Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
For example, just how much room is there for negotiating on a 328 or any model that you may? I understand that condition and mileage, etc are factor. Sincerely, I'd like to know what was the asking price versus what you and the seller finally decided on.
Ya know, I feel like I'm comping real estate with respect to passed sales for a particular area. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
220 Posts
hmmm, kind of a tough question.
First, do some research on model specific car to try and establish "fair" value. Ideally you want info on recent sales of model. I believe Ferrari Market Letter is a good resource. Next , if it's a dealer's car , i would assume there's 5 % haggle room on sticker depending on whether you're cash buyer or PXing something.A private sale's a bit harder as you never know how desperate seller is ! Common sense should prevail. If the guy's offering model at cheapest the range has traded in a while, he's prob not going to move much on price.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I agree with tonyh's advice. Find out the price that recent sales have gone through at, check recent auction results, and get a PPI done. The PPI will give you a list of items that need attention and you can use this to further negotiate the price southwards.

While the Ferrari Market Letter Price index is a great resource, it is based on asking prices so some discounting is needed.

Your other option is to contact a few brokers, given them an idea of what you are looking for, and ask them what you should expect to pay.

One additional resource is:
http://www.classicandsportscar.com/price_guide_home.asp

·
Registered
43 Posts
Complicated question.

First, you have to know what certain items are worth. For example, how much more should you pay for an 88.5 car compared to an 88. Is there a premium between '89 and '88.5 for you? For most people, no, but there are some individuals that HAVE to have an '89. Few and far between, though. How much is it you have red instead of blue? Black instead of red? Black interior over tan?

Once you get all of those figured out, you can start looking at the prices and seeing the trends. Then, once you find the cars that you're into it, you can start negotiating.

IMHO, probably the best thing that you can do is make friends with a Ferrari "expert" and call him or her with specific cars and find out what's a good price and how much to discount.

And let's not even talk about the PPI and how to discount things that come up there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I get understand. I do have certain requirements about the Ferrari. Being 89 has ABS, I thought this would be a good advantage later as resale and most importantly, what the ABS provides when under heavy braking.
If ABS really doesnt matter as far as re-sale than any year would do. Most imprtantly the service history checking out and the PPI checking out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Easyrider7467 said:
OK, I get understand. I do have certain requirements about the Ferrari. Being 89 has ABS, I thought this would be a good advantage later as resale and most importantly, what the ABS provides when under heavy braking.
If ABS really doesnt matter as far as re-sale than any year would do. Most imprtantly the service history checking out and the PPI checking out.
Well, a couple of things about this. First the ABS on the '89 328s is a pretty primitive system and many people don't want it. The 1988.5 has all the updates without the ABS system, although with the exception of a steering wheel change, a minor airbox mounting change (which many think is a step back), and a minor carpeting change in the front storage. Many people specifically want an '88.5 model. Some people want an '88.5 or '89.

Basically, to say that other than '89 they're all the same is kind of far off. Really, if you boil it down to the most basic ideas, there is one kind of 328 built from 1985 to the middle of 1988, then one kind built from 1988.5 until 1989 (which has all of the cumulative changes plus a huge suspension change), then an '89 that has everything the '88.5 has plus ABS, a steering wheel change, a minor airbox mounting change, and the carpeting change in the front. Of the three, the most similar are the 88.5 and '89 models and they are far ahead of the other years. If you look at prices, an 88.5 or '89 car goes for over $10k more (sometimes $20k) than a similar 1987 car, for example. The educated part of the market knows what's what.

Now that is oversimplifying things as there were literally a hundred running changes to the 328 during its run. As I said, the best thing sometimes is to just find an expert who can give you advise on a car by car basis, in addition to educating yourself.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, so far they have been very helpful. I want to learn and so far I have, what changes were made to the 328 over the course of its production. I guess that can be my next post. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts