Ferrari Life Forum banner

What is the longest drive in your Ferrari?

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  JazzyO 
#1 ·
Ciao boys(and girls) just curious to see how many owners have taken there car on a good long trip? From where to where? Interesting sites along the way? How did your f car perform? Any problems? Peoples reactions,
any racers, jerks etc... would you do it again?

I thought this would be a fun thread to read before we all start making our plans for road trips.

#2 ·
Last september we went on a 4.000km trip. From Amsterdam to Bolzano(Italian Dolomites) and back together with an 355 GTS and 964 RS.
Obvouisly it was absoluty great. Driving a Ferrari in Italy means speed limits do not really apply, no problems parking and meeting a lot of enthousiastic people. And the dolomites offers really great roads, perfect to enjoy the cars to it's limits (or in my cae: my limits in driving).

The car had a few minor problems: the speedo sensor was broken so I didn't know my speed (a perfect excuse of course:D ) and the clutch pedal sunk a few times almost to the bottom after a few fast stints up and down the mountains...that was not funny:( After a some cooling down...I learned you can drive up the mountain in 5th gear (now that's a smooth engine!)...the problem disappeared.

Can't wait till the winter is over and go back there..

#3 ·
I drove from Des Moines IA to Indianapolis IN for the US GP last year which is about 475mi each way in my Testarossa. It was a blast.

#4 ·
So far probably only have driven about 160mi round trip in the Dino at one time. Lots of shorter rips though. Planning on doing a couple longer trips this summer though! And she purrred like a kitten the whole time!

Cheers!

#5 ·
I shouldn't really admit this. I've had the car for 2 years and only covered 2000 miles:eek: Longest round trip is probably 150 miles going to the FOC concours last Sept. Most journeys are a 15 - 20 mile run on the weekend in the spring, summer and autumn (fall).
I have decided that it needs driving more regularly this year. Service is booked for 4 weeks time, and after that it won't be left looking pretty in my garage.

#9 ·
I drove my 308 a touch over 1000 miles in one day last summer on my way from Minnesota to Idaho. Kinda like being in heaven for a day--top off, blue skies, nice roads (although a little too straight), pleasant traffic-free scenery, and always that wonderful snarl of the motor. The car didn't miss a beat, and got 22mpg when I drove it sanely. My only regret was that I couldn't really take it up to speed--the tires aren't rated for that sort of thing, which is a choice I intentionally made to keep me honest--and alive.

#11 ·
The car didn't miss a beat, and got 22mpg when I drove it sanely.
That's pretty decent mileage for having four 2bbls. I average around 16mpg in mine (around town and back country roads).

My only regret was that I couldn't really take it up to speed--the tires aren't rated for that sort of thing, which is a choice I intentionally made to keep me honest--and alive.
That affects your fuel mileage also. I did one run at over 130 mph for a good stretch and got 7 mpg. (I don't normally drive fast, just did it that once so I could say I've done it.)

#14 ·
Archie, at the very least you need to drive it to the Goodwood FoS 2008!!

My drives in 1 day so far: Amsterdam - Chichester (Goodwood), around 450 miles. Did that twice last year, so 4 trips in total. Then Amsterdam - Geneva, around 700 miles. Best blast was Innsbruck - Amsterdam, around 630 miles in just over 6 hours including two petrol stops.

It's been a good year! The 550 never missed a beat, in fact the longer the trip the more she seemed to be singing her lungs out...

Onno

#16 ·
Don't have the 550 yet, but the maiden voyage will be 350 miles from Atlanta to to Amelia Island. Exotic cars were meant to be driven and enjoyed.. We picked up the Bentley in Florida and drove back to PA just under 1k miles in 1 day. Dad and I switched off driving the whole time. Looking forward to getting the "F Car" and the 6 hour maiden voyage (or will that be 3 hour??). If only the US had proper speed limits... I've long held that we need some sort of graduated license system.

#19 ·
My longest trip was the one around Italy in April 2002. Starting in my 456 GT in Switzerland with my wife and my oldest daughter (at that time 3years old) and with about 15 playing dolls for her on the 2nd backseat to Rome, Naples, Reggio di Calabria at the very bottom of the "shoe" back over Matera, Bari, Ancona, Verona back to Switzerland. All in all 5'000km in 2 weeks. Great car to drive and very, very comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.