Ferrari Life Forum banner

Would you do something like this? (Names aren't shown with answers)

• Yes, I would have done this.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, I would've brought food for him.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • No, I would've given him a little money

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, I would've driven past.

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I am curious what people think about this situation. I have heard from many friends different answers about what I did.

I started school last week so I drive down to Detroit everyday to go to class. I was going home after class this past Friday and I was stopped at a light on a major road and a homeless man was sitting on the side of the road near the light with a sign saying, "Hungry, please help". I proceeded to roll my window down and give the guy a dollar. He was very thankful with this. I then proceeded to drive home. I however about 100 feet from my house turned around and drove back. I live about 22~24 miles away from where this guy was. I pulled up to the light, rolled my window down and asked him if he would like to go to McDonalds, and he replied immediately with a yes, God Bless you. I let him in my car and drove a mile down the road to a McDonalds. (Keep in mind this is a not so good part of town...as in being a white college student and not being in a car is not the best) Long story short I offered him any meal on the menu and he was extraordinarily grateful (More to this but I don't want to type too much right now). I saw him going through his money while we waited for the food. He had about $1.75. He told me he was out there over 3 hours that day so far....I gave him the $1. He had $0.75 in nickels and pennies for 3 hours. I talked to him for over a half hour about his life, my life, and life in general. He said he hadn't eaten in over 24 hours. I then drove him to the abandoned house he stays in. (More...will write later if wanted.)

This was probably one of the best experiences that I have had. It was one of those major reality checks on the world outside of which I live.

Wow, you gave him a dollar. What a mensch...

Ray

21 - 22 of 22 Posts