Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Came across these dry weight figures for teh 348 and 355 and thought i would compare what mine are.

Dry weight

355 2976 lbs

3268 lbs

My 348 comes in at 3,124 lbs (1,420 kg) with:

- half a tank of fuel
- 360 carbon seats
- carbon exhaust heat shields
- 355 wheels
- tomtom sat nav unit

If half a tank equals 10 imperial gallons. each gallon is 3.4kg.....so that's 35kg of fuel or 75 lbs.

Subtracted from the 3,124 leaves a dry weight of around 3,049 lbs.

That's 219 lbs less than a standard 348 but still 73 lbs heavier than a 355.

that's quite a bit of weight saving (assuming my calculations are correct of course :D) and I'm thinking what else I could do.

I'm thinking of getting a set of 360 challenge wheels, so that's a few more kg there. I'll also get some titanium bolts from Hill Engineering to go with them.

Carbon discs are another option, but the cost is too high but I may consider them in a few years when costs have come down.

Something else I've been thinking about are titanium con rods. Don't know the price and the full benefits and any potential problems as yet.

What else to reduce weight?

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What type of seats are in the 348 ? A set of lightweight carbon fiber race seats will save quite a few lbs.
I've got the 360 carbon seats.

So much better than stock and of course significantly lighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Well, anything that can be replaced with Carbon Fiber will have a big factor in weight.

What's next, applying one less coat of wax than usual? :p

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I don't know about your 348, but mine could save a bunch on the weight total if I would eat more salads...
I don't see that happening real soon.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Could you fabricate new wings (fenders), bonnet (hood) door panels and trunk (boot) skins out of carbon fibre or glass fibre? Or is that cost prohibitive?

Does it really matter how light your 348 is? You could also try to cut out sugar and fat from your own diet:D Half a stone could make all the difference;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Could you fabricate new wings (fenders), bonnet (hood) door panels and trunk (boot) skins out of carbon fibre or glass fibre? Or is that cost prohibitive?

Does it really matter how light your 348 is? You could also try to cut out sugar and fat from your own diet:D Half a stone could make all the difference;)
Haha, so the next step is reducing user weight. :D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Archie and I, with a couple of cases of beer and a sawzall, can greatly reduce the weight of your car at a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
402 Posts
What's next, applying one less coat of wax than usual? :p
If you don't need airconditioning have the airconditioning taken off. That should be a good 60-70 lbs plus you save HP from not having the belt attached to the compressor.
;)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Seriously though, I agree with Archie. Does the weight of the car really matter? What is it you are attempting to accomplish? Are you racing the car? Do you want to just maximize performance without regards to cost/benefit?

I can see getting different seats because they are more comfortable and as an added bonus they weigh less. I can see getting some new rims because you like the looks of them and as an added bonus they reduce the unsprung weight. You kind of crossed the line into "obsessive" with me when you mentioned titanium con rods to reduce weight. You want to completely disassemble a perfectly good engine with the sole purpose of trying to reduce the spinning mass of the engine by reducing the weight of the connecting rods by a few ounces?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
just start wearing lighter clothes, that should reduce a lot of weight

and remember to keep your hair and nails always short, that's also unecessary weight ;)

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Sy time to make that 348 into a spider...:D:D

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
A few more serious ideas (I do like the salad suggestion but also personally not about to go in that direction):

- challenge type rear grill
- pull the AC out
- light weight aluminum pedals
- remove all the carpeting
- replace the glass windows with lexan/plexiglass
- replace the door panels with carbonfiber F40/challenge type panels

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found out today that in a group buy of 5 to 10 people, a front bumper would cost around £1,500 plus vat. that's £3,00o plus vat for the front and rear.

You could also try to cut out sugar and fat from your own diet Half a stone could make all the difference
I've already stopped eating meals before dring the 348. During Ramadan, the car feels a lot faster!!

If you don't need airconditioning have the airconditioning taken off. That should be a good 60-70 lbs plus you save HP from not having the belt attached to the compressor.
Unfortunatly Air con is one of lifes luxuries that I can't really live without. :D

Seriously though, I agree with Archie. Does the weight of the car really matter? What is it you are attempting to accomplish? Are you racing the car? Do you want to just maximize performance without regards to cost/benefit?

I can see getting different seats because they are more comfortable and as an added bonus they weigh less. I can see getting some new rims because you like the looks of them and as an added bonus they reduce the unsprung weight. You kind of crossed the line into "obsessive" with me when you mentioned titanium con rods to reduce weight. You want to completely disassemble a perfectly good engine with the sole purpose of trying to reduce the spinning mass of the engine by reducing the weight of the connecting rods by a few ounces?
The weight reduction is a by product of all teh mods i've made to teh car. I did'nt purposely set out with that intention. However, i can see teh benefits that it brings.

The titanium conrod idea is not for weight reduction reasons, but for performance enhancement. My aim is to get around 370 to 400 bhp out of the engine whilsts retaining drivability and reliability.

Depending on which transmission loss figure you believe, I'm getting anywhere from 332 to 352 bhp. So I just need another 45 plus bhp which I think is possible.

just start wearing lighter clothes, that should reduce a lot of weight
I've tried driving with just a G string, but just did'nt feel comfortable. :(

Sy time to make that 348 into a spider...:D
I've tried driving with just a G string, but just did'nt feel comfortable. :(

- challenge type rear grill
- pull the AC out
- light weight aluminum pedals
- remove all the carpeting
- replace the glass windows with lexan/plexiglass
- replace the door panels with carbonfiber F40/challenge type panels
I am not that crazy..........

yet!!! :cool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Always empty your bladder and bowel before you get into the car, you might save another 1/2 lb there:D
Hmm dunno what kinda food or how much you drink, but when I piss in the morning and take a dump I always lose about 2-3 pounds. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts