Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of talk about cats vs. no cats, but what things can happen when one of these goes out??
Can you actually get more HP since the cat matrix has disintegrated??

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone...Anyone??

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
When one goes out ???

You mean removed or when it fails/rotten

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Magnum6464 said:
You mean removed or when it fails/rotten
I mean when it fails...does it get clogged with soot?

·
Registered
72 Posts
The cat failed in my Viper and it became very plugged up, as a result the car would warm up and then stop running correctly ie, loss of power, engine temp rise, essentially just running on 5 cylinders. Removed both and substituted a straight pipe in place and it ran great, but at that point I was tampering with emmisions equipment, not that that stopped me but....

Mikel

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
When a catalytic converter fails its clogs…the inside is made of miniature honey comb tubes that filter exhausts going out. When it fails, its broken into pieces and seriously restricts the flow of the exhaust and reduces horsepower. Since cats already produce enormous heat, a clogged one produces dangerously high temperatures and can most likely cause a fire, not to mention very poor performance. You can remove it if you want and buy a replacement pipe or remove the cat, break up everything inside with a rod and empty it. It saves the cost of a pipe and still looks like a cat is on the car. A removed/emptied cat provides about 20-30 hp especially if you have two of them.

Here is a picture to see what it looks like inside…

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magnum6464 said:
Here is a picture to see what it looks like inside…
What a complex structure. At the same time, I can see how restrictive a cat is to the otherwise normal exhaust flow and thus reduce overall HP.
Thanks.:)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kensei said:
tisk tisk you must have raised the earths temapature by .001% lol
I was actually hoping for a full degree!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts