Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing my spark plugs. I got the rubber intake manafold hose off to make and easier job of it.

I just happened to look down the pipe going to the K-Jet with a flash light. It looks like oil in the bottom, and on the top in the bend is black goo like in the top of a cave. I think they call it stiglagtites. lord know how to spell it.

There is an oil film below my air filter. The car has been burning a quart of oil every 400 miles.

Do you think I have a bad oil vent. It's the black thing by the bell housing. I think Nick makes a replacement.

I'm going to clean it out tomorrow. I bet I can get a quarter of a cup min out of their. It looks like it was blocking half the tube.

You know, come to think of it, when I cleaned the intake manafold last year it had this stuff, but not as bad. When I looked at the pistons, the back bank, they had the same stuff.

I, think I buring oil through the oil vent.
What do yawl think?

Thanks
Kelly

·
Registered
286 Posts
How many quarts of oil are you putting in when you do a oil and filter change? You may be overfilling the crankcase. Also check the air filter in the air box. There may be oil residue there.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Clean everything out as best as you can (the hose, air-filter box, etc...) and drive the car for the next while WITHOUT the crankcase breather attached to the air-box. Route the hose to a small plastic bottle (securely attached elsewhere in the engine bay to catch these excess vapours) and see if it dumps that much oil.

I agree with Magoo about the over-filling of oil. A proper-working breather system should really leave only a SLIGHT haze of oil on a surface nearest the hose exit. Too much oil in the case and its just sloshing out in bucket-fulls. The stock breather system works well and as it should. As far as Nick's Krank Vent, its really a gimmick that may work well on Harleys (as the volume of their cranckcases [below the pistons] changes with each revolution, necessitating a heavy-duty venting system), it has little effect on Ferrari engines.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well Magoo is right. It's all the way up the air vent, into the airbox and down throught the entire injection system.

I got it all cleaned, and the new plugs are in it started fine.

On the oil issue. The last time I changed it, I put in what I calculated to be 8.3 Quarts of oil. I think the manual calls for 10 Litres.

I ran the engine. Since the car sits for a week at a time. I let the car sit for a couple of days.

Well I measired the oil and it was at the M on MAX. Since then I have alwasy kept it there. Do you really think that if I got a half a quart of oil to much it would blow out through the air filter?

If you think I got the oil right, do I order a new crank case vent.

Thanks for all your help,
Kelly

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know I guess this is really good news. I was thinking of a rebuild becasue of it burning so much oil. quart ever 400 miles.

Everyone who rides behind me says they see blue smoke out the tail pipe when I get on it.

I also have a alot of black carbon that collects on the rear of the car when cold.

I think if I can get this solve, I a will not have as many major engine problems to worry about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Kelly, I don't know if this helps or not but Dave though he and I were leaking oil from the vapor hose due to the air pump removal.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, adding Ait to the exhaust. does have anything to do with the crank.

Bad Boy Frank Listening to Dave agian HUH. You're moving to the black side Frank.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Magoo,
Ed Gault thinks it blow by on the piston rings.

Is the crank vent a compliacated device?

I'm gong to make sure I never have more oil in it than past full.
I double checked the owner's manual 2.35 gallons.

So, that is 9 quarts and a .1 of a gallon about a third or half a quart.

With the build up in the tube, this has been going on for a long time.

I'm crossing my figures that Ed is wrong. I respect Ed. Just hope he is wrong.

If he is right, how long do you think before something bad happens?

THX
Kelly

·
Registered
286 Posts
Kelly, If it were me I would check the oil as I suggested above. That way it would be the proper amount of oil in the crankcase. Then run the car about 1000 miles and check it as you did before. Also watch for excessive smoke from the exhaust. If the same thing happens then it is time to take a wet and dry compression test to see how the rings are. But until then I wouldn't jump to any bad conclusions. I always say start with the small potential problems and work toward the big ones. Not the other way around. You could have been putting too much oil in the crankcase and forcing it into the vent tube. I would go with the 8 1/4 qts. It always works out for me when I change oil and filter. Notice I said oil and "Filter." The level after running normal operating temps and checking with in 2 minutes after shutting the engine down is just under the max level.

·
Registered
286 Posts
How long before something bad happens?

Kelly I would say if it was bad rings the only problems that you would have is fouling plugs and some oil getting into the air box from ring blowby in the crankcase. No more damage would occur in the engine internally IMO. However the problem would only get worse over time and would be a pain to keep running properly. JMO

·
Registered
575 Posts
tifosi1 said:
Is the crank vent a compliacated device? Kelly
No, its simply a metal can with tubes running in/out of it. After reading more detail here and at FC, I suspect its not the breather that's faulty, but just a means of delivering this excess oil.

Like Magoo said, the only way to rule out a bad ring situation is to do compression and leak-down tests... :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts