Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posting a message on another forum got sour responses to this car I was looking at: http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106454

they said it was way to high for a 360, only thing Im trying to find now is where to find a cheaper black 360 spider? I personal don't see how its priced to high being as black spider is harder to find, and it has low milage. I am seeing nothing for the suggested price of 140k... any help would be great

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
First of all, I would like to say that is an immaculent car. I don't own a Ferrari, and I am definately not an expert. I am a huge enthusiast, and hopeful future owner. So take my information as a grain of salt.

Now down to the price of the car. I have looked all over the internet at the 360's, and the average price of the "stock" 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider is over $170,000. I saw a couple at $200,000+, so with the amount of things added to this car, I don't understand why the people on that forum thought that the price was to high. For a quick comparison take a look at the 360s on autotrader, cars.com, or independent Ferrari dealers, they are all about that price, a little lower, or a little above. But, this car is from a private owner. So the history of the car is important to have.

Well thats just my 2 cents worth. Good luck, and I hope you get the car, it's magnificent!

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am in the market for a 360 spider and the only thing in the 140's are high (15K+) cars that don't look quite as nice. That sid, I have yet to make any "serious" offers.

On that topic, I would love to hear back from any of the participants how much "wiggle room" there is in some of the pricing. I looked at a 2004 360 spider with an ask of $175,000 and the original sticker (with some nice options) was $189,000. I know they original owner paid a premium, but I would suspect that given the growing softness in the f430 market due to the successor's looming arrival, the 360s should be lower...

Any thoughts appreciated...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao first time post

I am in the market for a 360 spider and the only thing in the 140's are high (15K+) cars that don't look quite as nice. That sid, I have yet to make any "serious" offers.

On that topic, I would love to hear back from any of the participants how much "wiggle room" there is in some of the pricing. I looked at a 2004 360 spider with an ask of $175,000 and the original sticker (with some nice options) was $189,000. I know they original owner paid a premium, but I would suspect that given the growing softness in the f430 market due to the successor's looming arrival, the 360s should be lower...

Any thoughts appreciated...
Question why are you willing to spend $60,000 more for a 2004 360 with 10,000 miles when you can buy a 2000 with 11,000miles for $115,000 there are a few to choose from in auto-trader. I know it's newer but it's not like it is a different model and if the 2000 are going for $60,000 less your 2004 will eventually equal that price due to supply and demand do you have $60,000 to throw away?

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
One thing to clear up: 15K miles is not a lot for a 360. It is entirely up to you, of course, but you have to realise that modern Ferrari's are built to drive. A lot! In Europe, it is difficult to find examples that have less than 15K miles on them, and you pay a large premium on them whereas cars that have driven more will often run better.

In the US you can find lower mileage ones much easier, but even there you will pay a hefty premium.

What you need to decide is this: where on the depreciation curve do I want to buy? Just make sure you don't fall for these myths:

Myth 1: I will buy a low-mileage, recent, example to protect my resale value as I do not intend to drive the car much.

On a modern Ferrari, the premium you pay for the low-mileage and recent year of manufacture will ALWAYS be less than the premium you get on resale. This is because the car is depreciating faster on age and model than it is appreciating on mileage and condition.

Myth 2: I need to buy a low-mileage Ferrari to avoid large bills. Ferrari's with high mileage will fall apart

In fact, the opposite is true (up to a point). High-mileage examples, provided that maintenance is not behind schedule, are usually in better mechanical condition than parked-up vehicles. When standing still, a car is deteriorating. A Ferrari needs regular driving up to operating temperature to keep running well. This is true just as much for old ones as it is for new ones, although the new ones can take a beating much better (being driven in rain, snow, and such).

Taking that knowledge into account, I bought a 2000 550 with 14k miles last year. It was enough so that the car was regularly driven (average 2k miles per annum), but not so much that the car didn't look like new. I paid a little premium on it because it was (and is) in spectacular mechanical condition. There was a cheaper 1997 one with only 3,000 miles for sale in Germany, but I preferred what-is-now-mine because it was just very well sorted.

If you are happy to pay extra for the newer, low-mileage version then that is what you must do, and I completely understand that. Just do it for the right reasons: because you want as close to a new one as you can afford. Don't believe the myths that people use as excuses.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
14 Posts
talking about the 360, i wonder what's the difference between a 2000 and a 2002 for example ....? is there any "radical" improvement on any specific year/model ?? is there any year/model more desirable than other .. ?

i agree that is BS to pay 60.000 more just because is 2 years newer ..
if milleage is not excesive and is a well cared car, i see no reason to plunk that amount or money ... (if you can, is anothetr story ..)

opinions wanted ....
rgds
eloy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
talking about the 360, i wonder what's the difference between a 2000 and a 2002 for example ....? is there any "radical" improvement on any specific year/model ?? is there any year/model more desirable than other .. ?

i agree that is BS to pay 60.000 more just because is 2 years newer ..
if milleage is not excesive and is a well cared car, i see no reason to plunk that amount or money ... (if you can, is anothetr story ..)

opinions wanted ....
rgds
eloy
The main difference is with the F1 gearbox. Later models come with upgraded software (this can updated ont eh earlier ones by the dealer).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts