Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always loved Ferraris. I collect and restore classic cars. I have a Porsche 356, Austin Healey, and a few American Classics I won't mention to avoid offending some of the purists.

I keep looking at the 308s, Dino GT4, and Mondial Cabs because of their attractive $30K price for a well maintained model. But I have a few questions for the owners out there.

Mechanically- which of the three would you consider superior in design?

Also. I've heard the horror stories of "drop $10K in Maintenance for every 15K you drive". And I've heard there are special tools required costing thousands of dollars if you want to work on them yourself.

I am a wrench turner....I love working on cars. I can't think of why any car that isn't a true race car (no...none of these are true race cars) would require that level of maintenance. I've never really gone under the hood...or even driven...a Ferrari at this point and I am looking for advice.

Is it cost of parts? Is the quality poor on certain components which cause them to fail? Or is it basic routine maintenance you would perform on any performace car....only at $200 per hour?

Educate me guys...and gals...what are your experiences?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
10-20% of that might be a closer figure on the annual maintenance costs which you can cut again by 50% if you can do most of the work yourself. Parts are more expensive but not 10x the cost and quality is generally very good. Buy a well maintained car, treat it well, drive it regulary, and a Ferrari is a strong reliable car.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I've had my 308 for almost 4 years, it wasn't perfect when I bought it, heck, it is still not perfect. Other people tell me it's perfect but I guess when you are a car nut it never will be.

Anyway, I'm a wrench turner also and have done all the work myself. The only thing I had done by someone else was balance the tires, 4-wheel alignment and set up the carbs (after I had put an electronic ignition on it). He charged me $300 for the work, It cost me $500 to change the ignition from points to electronic. Cost of other parts - Speedometer sending unit $130, Oil pressure sending unit $30. Oil filter $9 and it takes 9 quarts of oil. All said, I've got probably around $2k in maintainence and repair over 4 years. That's far less than my daily driver. (Of course the Ferrari doesn't get the same miles.)

This coming winter, I'm planning on doing a major service, cam belts water pump, adjust the valves, etc. I figure doing it myself it will cost about $1,000 for parts. It might be less, I always figure on the high side.

Haven't decided yet whether I'll haul the engine out or attempt to do it "In-Situ".

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
saltydingo said:
I keep looking at the 308s, Dino GT4, and Mondial Cabs because of their attractive $30K price for a well maintained model. But I have a few questions for the owners out there.

Mechanically- which of the three would you consider superior in design?
Welcome to FL.

Well I can say that all three are of the age where computers were not all over the place in the car so working on them is easy. If you maintain it well all three will treat you well. The 308 and Mondial (early Mondial) are the same engine.

Also. I've heard the horror stories of "drop $10K in Maintenance for every 15K you drive". And I've heard there are special tools required costing thousands of dollars if you want to work on them yourself.
For the new models with ODB II and the computers yes, this is true.

Is it cost of parts? Is the quality poor on certain components which cause them to fail? Or is it basic routine maintenance you would perform on any performace car....only at $200 per hour?
Yes parts are more because there are fewer. The parts themselves are not bad parts.

I hope this helps. I think the Buyer's Guides would also help clear up a number of your questions.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
saltydingo said:
These are three very different Ferraris with major differences even within each of the model ranges. An early fiberglass, carb 308 GTB is a very different car from a late 308QV GTS. Suggest you take a look at the Buyers Guides for each and other information in the Members section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts