Ferrari Life Forum banner

Which is your favorite Testarossa and why?

• Ferrari Testarossa

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • 512 TR

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • F512M

Votes: 3 10.7%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the F512M? Has anyone seen it in the "Metal"?

I cannot explain why I like it. I think it is the way the styling is so outrageous and extroverted. Whilst I LOVE the way it looks from the back and sides I am not really a huge fan of the nose (the headlights). I prefer the retractable/pop-up headlights of the previous Testarossa.

Which is your favorite Testarossa and why?:drive:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I love the 512 TR because it’s the most recent version of the original Testarossa. There is something dark and mysterious about the TR rear grid over the lights that just give it that bad ass look…

I do not like the lights front or rear of the M. Because the Testarossa is such an icon, having the rear lights rounded to me seems like an add on and not Factory. Personally, I think the front lights are just plain horrible and looks like a bad kit car. I just can’t seem to get used to both…That is my only complaint on the model.

Now, I dont like the rims, I find them butt ugly with the swirls and the bolts all around rob too much of the space for the 5 star and it makes the rim look small. But, rims will never be an issue to not buy a specific Ferrari model because that can be changed easily.

~

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whilst I like the rims I can see why you don't. Re the 512 TR. I agree that the rear grid over the lights gives it a bad ass look. I think it is the better looking car. I want one in black.:cool:

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
While I do think the 512 TR is a better car, just on aesthetics my preference normally (exception 330 GT 2+2) tends to be for the first version of any models. In this case the early Testarossas. Later versions always seem to loose the design purity of the 1st. My 2.75 cents.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boxter - I agree.

Forgot to add whilst I think the 512TR is the better looking car than the 512M, the 512M is my favorite. But that's a decision made with the heart not the brain.;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
When I first saw the Testarossa I thought that it was the most stunning car on Earth. A real rolling work of art. I had a poster of one on my wall in college. The air intakes on the side of the car just blew me away. I had never seen anything like that. It is still one of my favorite Ferraris.

Jim

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
TR

Had to go with the testarossa.
512M didn't stand a chance with those lights.
512TR doesn't quite have the rawness of the original.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I would say my favorite is the first Euro model (sorry I don't know about specific denomination) for the one and only, unique driver side mirror. It is so weird and deranging that I had to love it at first sight. I felt that my heart was broken when they changed the design. My first and only desapointment with the Scuderia!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I liked the single, raised wing mirror version, too.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My Redhead thoughts-

When I was in High School we went to the dealer to see them sell the first Testarossa they got to a guy the brought suit case of cash from San Francisco. My buddy and I held the doors open to the dealership and snortered the exhaust as the new owner started it for the first time!
Wow, what a memory it was the Winter of 85 in Sacramento. We followed them back to the city and spoke to them, they hit 155 mph on the madien voyage!

My opinion:

Testarossa: raw, inmature and fast
:) 512TR: more mature, better car, not as fun to party with
F512M: the uglyst Ferrari

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Ditto

While I do think the 512 TR is a better car, just on aesthetics my preference normally (exception 330 GT 2+2) tends to be for the first version of any models. In this case the early Testarossas. Later versions always seem to loose the design purity of the 1st. My 2.75 cents.
Agree Jimmy

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I have to agree with the 2 previous posts, the mid 80's testarossa may not have been the most refined in the series, but it was the baddest and rawest and most in your face. It also came out at a time when money was everything and all the yuppies wanted one. I was just leaving school in 1984 so could only ever dream of owning one, but it was everything a schoolboy ever wanted, except perhaps to be asked out by a supermodel or one of the Bangles or Madonna.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Although the 512TR and 512M are refinements mechanically and ergonomically over the Testarossa, I prefer my T'Rossa. It is raw and raunchy, whereas the TR and M became progressively more rounded and feminine in esthetics.
I wouldn't mind an M someday due to its relative rarity (@500).:)

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
The M all the way!

I was watching the market last year - the M seemed to get a 40K premium in the US.

Better performing higher compression titanium rods stiffer suspension and the addition of 40 bhp and losing 150 lb.s

·
Registered
398 Posts
I love the M - and while I hate talking about Ferraris from an investment perspective, the M is a great investment. They only made 500, and only 75 came to the US. Six to midnight!

Which is your favorite Testarossa and why?:drive:
My favorite Testarossa is 77762, because I have many fond memories of driving it (it had a Tubi). The Testarossa, with a Tubi, is like an all-in-one instrument. Laborious to drive in comparison to Ferrari's contemporary iterations, it is a sublimely rewarding experience. I highly recommend it.

·
Premium Member
11,886 Posts
Doug- The 512M is way closer to the 512 TR than the 512 TR is to the TR and the F512M had only a small performance gain over the 512 TR. Not so from the TR to the 512 TR, where there were large performance gains.

I never particularly liked the styling of the F512M, since it mixed too many styling metaphors for me. It is relatively rare, though, at 500 units compared to 2280 512 TRs and, at 7177 TRs, by far the most of any production Ferrari 12 cylinder.

Ferrari claims 428 hp and 3516 lbs for the 512 TR and 440 hp and 3593 lbs for the F512M, so you can see why the performance gain was minimal. Source: 512 TR and F512M owners manuals.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Doug- The 512M is way closer to the 512 TR than the 512 TR is to the TR and the F512M had only a small performance gain over the 512 TR. Not so from the TR to the 512 TR, where there were large performance gains.

I never particularly liked the styling of the F512M, since it mixed too many styling metaphors for me. It is relatively rare, though, at 500 units compared to 2280 512 TRs and, at 7177 TRs, by far the most of any production Ferrari 12 cylinder.

Ferrari claims 428 hp and 3516 lbs for the 512 TR and 440 hp and 3593 lbs for the F512M, so you can see why the performance gain was minimal. Source: 512 TR and F512M owners manuals.
You are correct - the last of the BB engine with some titanium bits and higher compression are still more than enough for me.

It does mix a little bit of this and that - but for some reason the car just makes me smile.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts