Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a 500 - 600 mile trip in my 550 in least than 24 hours. I drove it up the I-5 from Orange County to SR 46 in the Great Valley of California. Dropping down the grapevine at 9:00 p,m, I thought I was having a heating problem. I am a new owner. THe button for the outside temperature was pusted and it read 85 degrees at that time. WOW, That is hot for the evening fromn where I am from.

I turn left off of I-5. SR 46 is about 60 dark straight two lane miles to Paso Robles near the coast. What fun. I have never done this before. No towns, crossroads, or sshops for a long period of time. Just the darkest of the countryside. Boy, am I happy my 550 has such great headlights. They are had to over drive.

In the morning, I drove south on Highway 101 & PCH. What a car this 550 is. Heavy trafficc, no problem. Cruising along the coast wacthing the surf is great.

FERRARI Forever.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Bart,
Awesome!!! Great ride!!!
I don't really like to drive the 308 at night due to the inferior headlights and dashlights. Those are on my list of items to upgrade. I would love to take some good night time rides up through the White Mountains in New Hampshire with the top off. That also is on the list of things to do.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not really driven much in the dark. With the headlights my car has, I was able to drive this beast and still see and reacted in time to stop before hitting anything. Wow! Even the low beams allowed me to drive safely at 80 mph. The high beams were would have allowed me to drive as fast as my beast would go. Too fast for me!

What a fantastic auto. I feel sorry for the owner who are collectors. They are missing the boat.

I feel sorry for the flippers. They just keep the price up for the resalers.

Drivers of Ferraris enjoy them.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pete,

I agree with your feelings about the headlights. I was able to locate a pair of 1970s E-code Carello H4s and replaced the original sealed beam units. I stayed with 55/60W H4 bulbs so as not to overload the wiring. Now I can see at night.

Barry

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Bart said:
I have not really driven much in the dark. With the headlights my car has, I was able to drive this beast and still see and reacted in time to stop before hitting anything. Wow! Even the low beams allowed me to drive safely at 80 mph. The high beams were would have allowed me to drive as fast as my beast would go. Too fast for me!

What a fantastic auto. I feel sorry for the owner who are collectors. They are missing the boat.

I feel sorry for the flippers. They just keep the price up for the resalers.

Drivers of Ferraris enjoy them.
Nice story Bart I agree with you 100% and I'm sure most everyone on here does too. Why let this thing sit in the garage? Sure looking at it is nice but driving it is what its all about. The others just don't know what they are missing, oh well at least you don't.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Sure looking at it is nice but driving it is what its all about.

And when you're driving it other people get to look at it :ex: :D

·
Registered
575 Posts
I agree Barry about those lights. With my twin headlight system, I have H4 driving lights (55/60W) and H1 hi-lights (60W) from Bosch, and the H4's definitely light a nice wide, bright path. The H1's are unfortunately too strong and I blow the fuses within minutes... I gotta by-pass the fuse box and install heavy-duty inline fuses. When they are on, they are absolutely blinding.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Peter and Pete,

The 55/60W H4 bulbs in my E-codes do the job well. The high beams really give you plenty of light with a nice pattern. Low beams have a sharp cut-off so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic.

It took a while to locate 1970s Carellos. I wanted to maintain originality of my car and the Carellos are what were originally installed in the 308s. The owner's manual even shows a drawing indicating the same lens pattern. Current Carello, Hella or Cibie E-code H4s will fit. And as I said, the standard 55/60W bulbs they come with are more than adequate and will not overload the original wiring.

Barry

ps.. my 1976 GTB has slightly different headlamp assemblies which were modified not too long after to allow for easier installation/replacement of the headlamps. I made sure to put new H4 bulbs in before installation.

·
Registered
38 Posts
550 mechanic rocks :D !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts