Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing my spark plugs. I got the rubber intake manafold hose off to make and easier job of it.

I just happened to look down the pipe going to the K-Jet with a flash light. It looks like oil in the bottom, and on the top in the bend is black goo like in the top of a cave. I think they call it stiglagtites. lord know how to spell it.

There is an oil film below my air filter. The car has been burning a quart of oil every 400 miles.

Do you think I have a bad oil vent. It's the black thing by the bell housing. I think Nick makes a replacement.

I'm going to clean it out tomorrow. I bet I can get a quarter of a cup min out of their. It looks like it was blocking half the tube.

You know, come to think of it, when I cleaned the intake manafold last year it had this stuff, but not as bad. When I looked at the pistons, the back bank, they had the same stuff.

I, think I buring oil through the oil vent.
What do yawl think?

Thanks
Kelly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Magoo is right. It's all the way up the air vent, into the airbox and down throught the entire injection system.

I got it all cleaned, and the new plugs are in it started fine.

On the oil issue. The last time I changed it, I put in what I calculated to be 8.3 Quarts of oil. I think the manual calls for 10 Litres.

I ran the engine. Since the car sits for a week at a time. I let the car sit for a couple of days.

Well I measired the oil and it was at the M on MAX. Since then I have alwasy kept it there. Do you really think that if I got a half a quart of oil to much it would blow out through the air filter?

If you think I got the oil right, do I order a new crank case vent.

Thanks for all your help,
Kelly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know I guess this is really good news. I was thinking of a rebuild becasue of it burning so much oil. quart ever 400 miles.

Everyone who rides behind me says they see blue smoke out the tail pipe when I get on it.

I also have a alot of black carbon that collects on the rear of the car when cold.

I think if I can get this solve, I a will not have as many major engine problems to worry about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, adding Ait to the exhaust. does have anything to do with the crank.

Bad Boy Frank Listening to Dave agian HUH. You're moving to the black side Frank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Magoo,
Ed Gault thinks it blow by on the piston rings.

Is the crank vent a compliacated device?

I'm gong to make sure I never have more oil in it than past full.
I double checked the owner's manual 2.35 gallons.

So, that is 9 quarts and a .1 of a gallon about a third or half a quart.

With the build up in the tube, this has been going on for a long time.

I'm crossing my figures that Ed is wrong. I respect Ed. Just hope he is wrong.

If he is right, how long do you think before something bad happens?

THX
Kelly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.