Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an excerpt i took from the Autocar UK website:

Ferrari will announce a more extreme version of the 575 Maranello at the Geneva Motor Show. Inspired by the Le Mans class-winning 575 GTC (pictured), the new version should offer increased power, reduced weight and an upgraded chassis.

Sister company Maserati will also be busy at Geneva, showing not only the road-going version of its Corse Competizione FIA GT car, called MC 12, of which just 25 will be built, but also a sportier version of the Coupé labelled GranSport.

I would love to see this one..!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My Ferrari regional importer who just returned from Maranello for the world dealers' meeting did not say anything about the lightweight 575. But he did say the Maserati MC 12 was gorgeous. And he did say it will be shown in Geneva but nothing on the 575.

Is there a great demand for the 575 that Ferrari is creating an off-shhot model? I don't think so. The 575 is not a 360. You can get them new, at a discount.

Sorry I don'y believe this, until I see it. :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
While I think Stradale's claim is largely irrefutable, I also cannot doubt the marketing and engineering departments at Ferrari. There have been a lot of critiqued cars in the past, such as the Enzo, that have been wildly successful. This doesn't necessarily mean the 575 will take away from the 360's market share. I think the 575 is a very marketable car and has remained under the shadow of the 360. The new 575 is probably a target at the German and English grand-tourers. The 360 is in the sort of Lamborghini category. It has a lot of flash and is drop-dead gorgeous. Therefore, each car is in a different segment and Ferrrari must feel that there is room for expansion. Needless to say, the Ferrari marketing and engineering departments are rarely wrong.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
This doesn't necessarily mean the 575 will take away from the 360's market share. I think the 575 is a very marketable car and has remained under the shadow of the 360.
That's not what I meant. The 575 and the 360 are in different market segment. The 575 is in the Murcielago braket. No the new 575 will not take away the buyers from the 360 market.

What I am saying is the tooling and R&D to build another line to the current 575 is much too expensive and as it is the customers for 575 is already very much down from that of the 550 before it. So what's the rationale? Unlike the 360 where the waiting list is up to 2 years and any new line or off-shoot will sell.

Ferrari made a mistake with their 550 Barchetta. There are 4 units of brand new, unsold Barchetta in Malaysia and Singapore and there are at least another 5 unsold units in Australia. And to think that there were only 499 units of 550 Barchetta made. It was a wrong decision by Ferrari and even a worse decision by the dealers that ordered the units thinking that they can make big profits from the limited issue.

The Enzo is a different car altogether. It's a special top-of-the-line model for Ferrari. It's purpose-built to display the technical know-how and achievement of Ferrari. Like the previous 288GTO, F40 and F50 they are milestone models. Those will sell.

Well I may be wrong, Ferrari may still make the car. But I think if they ask their dealers for feedback, their views will be negative.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Hmm. Yeah, they only made 448 550 Barchettas and it's amazing how many you can find with little to no miles on them in dealers all around as Stradale said.

The 575 just is not seeming to be an extremely popular model. I mean it's a nice looking car and everything, but I guess it's just not holding enough mass appeal with the market the car is aimed at, like how the 360 is doing in comparison.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stradale said:
Unlike the 360 where the waiting list is up to 2 years and any new line or off-shoot will sell.
It is quite strange to hear that. In which part of the world are the lists so long? Here in Switzerland the list for a 360 is only 3 months!

Anyway, the 360 is probably being replaced/upgraded towards the end of the year so I have the impression demand is down (but will certainly be up for the new version).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Two years?? Wow that's really long. I didn't know it takes that long to build a car for a customer. By the time you receive the car, the replacement will already arrive.

Stradale do you know anything regarding AP? If i bring a car back from melbourne, do i get to bring it in with lesser taxes if i'm a student? Or are they still 330 percent..(which is so absurd..) Because i'm thinking of getting the Works Cooper S, and was wondering if it is cheaper to get it here or if i'm better of buying it back home.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Check with our US friends an they'll tell you the waiting list is long. It was 2 years for the Modena and as long as 3 for the Spyder. It's probably much less now, because it's time for a model change.

My point is the demand for the 575 is so much less that there is no sense for the factory to invest in a new line of the 575 model.

Adlin, you can get a student's AP but the conditions are rigid, you can't sell the car till after 4 years, I think. Besides there is no discount for students either. In fact the students AP does not entitled the holder as much discount on duty as much as a Bumi dealer's AP. It's a complicated issue for those not in the know. It's too much of a hassle for you and you'll end up paying more.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay..that does sound complicated. Thanks for the advice, now that i know it's not easy to bring cars back home, i think i'll settle on finding one when i'm back. It's really unfortunate that the tax is really high, sigh, even a cooper costs a bomb. :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stradale said:
Check with our US friends an they'll tell you the waiting list is long. It was 2 years for the Modena and as long as 3 for the Spyder. It's probably much less now, because it's time for a model change.

My point is the demand for the 575 is so much less that there is no sense for the factory to invest in a new line of the 575 model.

Adlin, you can get a student's AP but the conditions are rigid, you can't sell the car till after 4 years, I think. Besides there is no discount for students either. In fact the students AP does not entitled the holder as much discount on duty as much as a Bumi dealer's AP. It's a complicated issue for those not in the know. It's too much of a hassle for you and you'll end up paying more.
I waited two years, seven months and twelve days. I took delivery of my 360 November 2002. It is my first Ferrari, I believe the wait is shorter for previous buyers.

Regarding: "Ferrari made a mistake with their 550 Barchetta." Anyone who has seen the car with the top up will understand why. It looks ridiculous and is a nightmare to put up. Like the original Viper--it's not a real car if the top doesn't work.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Regarding: "Ferrari made a mistake with their 550 Barchetta." Anyone who has seen the car with the top up will understand why. It looks ridiculous and is a nightmare to put up. Like the original Viper--it's not a real car if the top doesn't work.
Not only tht, it's nightmare to put it up. Takes 2 persons at least. Buyers who are in the market for that price of car are not the type to want to bother with taking off the top and putting them up again. In the end they steer clear of it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
adlinyusman said:
okay..that does sound complicated. Thanks for the advice, now that i know it's not easy to bring cars back home, i think i'll settle on finding one when i'm back. It's really unfortunate that the tax is really high, sigh, even a cooper costs a bomb. :(
Should be about RM230,000 bracket in KL I think ? Are you getting it from Cartrade. Why not order straight from BMW Malaysia. There will be problems on service if you get from grey market importers because Auto Bavaria will not touch your Mini. It's a stupid thing but that's what is happening.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay that sounds dissapointing. Oh well, then BMW Malaysia it is then. But 230 is a bit steep since i have a friend who's selling the hartge tuned Cooper S for around 220k. But if they won't touch the Mini unless i buy it from them...then i guess i'm optioned out.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Wow, that really does sound stupid. Such strict control over the service? Sheesh...that's not a cool dealer.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Ahhh...that's what it's all about. Clears it up for me now, thanks. :wink:

But looks like Ferrari did go ahead with the release of the GTC pacakage for the 575M. A so called "upgraded" Fiorano package for the car with those Brembo carbon ceramic brakes like on the Stradale and Enzo.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
OK, now I get it. It's an upgrade of their Fiorano package. But seriously, the 575 does need better brakes. Even the what used to be the Fiorano was not good enough. They only change the brake pads but not the disc and calipers. So now with the carbon brakes option, I'm sure buyers will opt for it.

I have 3 mates that have the 550 and 2 the 575. And they all are not happy with the brakes. The first change was to better Pagid high performance pads.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ferrari announced some very important development for the 575 for tha car show in Geneva (when is that) could be 2 things imo:
- a Stradale version just like the 360
- A spyder

1 - 20 of 26 Posts