Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a presently a Alfa Romeo owner and I love Italian cars. What is a good model to start with. I am very good mechanic and perform all of my own service and repairs on everything I own.

·
Registered
465 Posts
You can't beat a 2-valve injected 308 from a maintenance perspective!

If you have more money and want more speed, it's hard to fault a 328.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I would agree the 308 has been known for the reliability and they would be easier to work on then a 348 or a F355.

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have been told that Mondials and 348s need the engine out to do a major, but I do not know this from experience. On 308GT4s there is room to do it all with the engine in the car.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I have been told that Mondials and 348s need the engine out to do a major, but I do not know this from experience. On 308GT4s there is room to do it all with the engine in the car.
Yea the 348 and the F355 need the engine out for major service.

Chris

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I am a presently a Alfa Romeo owner and I love Italian cars. What is a good model to start with. I am very good mechanic and perform all of my own service and repairs on everything I own.
The early carb (75-79) 308 GTB/GTS are great 1st Ferraris. They have a bit more power than the 308i and sound wonderful. Other alternative for a bit less money would be a 308 GT4.

·
Registered
61 Posts
!st Ferrari

Mondials are a great 1st choice, can usually find them in the teens.
Most fuse blocks have been bypassed where needed.
Yes the Mondial8 is slower than the 308(because of the extra weight), but it is still fun and it is a 2+2.

Charles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I very much like the idea of a carburated car. I have always been very good with them. Are there any issues with the 308s? I will also take a look at the Mondials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some very nice side drafts on the young ladies.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
If your budget allows, I would recommend a 328 over a 308, on the basis that they are widely regarded as the most reliable Ferrari ever, and if you are a DIY mechanic you can carry out a lot of the work yourself. There are plenty of low mileage good examples around, but make sure you get a PPI done by a reputable professional.
I had my 328 for 2 years, it was a joy to own and I had no trouble with it at all. If you can go for a late 88/89/90 model as they should come with ABS and better suspension.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Any Mondial or 308/328 variants. And, no, the Mondials don't need engine-out for belt service. Happy searching.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
My first Ferrari was a '95 F355 GTS. I've owned it for 22 months and never had any real issues with the car. I was deciding between a 348 and F355, I've never regret it that I chose to buy the F355 as my 1st F. Great car, quite fast but not silly fast if you know what I mean. It just had the right amount of HP for me as a 1st italian sportscar.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I guess I'm a little confused. Your title asks for "a good Ferrari to start with". What are your intentions? Do you intend on buying an entry level priced car and "graduating" the next higher priced in the hopes of someday attaining the most expensive? Are you wanting to experience a Ferrari at the entry level to decide if the Marque is right for you?

My point is, the car thats right for you depends entirely on what your expectations are. Your end use should be consulted. Tracking a car, cruising, concours showing, investment potential, tinkering toy, or chick magnet. Ferrari models available today have dramatically differant purposes. The Go Kart feel of a 3XX or the long haul touring designs like the 456 and 5XX are fantastic places to start and all come with differant admission prices

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
My first Ferrari was a '95 F355 GTS. I've owned it for 22 months and never had any real issues with the car. I was deciding between a 348 and F355, I've never regret it that I chose to buy the F355 as my 1st F. Great car, quite fast but not silly fast if you know what I mean. It just had the right amount of HP for me as a 1st italian sportscar.
Small world. My first Ferrari was also a 1995 F355 GTS. It was a early 2.7 Bosch FI, twin airbox, no airbag model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like a true classic sports car. A concours car isnt what I want nor am I trying to climb the Ferrari ladder. No chick magnet I am pretty happy with one I have. I think the 308 carb version would be my best choice. It would fit my budget and I would enjoy working on it.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Sounds right...timeless lines and the easiest to tinker with. Include a 328 for very similar lines and tinkering fun. Also consider newer bretheren such as 348/355. Similar lines, more sophistcated, closer to depreciation bottom but also more costly, more difficult to tinker (ECU's, Cats, etc...).

Now that you have decided that, pick your level of immersion (price).

1) needs restoration
2) needs work
3) needs some work
4) body perfect, mechanicals need some work (and the inverse)
5) needs standard maintenance but otherwise good
6) good car needs odds and ends
7) great car needs nothing now

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think I saw your 355 at Munsterhuis yesterday, it was outside, parked in the pooring rain:(

As a first Ferrari I would choose a 308 or 328, I think it's great value for money.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts