Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please-
I've got a few cars, but no Ferrari-just an incredible itch to buy one.
I am on the fence between a Mondial coupe and a 308 1977 fly yellow-
I have 3 little kids so the Mondo is obvious for showing off back and forth to school, but the 308 is gorge!!
Any advice on maintainance costs and psychological implications-
I can't get both-right now-

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
They have both proven to be reliable cars. I would ask Pete about the 308, he has a '79 I believe, and several people here have Mondials. Good luck and I hope you get your Ferrari!:D

Chris

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Oh yea! And you should talk to Tony about the 308 also:)

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think we would need more details on the Mondial Coupe. What year and model. There are big differences between the original Mondial 8, QV, 3.2 and T. Although, as there were very few Mondial T coupes made, I'm guessing its one of the earlier models.

The Mondial and 308 are very different in terms of feel, even when compairing cars with the same drivetrain. Also, on anything thats pre 1983, you would probably want to make sure the car's original sodium valves had been replaced.

Best regards,
Dino

·
Registered
465 Posts
LOL, Chris! My "..." was because I wanted to delete an erroneous post I made! :rofl:

I tend to agree with what the others are saying. Mechanically they are very similar, and overall they share similar kinds of issues, so which one to buy comes down to which one stirs you more, which one suits your purposes, etc.

The 308 is indeed gorgeous, but there is a tactful restraint to the Mondial's design that I really admire. The excitement of a mid-engined 2-seater never wears off; however, putting the engine where it belongs makes a 2+2 a great proposition and a fascinating machine!

On that note, do also consider a Maserati Merak SS. They have comparable performance to either Ferrari, with a different blend of benefits: gorgeous styling, but tiny back seats add practicality; carbureted gurgle, yet civilized while driving; not to mention they have timing chains, and don't have the Citroen hydraulics that people complain about (but really aren't a bother). :)

If you want a Ferrari because you have to own a Ferrari, then you might as well get the 308, as too many people view the Mondial as a substitute, and would not feel secure in their purchase until they had one of the iconic (i.e. 2-seat) models. If you're over that and can actually appreciate the car for what it is, then go and see a couple of each in person, test drive if you can, and see which one suits you the best. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hey! Don't forget to consider the Dino GT4 too!!!

Cheers!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts