Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide which type/model/year Ferrari to buy. I want a daily driver. Actually half a daily driver. I have a 57 Porsche Speedster. It's a convertible, so I want either a targa-top or hard-top. I've talked to a couple of used Ferrari dealers. They suggest I stick with a 308, the years 83, 84 or 85 since they have a quattro-valvoe engine. Supposedly a more bullet proof engine than the other years. I don't want to spend over $40K, so I think I may need to look only for a 308, not 328s or other models (I'm in NO rush and don't mind waiting for a GREAT deal). I found a 308 GTSi for $28.6K. It's a Calif car, so smog shouldn't be a problem, neither rust. Is $28.6K a good price(bad, fair, great deal?)? Should I be concerned about anything else being a Calif car? It only has 40K miles and has a great maintenance record. Supposedly it's been well kept up.

Besides buying the right car for the amount of miles I plan to drive. And know, I'm totally done with racing around, so other than after first buying it, I don't plan to go more than 90mph. How much should I expect to spend on typical annual maintenance issues? Again, driving 15K/yr. I understand a big expense is fan belts??? That it may cost around $4-5K when needed (30K miles?). Is there any other regular/periodic service issues that I should expect? How much? How often?

I very much appreciate your thoughts, opinions, advice... also the GOOD and BAD.

Thanks,
diz

·
Registered
14 Posts
Diz,
The major services @ every 15k miles are the expensive part . At 30k mile intervals or the five year mark Ferrari recommends that the "TIMING" belts be replaced. The best thing about servicing a 308 is that the engine does not have to come out for belt replacement as they can be done through the rear wheel wells saving time and service expense. Make sure the car has no damage history (no brainer) and has all the books,tools,keys and service history. Or if you wish feel free to call me 2 954-785-5810 as I have several 308's available to me for sale. If per chance you purchase one of these cars thru me I will be happy to make a donation to the list as well.
Daniel

·
Registered
476 Posts
Zack I don't know if you're still out there but, I've been investigating 308 prices as well. From another site this was the consensus on pricing

“Paul, IMHO, ACTUAL SELLING PRICES on 308s will somewhere in this range:

carbed - $20k-$30k
injected - $15k-$25k
QV - $20k-$34k

big range, yes, but there can huge differences in condition, care and
mileage. Anything beyond $34-35k and you should consider a 328. Only a handful of excellent carbed 308s should being with a "3", and not that many QVs either. (yes, I'll probably get flamed for this.)”

From what I’ve observed this is spot on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hope I don't get flamed or railed... but I bought a G35. Love the car... it's great... plus I don't need to worry about all that "Ferrari stuff"!

Thanks for the advice.

Zack

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
zack356 said:
Hope I don't get flamed or railed... but I bought a G35. Love the car... it's great... plus I don't need to worry about all that "Ferrari stuff"!

Thanks for the advice.

Zack
Zack,

No problems. Post some photos in the Garage as I'm sure most would enjoy sharing in the pride of your G35. Stick around, you can always make your next car a Ferrari. There isn't really much 'ferrari stuff' to deal with. The cars are a pleasure to own and one of a kind in every respect.

·
Registered
476 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Once I get a job I think I'll be in the market for a used Ferrari. I'd love to snag that Testarossa but the maintance would kill me so I'd better stick to the 308. My dream for a 1st Ferrari would be a Dino 246 GT but they go for 70,000-90,000. :cry:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Right behind you on the Dino. Testa Rossa cost won't be that much more than a 308 IMO. The engine is easier to remove for the belt service. Something you could do yourself. The valve adjustment would be a bear... but once the engines out it's just time and patience.

Then again I think you could do the belts on a 308 with the engine still in the car. So much room in there to work compared to my MR2Turbo.... :roll:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beautiful Testarossa, very reasonalble price, however it's a euro model. Nothing wrong with that but these are normally much more affordable then a US car since they are usually considerded a "grey" market car. Note the "B" in the 8th digit of the VIN.
A US model would have an "A"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts