Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not driven my 550 for about two months. The beast is in my garage and covered with a car cover made for the Maranello. This past Saturday night I went to my brother’s with my wife. After she got into her seat, she closed the window as she always does. She asked, "Why is the window switch so sticky?” I said, “What?” After touching various non-leather things, I realize everything was sticky.

Sunday morning I looked at my car. Everything which is plastic inside the car is covered with a coating of black tar-like stuff. Water does not affect it but alcohol takes it right off.

What the hell is this stuff and where did it come from?

:(

·
Registered
224 Posts
Bart,

The honest answer is I do not know.

The first question is, was it just inside the cockpit of the car or also in the engine bay/ exterior of the vehicle. Also, is the stickyness a deposited layer on your non leather components, or is it a first layer degredation of the plastics etc itself? when wiped off did the material return back to normal.

I ask as I recently had a pool chemical (PH regulator) leak in the pool room, and every thing that was plastic seemingly dissolved. Some items completely, some items just with a sticky layer. The chemical had evaporated and even in a highly diluted form (vapour in air) it had affected everything in the area.

Do you/did you have any type of open container of solvent/chemicals in your garage. Even a glue?

2 months is a long time to allow a chemical reaction.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
That is the dreaded Ferrari plastic creep.

It's a reaction to the plastic from environmental pollutents. There are a few easy fixes for it but they do require a bit of labor.

Here's the best fix: http://www.stickynomore.com/

Robbie is the one to contact. He seems to have it resolved. The only downside is that you have to remove the parts for him to clean them.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
All I can say is congratulations you have now graduated to the Ferrari gremlins ..:grin:

It happens to most of the models use the search function and it will show remedies on how to clean and restore them to new.

Sad that this sort of thing has been happening to Ferrari for over 30yrs and still they insist on using the same plastic co for their parts.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Guys, does this happen to all Ferrari's of all ages ie: even the lastest models - F430, 599, 612 and lets go back to the 360 too?

What is the best thing one can do to prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Guys, does this happen to all Ferrari's of all ages ie: even the lastest models - F430, 599, 612 and lets go back to the 360 too?
Yes it does. Seems to happen to the older cars first.

I have not experienced on my 360, but I have seen that it does occur. Robbie hs shown samples of 360 and 550 dash air vents before and after he has cleaned.

Maybe it is a reaction to some cleaners that detailers use.

---What is the best thing one can do to prevent this from happening?
I would bet it is a combination of finger contaminents as well as those that are now in the air. I don't know that much can actually be done to prevent the problem.

It is analagous to the foam on a loudspeaker surround decaying after 15-20 years. The foam material reacts with the air and then simply degrades.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information. I guess I know what I am dong Thanksgiving day. Rats.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

:)

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
That is the dreaded Ferrari plastic creep.

It's a reaction to the plastic from environmental pollutents. There are a few easy fixes for it but they do require a bit of labor.

Here's the best fix: http://www.stickynomore.com/

Robbie is the one to contact. He seems to have it resolved. The only downside is that you have to remove the parts for him to clean them.
Highly recommended: Knows what he's doing.

rik

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Yup, sending him some 456 items then Mondial T stuff, later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts