Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all know my baby is in for her Major. Engine is still n the bench but I have some lessons learned for those who might be doing theirs soon. Biggest one is the Water pump (hence the title of the thread).

348's have a relatively unique set of parameters for access to many semi normal wear items such as alternators and waterpumps. These accessories are driven by a set of belts located at the front of the engine. These items are only accessable when the engine is out which is a fairly major and pricey undertaking. As a result of access difficulties, detailed inspections are performed when the engine is out. If ANY potential issues exist, the parts are simply replaced precluding unplanned failures.

Heres where it gets good...

A new replacement water pump for a 348 is priced near $1500. Rebuilt waterpumps are available through most parts suppliers for $700-$800. I found a guy in Mississippi who receives your pump, rebuilds it with new bearings and seals, and ships your pump back to you within 48 hours for the amazing price of $99 plus shipping. As an additional comparison, the rebuild kit for the DIYer that includes gaskets and seals only is $57

Just thought you'd like to know.

Lane

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao Saint

That sounds to good to be true If gaskets and seals cost $57 and shipping could be any where from $10 to $25 then his profit is $33 or $17 that does not make good business sense on his part especially when labour charges on average are around $60 an hour so unless there is something we don't know or he rebuilds in 15 min or less it sounds to good to be true. Let us know how it turns out good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Multiple users from another forum have these units presently in there cars. One has been running it for nearly 2 years, no trouble. All have commented on the quality of work performed based on appearance. The guy says he gets the seals and bearings much cheaper because he deals directly with the bearing manufacturer.

Am I concerned...yes...Skeptical...yes...looking forward to seeing the finished product...yes.

Hopeful...ABSOLUTELY.

You guys will be the first to hear the results.

Lane

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Awesome good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts