Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somehow i forgot to post up about this last week,,and i cant seem to get to sleep,,,,while i have this on my mind...anyways,,,last saturday while i was driving up the 405 over to Ladera,,to see my friend Rick,,,i felt a nasty shake through the steering wheel at 80 MPH....now,,im not sure,,but all summer long,,,my steering felt smooth at all speeds,,, but not on this day,,,,my guess was that one or both of my front wheels was probably out of balence,,,so i kept it at 65-70...so on thursday,,my day off,,i took the car to my tire shop,,,where they rotate and balence your tires for free as long as you bought them there,,the tech found that the right front was off by 2.5 ounces,,,he then rebalenced it and remounted both wheels....with the 328 s non power assisted rack and pinion,,,if a tire is out of balence,,any bumps i go over are then x-as-er-bated and are felt as a nasty shake in the steering wheel,,which was what i felt on saturday,,and that sucks,,for sure,,,,i have not had the car out on the freeway since last saturday,,but im sure the issue will be corrected,,,a long while back,,when i used a shop out in OC<,,the mechanic used to use an electric motor,,to spin the front wheels,,off the ground,,while using a strobe light,,and he would somehow..and i mean magically,,balence the wheels perfectly.,,right on the spindals.!!,,,he called it true speed balencing,and my steering wheel felt as smooth as it ever has,,when i had this done,,,im not willling to drive all the way out there for that,,,so i have to be ok with the traditional way of wheel balencing,,,im sure things will feel good,,,next time im driving on the freeway,,,,Brett

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never heard of anyone balancing a tire on the vehicle, sounds kind of nice.
I grew up when a balance was done with a bubble. Now we spin them on a machine. I read some where they have a newer machine that has to be used with the super low profile wide tires that the old machine does just ok.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Brett- That has been done for years. I remember my late uncle balancing the wheels on my 61 Corvette that way in 1968 when he was a mechanic at a South Carolina Buick dealership. In the good old days, he checked all the wheels, but only charged for those that actually needed balancing. Made an impression on me on how to treat a customer.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey

Brett- That has been done for years. I remember my late uncle balancing the wheels on my 61 Corvette that way in 1968 when he was a mechanic at a South Carolina Buick dealership. In the good old days, he checked all the wheels, but only charged for those that actually needed balancing. Made an impression on me on how to treat a customer.
hey Taz...was not aware of that,,,,and your observstion on the customer service end,,,is something that i have seen deteriorate over the years...i dont wana seem picky,,but ,at least out here in CA,,with so many shops per square mile,,,you have to do your research when it comes to repair outfits,,,as well as everything else,,for that matter.,..thanks for your relply,,,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts