Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This is my first post, and I need to come clean here; I don't own a Ferrari. I am actively looking for one though. I currently am a Jag man (two 5.3 V12 XJS's), but have always wanted a Ferrari, specifically, a 308. I was wondering if I could ask for some advice on what to look for? I dove into the Jag scene completely ignorant and got lucky finding a very good condition car the first time around. I am pretty handy with a set of wrenches and have learned how to do almost all the maintenence on my V12's. Being a middle class government worker bee, I need to keep expenses to a reasonable level. I found maintaining Jags is pretty reasonable.

First, what should I look out for? I know every car has "red flag" issues so I want to be on the lookout.

I am not looking for a concours level car, but a decent condition car that may need a little refreshing, but not a major overhaul (like the Testarossa Spyder for sale about a mile from me with plywood inserts for the headlights, chicken wire grille, and a vynil interior stapled in place, not kidding). What is a reasonable price range? I've seen cars go for as little as $15K, and up to $40K.

Are there any major maintenence issues? I am good at keeping up with regular upkeep, but if these things are known for eating clutches every 10K or so, that would be a problem.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks! Tom

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Welcome aboard

Great to see a newcomer, welcome ! There's no need to give excuses. Whether you own a Ferrari or not is irrelevant. The desire and passion, that's what counts. Why don't you start going over the Buyer's Guide under the My Ferrari Life tab. The article by William Taylor is excellent. That should answer much of your questions. As for the maintenance woes, I believe the key is to find a well maintained and loved 308 w/ known history and records. If you can do that, the problems that follow should be routine and acceptable. No unpleasant surprises. Good luck and happy search. Jimmy

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Welcome aboard Tom…..

No need to own a Ferrari or even plan to buy one, as long as you have a passion for them, join the Forum and conversations.

But like Jimmy said if your planning to buy one read the buyers guides, they are fantastic for information and if you wish to go the extra mile (I would) is get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) at a Ferrari dealer or a specialty shop that work on Ferrari’s.

The ones in the price range your looking for is like Boxer said, 308 GTB/GTS a Mondial or a little older (the 70’s) would be a 308 GT4.

I love the 308 GTB/GTS but the early Mondial’s don’t do it for me but the Mondial T is a lot sweeter to me. And the 308 GT4….I just love the look and the really old school interior…but the look of the 308 GT4 is not for everyone and people kind of shun it because it was designed by Bertone. I say who cares…its really sweet looking and guaranteed to have people say what kind of car is that…never seen one before….then you get to say “a Ferrari……”

Anyways….good luck in your search and don’t be shy to join in your conversations.

~

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Welcome, Tom.
I would think that someone who can work on those temperamental Jaguar V-12 engines can definitely do anything he wants to on a Ferrari!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts