Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Andrew has kindly provided this workspace for our Maranello Tech Tips Team (or whatever we decide to call ourselves) to collaborate online and in private.

Thanks to Andrew, and welcome; I really have high hopes for our team and this project!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John,

If we were to recruit similar teams for other projects. Like the 360/308 etc. Would you want that team to discuss here, or another private forum? I can also then rename this forum to 550 Tech Team, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Andrew, the comments I received from the other members of our team is that they preferred to work "in private" with our small group, until the docs/articles were ready, then have them reviewed/vetted by others - presumably another small group, or perhaps 1-2 experts (Brian Crall, Dave Helms, etc.?)

What I'm leading up to here, is that I think because our group prefers to work in private, I'm guessing that subsequent groups would also. I think that I would find it distracting to have comments interjected by someone who is not familiar with our models, regardless how well intentioned they were.

And here's yet another request for you. Would it be possible to have some dedicated storage space in this area that we could use to upload drafts of documents rather than having to attach them to our posts? I wouldn't know the mechanics of doing this, however I envision a subforum type area of this subforum that would contain our working docs - maybe as you've done with the "Articles" tab and the Buyers Guides? It wouldn't have to be nearly as polished as this - just a normal FTP type folder would be fine.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I second John's thoughts. This is a place where we can discuss modifications and fixes without a lot of second guessing. We all have a lot of respect for each other.

When what ever we come up with is ready for prime time we can release it to the appropriate section.

I think the name ought to remain Maranello Tech as the two Maranellos have much in common.

I'm leaving the country for a couple of weeks so I won't be active for a while but when I return I'll start organizing some of my posts from the other site and we can go over them here.

Specifically I've done a lot of work on shock actuators and shock mounts.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you all. I'll keep it private to just this team and try to build a few similar for some of the other models and give them their own silo.

John,

If you want a shared doc that can be edited by multiple people, have you considered a Google doc? We could then link to it from here and they track the change history.

I can setup an FTP and give everyone access no problem.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Andrew, I hadn't thought about a shared Google doc; that's a good idea and I'll look into it.

I've been traveling and out of pocket for the last few days, but have arrived OK here in Algeria, and hope to progress this if our Internet connection will hold up....

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Tried the Google docs, but I kept getting error messages from Google with strong recommendations that I need to upgrade my old steam powered IE 7.0 browser to Chrome. Imagine that :)

Unfortunately, I'm on a "corporate" network in a 3rd world country, and it is what it is, so I don't think Google docs are going to work when I'm over here (which is 50% of the time).

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
Welcome to Pete (moorfan)

I'm very pleased that Pete Kamilakis has agreed to join our project team.

Pete is the relatively new owner of a 550, but is a very impressive DIY'er and hasn't been shy about jumping in and fixing things on the car. So far, he's had the manifolds and cam covers off, and is probably preparing to change the timing belts and tensioners himself. He's also pulled the fuel tank out and replaced all the gasketing and hoses which are known to leak.

Welcome Pete!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks John,
I appreciate the opportunity to be able to learn from you guys!
I'm in the middle of a serious sorting project on my 550. I came from a 360 so have some experience in the F world.
I am not a professional mechanic and admit feeling a little overwhelmed by the goal of degreeing my cams. Anyone who has any experience with that I would love to pick your brain about the nuts and bolts (no pun intended) of the process.

Thanks again!
Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.