Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear friends

Glaring for years at the photographs of the F40's and F50's in many different books it happened that I checked the technical spec's of those authors to the 2 cars which indicated almost no weight difference between the F40 and F50 (1230 against 1235kg).
Now for the first time I checked the homologation papers and realized that the F40 is almost 100 kg lighter than the F50.

Of course, nobody will argue about fuel consumation on a Ferrari in general but interestingly within the same homologation papers I checked the fuel use for combined driving (city and outside): F40 combined around 14 liters per 100km, F50 27 (!) liters.

Nice to know in the case of the F50 that with JazzyO in Mali instead of having a nice girl as a Co Driver, you better choose to have a couple of removable fuel bottles/tanks next to you.:D

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Well, considering that the F40 has a smaller engine with turbos, it really should have a better fuel consumption than the imense V12 that the F50 has.

The difference in weight also helps, of course, but my guess is that most of that difference comes from the smaller volumetric capacity of the V8.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Glaring for years at the photographs of the F40's and F50's in many different books it happened that I checked the technical spec's of those authors to the 2 cars which indicated almost no weight difference between the F40 and F50 (1230 against 1235kg).
Now for the first time I checked the homologation papers and realized that the F40 is almost 100 kg lighter than the F50.

Of course, nobody will argue about fuel consumation on a Ferrari in general but interestingly within the same homologation papers I checked the fuel use for combined driving (city and outside): F40 combined around 14 liters per 100km, F50 27 (!) liters.
I just checked the owners manuals and the number listed are:

F50
urban 41 liters/100km
highway 17.8 liters/100km
weight 1320 kg

F40
urban 18 liters/100km
highway 10.3 liters/100km
weight 1235kg

The F40 fuel consumption numbers are a bit different when the turbos are spooled up ..........

1 - 3 of 3 Posts