Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a 550. Any thoughts on current market price range? I'll probably opt for an earlier model that was well looked after, as I'd prefer to get one that is as far down the depreciation curve as possible.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,320 Posts
Felonius said:
I'm in the market for a 550. Any thoughts on current market price range? I'll probably opt for an earlier model that was well looked after, as I'd prefer to get one that is as far down the depreciation curve as possible.
The 550 probably still has a little room for depreciation. You are certainly buying at a good time. You should be able to get something in the low $110k - $120k range.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Andrew, thanks for your post. I drove a 1998, one owner, super clean car at the dealer in La Jolla, CA this weekend. The car had 4800 miles, belt service in January, Tubi exhaust, and was the darker silver (titanium?) color with burgundy interior. I'm not sure of all the options available on the 550, but this one did not have any noticeable extras. The ask was $119,000.

The car I really want is up at the former Ferrari dealer in Silicon Valley. It's a 2001 in Pozzi blue with tan/blue Daytona seats, and what seems to be every option available (full set of luggage, quilted leather luggage area, high end stereo, 575 modular wheels and brakes, etc.). This car has 21,000 miles and they're asking $149,000! I don't really care about all the options, but Pozzi blue/tan is just a drop dead combination for me. I doubt there are many cars out there in this color. Still, I have a hard time reconciling a $30,000 difference for what is basically the exact same car with different options.

For some reason, I just couldn't get that excited about the Titanium/burgundy combo. I prefer the lighter silver (Nurburgring?), red, or my favorite Pozzi blue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Andrew said:
The 550 probably still has a little room for depreciation. You are certainly buying at a good time. You should be able to get something in the low $110k - $120k range.
Agreed, they can be found here and there for under $110k depending on condition/mileage. Prices are going down on them.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
Agreed, they can be found here and there for under $110k depending on condition/mileage. Prices are going down on them.
FML currently has an ask of $122k for the 550, down 9% in the last 2 years. My guess is that they will continue to depreciate toward the $100k mark and then hold. Rate of depreciation has slowed over the last several years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Boxer said:
FML currently has an ask of $122k for the 550, down 9% in the last 2 years. My guess is that they will continue to depreciate toward the $100k mark and then hold. Rate of depreciation has slowed over the last several years.

Here is a guy asking $108k, offer 100k if you so desire.
http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=1603&sort=1&cat=12&page=1

$120k seems really high BUYING price. Asking, well... it is the actual bargained price i am referring to.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
enjoythemusic said:
Here is a guy asking $108k, offer 100k if you so desire.
http://www.ferrarichat.com/ferrariads/showproduct.php?product=1603&sort=1&cat=12&page=1

$120k seems really high BUYING price. Asking, well... it is the actual bargained price i am referring to.
Here is one that Mike Sheehan has just put on the market:

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-550M-125571

Finished in a very attractive yet subtle silver Argento Nurburgring 101/C with Bordeaux leather power Daytona seats, black dash and black carpets. This Euro model 550 was sold new to a Dentist with the U.S. Army in Europe and comes with a no-questions, fully documented ownership and service history. Ordered in early 2001, built in late 2001 and first delivered in March 2002 with 90 kms (56 miles), 125571 is a one-owner car, with only 11,310 kms (7,028 miles). The meticulous owner had a full 30k cam belt service and four new Pirelli P-0 tires installed at 10,500 kms (6,501 miles). The updates and service work were completed at the local authorized Ferrari dealership. Needless to say, this 550 comes with the owner's leather pouch, all books, warranty card, tools, the leather tool case and all original keys. Fitted with red calipers and complete with a Factory car cover with bag.
Priced right at 79,000 Euros ($99,500 USD) or best offer.​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boxer and Enjoythemusic, thanks for the leads on the cars.

Not interested in a black car. Owned one and swore never to do so again given how impossible they are to maintain cosmetically.

The one in Europe is beautiful, but I'd guess customs and US certification could easily run $20K or more. All for a car that then would be a more difficult resale in the US given it's background. Any thoughts/comments about this from experienced board members would be appreciated.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Felonius said:
The one in Europe is beautiful, but I'd guess customs and US certification could easily run $20K or more. All for a car that then would be a more difficult resale in the US given it's background. Any thoughts/comments about this from experienced board members would be appreciated.
I would give Mike Sheehan a call or email on the difficulties of US certification. I believe it is fairly straight forward on the 550. Resale value will likely be 5-10% less than a original US car today. Longer term it will not make a difference.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top