Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Comrades All,

Here we have a classic iconoclastic post and the question is:

Essentially, Ferrari is a brobdingnagianly powerful brand with pricing that seemingly is wholly commensurate. Accordingly, what ratio of 'Ferrari' may be attributed to 'Marketing Over Content?'

All good wishes.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have run across many owners that own a Ferrari because it is a Ferrari and not because they love the car. To them, it's another one-up to everyone in the world who doesn't have one or most precisely, can't afford one.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
If you buy a car purley for performance, then there are probably much better cars out there for a fraction of the money. I think there is also a huge difference between buying new or nearly new to buying a 10+ year old Ferrari.

Why did I buy a Ferrari? As you know I had my 328 GTS for two years, and had dreamed of owning a 3x8 for 25 years +. I bought a Ferrari for many reasons, all of them important in their own way:

Looks (3x8 is beautiful)
Racing heritage and pedigree ( a proper 2 seat sports/tourer)
Exclusivity (yes there is some snobbery, I like the finer things in life, but this is the least important, I wouldn't buy one of Ferrari's uglier creations just because it has a Ferrari badge)
The name stirs all sorts of emotions

One up manship isn't a factor for me, as most of my friends have 911's, Aston's and baby Bentley's which cost 2 or 3 times what I paid for my 328, buying a Ferrari was about keeping a promise I made to myself when I was 16 years old, and fullfilling the dream of a 9 year old boy who saw his first 308 and 365 Boxer in 1976 and never gave up dreaming that one day he would own one.

I still can't put down in words why I always wanted a Ferrari, and why I want another so much

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Archie's thoughts echo my own. When I first saw the 308 on Magnum P.I. I said I was going to have that car one day and everyone said I was dreaming and I'd never have a Ferrari. I was dreaming when I was 16 years old. I achieved the dream.

To answer Vulcan's question. I think marketing is a huge part of Ferrari's success. The Bentley is a fantastic car but how many non-Bentley owners do you see scrambling to buy up all the Bentley hats and T-shirts they can get their hands on? Same with Aston-Martin. I do happen to own a Rolls-Royce hat but that is only because the company that makes the thrusters on my ship was bought out by Rolls-Royce.

It's kind of like diamonds. The only reason diamonds are valuable is because the companies that mine them say they are valuable and they control the supply. They hype it up and people go nuts. Come on people, its a shiney rock. We have the technology to manufacture superior diamonds at a lower cost but people insist on having the "real thing". Prestige, status, marketing.

Back to Magnum P.I., I have read that the network purchased all the Ferraris used in the show. Apparently Porsche had approached the producers and offered to supply all the cars for free if they would replace the Ferrari with a Porsche for Magnum to drive. The networks said no and that the Ferrari better fit the image they wanted to portray.

I think the Ferrari is similar to a diamond. The marketing has driven its success over its content. Sure you can buy a superior rock at half the price, but what you have is still not a real diamond.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you buy a car purley for performance, then there are probably much better cars out there for a fraction of the money. I think there is also a huge difference between buying new or nearly new to buying a 10+ year old Ferrari.

Why did I buy a Ferrari? As you know I had my 328 GTS for two years, and had dreamed of owning a 3x8 for 25 years +. I bought a Ferrari for many reasons, all of them important in their own way:

Looks (3x8 is beautiful)
Racing heritage and pedigree ( a proper 2 seat sports/tourer)
Exclusivity (yes there is some snobbery, I like the finer things in life, but this is the least important, I wouldn't buy one of Ferrari's uglier creations just because it has a Ferrari badge)
The name stirs all sorts of emotions

One up manship isn't a factor for me, as most of my friends have 911's, Aston's and baby Bentley's which cost 2 or 3 times what I paid for my 328, buying a Ferrari was about keeping a promise I made to myself when I was 16 years old, and fullfilling the dream of a 9 year old boy who saw his first 308 and 365 Boxer in 1976 and never gave up dreaming that one day he would own one.

I still can't put down in words why I always wanted a Ferrari, and why I want another so much
TRUE THAT!!! im 16 and i feel the exact same way, i hope to be able to say the same paragraphs as you archie!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
TRUE THAT!!! im 16 and i feel the exact same way, i hope to be able to say the same paragraphs as you archie!
Hey, Archie did it, I did it, a lot of other people on here also did it when they thought it was beyond reach. You can do it to. If it is what you really want it will happen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dear Comrades All,

Here we have a classic iconoclastic post and the question is:

Essentially, Ferrari is a brobdingnagianly powerful brand with pricing that seemingly is wholly commensurate. Accordingly, what ratio of 'Ferrari' may be attributed to 'Marketing Over Content?'

All good wishes.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

Hi Vulcan and all,

Great question. I'll try and add a perspective from a commercial point of view (for new cars anyway)

Brand value could be regarded as the premium people will pay over a similar product from a different brand source.

Inside the Fiat empire, an example is the Maserati coupe - shares engine componentry with V8 Ferrari models, however is pitched at a different buyer at a different price point. Similarly you could choose Audi R8 or top end Porsche models. Or Aston Martin.

So the amount (as a % maybe) that can be charged over a similarly specced competitor without the various Ferrari specific elements below, make up perceived value:

• Race history
  • Enzo factor
  • Redness
  • Exclusivity
  • You watched Magnum as a 16yo
IN simple terms, these factors MADE you pay more.

The follow on question is to articulate the brand elements that force the new vehicle price up.

If you were running Ferrari, what elements of the brand would you emphasise to sustain or improve your premium pricing?

Would you continue in F1 (Yes)
Would you reduce annual production? (Maybe)
Would you focus on hard core sports models? (No - need luxury GT too)
Add luxury models?
Add a four door? (like Porsche? - No)
Add an SUV? (Never)
High tech hybrid drivetrain or turbo diesel?

The list goes on and on and other mfg'ers are looking at the same questions.

A dollar premium on the selling price equals a dollar nett profit.

fwiw

Kon

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hey, Archie did it, I did it, a lot of other people on here also did it when they thought it was beyond reach. You can do it to. If it is what you really want it will happen.
Stop talking about your sex life and others and answer his question for Gods sake

Maybe he wants to wait for the right girl don't rush him :D :D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Stop talking about your sex life and others and answer his question for Gods sake

Maybe he wants to wait for the right girl don't rush him :D :D
OMG that was funny! Thanks for that, made my night. If Archie can do it ANYONE can do it. :) But actually, now that you mention it I can't wait to do it again! Let's see, off to Singapore in 24 hours, 20 hour flight....I think a couple of days from now I'll be right as rain.

·
Registered
532 Posts
thank you, i will always try to keep that mindset,
i love this forum!! :D

Forza ferrari!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
thank you, i will always try to keep that mindset,
i love this forum!! :D
Forza ferrari!
You're quite welcome. And I must also admit that I love this forum also. You have everyone from F50 owners to 16 year old dreamers and everyone is treated the same. With respect.

I don't see any reason why you will not have a Ferrari one day. Sure it is a luxury, but it is what you want. Work hard and earn it. It will take some time but you'll get it. No problem.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I have to agree with most on here, the main reason I would like to obtain a Ferrari one day is back when I was a child. Growing up in Detroit Ferraris were not a common car seen. Corvettes were the car everyone wanted to have besides Smokey the Bandits Trans Am. I saw the Testarossa in a movie and I thought it was the coolest car in the world, but I never knew what it was. I then preceeded to see the '95 F355 on tv and absolutely fell in love. I had seen the 348, 328, and 308 in movies, on tv, and on the road, but the F355 is really what captured my heart. That is why it has been my favorite car for so many years. I think it is the most beautiful car in the world. Believe it or not the racing pedigree, and name "Ferrari" has never had an impact on me wanting one. I never thought of a Ferrari as a one up car, and I hope that I never do. If I liked one up cars I would like the Bugatti Veyron...but I think it is the most God awful car ever made...ok maybe not that much. I am definitely not a fan of it though. I am many years away from buying a Ferrari, but as Pete said, it is a luxury. I am working 60-65 hours a week in the summer and then continuing to work 20 hours a week while being a full time student. I have no doubt in my mind that one day I will have a Prancing horse in my personal garage with the license plate "HAWK":D As much as I obsess over them, I will have school paid off, a house, and most likely my own office before I even seriously consider purchasing one.

Chris

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have to agree with most on here, the main reason I would like to obtain a Ferrari one day is back when I was a child. Growing up in Detroit Ferraris were not a common car seen. Corvettes were the car everyone wanted to have besides Smokey the Bandits Trans Am. I saw the Testarossa in a movie and I thought it was the coolest car in the world, but I never knew what it was. I then preceeded to see the '95 F355 on tv and absolutely fell in love. I had seen the 348, 328, and 308 in movies, on tv, and on the road, but the F355 is really what captured my heart. That is why it has been my favorite car for so many years. I think it is the most beautiful car in the world. Believe it or not the racing pedigree, and name "Ferrari" has never had an impact on me wanting one. I never thought of a Ferrari as a one up car, and I hope that I never do. If I liked one up cars I would like the Bugatti Veyron...but I think it is the most God awful car ever made...ok maybe not that much. I am definitely not a fan of it though. I am many years away from buying a Ferrari, but as Pete said, it is a luxury. I am working 60-65 hours a week in the summer and then continuing to work 20 hours a week while being a full time student. I have no doubt in my mind that one day I will have a Prancing horse in my personal garage with the license plate "HAWK":D As much as I obsess over them, I will have school paid off, a house, and most likely my own office before I even seriously consider purchasing one.

Chris
I think im gonna cry:eek: lol j/k very good story, i think pretty much everyone on here can say the same thing.:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts