing and spectator enjoyment, but I don't see that ever changing now as all sports have gone that way, Premier League, Professional Rugby Union, Rugby Superleague and even cricket with the 20/20 series and that stupid 20/20 million thing that Alun Stanford was involved with.

Go to the official F1 website and look at the prices of tickets, they really are extortionate now http://www.formula1.com/services/tickets_and_travel.html

·
Registered
90 Posts
Been to Monaco (circa '90) and would love to go again since I'm really into cars even more. Don't know how good it is in person, but wouldn't mind seeing F1 at Indy.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Granucci, have you been to Ipanema already? I pass by Rio de Janeiro every 14 days......

Furthest south I've been was just enough to get initiated into the Royal kingdom.. I iz now a trusted Shellback :)

no longer a pollywog

Brazil is one place I want to go other than this one. World's largest pool in Chile...we were thinking of retireing there, as the condo prices are not that bad

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Furthest south I've been was just enough to get initiated into the Royal kingdom.. I iz now a trusted Shellback :)

no longer a pollywog

Brazil is one place I want to go other than this one. World's largest pool in Chile...we were thinking of retireing there, as the condo prices are not that bad
If you do come to Brazil let me know!

And very cool pool, but it must be a pain to keep it clean!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts