Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is an F40 raw and a F430 not? Is the Enzo a raw Ferrari?

I would certainly say the F50 is a raw Ferrari and I would probably take a F50 over an F40.

What say you?

·
Registered
70 Posts
What i gather is that a "raw" ferrari is a ferrari thats only option is the thrill of driving it, no radio no carpet no power nicknacks just you the car and the road. I would use the Term pure myself.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The F40 is a raw Ferrari. It is nothing but a driving beast, a machine to go fast in. No leather to fall into, no power windows to ease the way. Pure and simple.

The F430 is quite luxurious, I think, compared to a raw Ferrari. It has different modes (unlike the F40 which only has one mode) for driving, radio, power windows, etc.

F50 isn't as raw as the F40 as far as I remember. Enzo, why would you take an F50 over an F40? I would even take the F40 over an Enzo, most likely.

I'd call the Enzo a raw Ferrari on some occasions. However, it's got too much computer behind the scenes work. If it was just car and driver, I'd love it.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to agree with what is being said. I also find it ironic that some 360 Challenge Stradale's have the stereo put in. First you pay to strip it down, then you pay to put it all back in.

I would take the F50 over the F40 because (pay attention Bart) its a V12, normally asspirated (sp?). The turbo's on the F40 are nice, but the pure good old fashion V12 suits me. As far as interior goes the car is just as "pure" as the F40, I love the open roof (we have great weather 9 months out of the year here), and I think it looks better than the F40.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well, that's respectable. Turbos need to be done well, and I am sure though that the F40 was done very well. Afterall, Porsche did it extremely well with the 944 Turbo (951).

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Enzo,
I think the less a Ferrari/exotic caters to creature comforst, the more raw it is.
For example, I would prefer such a car to have no: radio, air conditioning, carpets, power windows (passenger side OK), central door locks, power seats, spare tire; and just enough sound insulation.
I would prefer it to have no roll cage (I think only track and race cars should have them) unless hidden in the frame and chassis.
I would prefer the exhaust system designed in such a way that you can easily swap out cat converters for race pipes.
I would prefer the engine to be tuned for optimal performance over fuel economy.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
IMHO, a "raw" Ferrari is one in which you, the driver, are providing driving instructions directly to the engine, gearbox, and tires. No computer to negotiate with and get in the way. Under this definition any Ferrari fitted with ABS, traction control, etc is "cooked". Net net, the F40 is the last of the great raw Ferraris, the F50 is medium rare, and the F430 is well done. Power steering also disqualifies a car from being raw. Another way of looking at it is if you make a mistake as the driver, you are on your own.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Boxer said:
IMHO, a "raw" Ferrari is one in which you, the driver, are providing driving instructions directly to the engine, gearbox, and tires. No computer to negotiate with and get in the way. Under this definition any Ferrari fitted with ABS, traction control, etc is "cooked". Net net, the F40 is the last of the great raw Ferraris, the F50 is medium rare, and the F430 is well done. Power steering also disqualifies a car from being raw. Another way of looking at it is if you make a mistake as the driver, you are on your own.
Spot on, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Raw, wild, pure

Try driving a Daytona, BB(cabs only, no injections), etc. ...then you'll understand the meaning of these terms. Modern cars, including Ferraris, have fallen into the race of bigger, faster, more power, spiral race. Sure they're faster, more powerful, more driver friendly but they do not add up to simple fun to drive. Probably, the 288GTO and F40 are the last of Ferraris. Jimmy

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boxer,

I am curious, what makes the F40 more raw than the F50? Actually that is poorly stated. Why is the F50 not considered a raw/pure Ferrari?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
F50

I have no doubt that F50 is a fantastic machine and "fun to drive". However, in all honesty I do not know because I have never driven one. Only seen them parked streetside here in Japan. My biased opinion is based on my extremely knowledgable friend who states that F50 has a serious "flaw" in suspension system. According to him, F50 is a true F1 machine and they made the suspension as such. This means that it does not suit normal street driving. Simply put, great car for wrong occasion and use. Jimmy

·
Registered
33 Posts
RAW = Realistic in the depiction of the facts or situation

~
Boxer said:
a "raw" Ferrari is one in which you, the driver, are providing driving instructions directly to the engine, gearbox, and tires.
~

I also agree somewhat with Boxer... and under the term RAW states;
Uncooked, in its natural state, not yet processed or purified, not analyzed, evaluated, or processed for use and therefore could lack experience, skill or polish: bleak, cold and damp : strong and undisguised : frank and realistic in the depiction of the facts or situations : uncompromising • realistic, unembellished, unvarnished, brutal, harsh, gritty, graphic, informal, coarse or crude in it's relation to matters.

To me; A pure-bread auto in race-ready form would qualify as raw. An Auto that is the next "Starting Point" in proving it's worthiness to be the best in it's field, at that point in time, against others trying to do the same.
When we start adding luxuries we are getting into refined.

~

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Boxer said:
and if fuel injection is considered to add a bit of cooking then you would have to go back to:

8 cylinder: 308 GTB/GTS
12 cylinder: 512 BB
Unequivocally!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think a raw Ferrari is one with a powerfull engine, 5 wheels (4 to drive and 1 to steer) and as little nicknacks around that as possible

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer said everything

Enzo250GTO, I think the F50 looks too big, while the F40 looks too perfect

and since a convertible is more flexible to chassis torsion, I would preffer to have the F40 again

and there is no V12 better than the F40´s biturbo V8

2 turbos > 4 extra cylinders

=D yes, I´m an F40 fan

·
Registered
293 Posts
Boxer said:
...the F40 is the last of the great raw Ferraris, the F50 is medium rare, and the F430 is well done. Power steering also disqualifies a car from being raw. Another way of looking at it is if you make a mistake as the driver, you are on your own.

Amen. NO DRIVER AIDS!!! That is RAW, and i also include NO REV LIMITER to the fray. if you want to rev to over 9k rpm, go right ahead...

<hugs his raw, race prepped Euro spec 308GTS QV>

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have had the fortune to have been taken around Kyalami race circuit in both an F40 and F50.

When the F50 was launched, I felt that it looked a lot less raw than an F40 - it had leather seats etc. Compared to that, the F40 had absolutely nothing and was basically a racing car.

When I went in the F50, the refinedness from the outside was immediately removed. The cabin was hot and raucous! It immediately removed my perception that Ferrari had gone soft as opposed to the F40.

I am all for raw cars. There is something magical about a cabin that has a frenzy to it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts