Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what makes a "super car" in the automotive world?

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I wouldn't think the 512 would classify as a super car. An Exotic Sports Car yes, but not a super car.

I think the following could help define super car:

1. Shatters some major records for its time as it relates to performance
2. It is very rare (less than 500)
3. It is very expensive (not that the 512 isn't expensive)
4. The company making the car pushes their own limit

Cars that come to mind that fit the above:

Ferrari: Enzo, F50, F40, 288 GTO
McLaren F1
Jaguar XJ220
Pagani Zonda
Saleen S7
Maserati MC12
Porsche: 959, Carrera GT

·
Registered
37 Posts
Great Answer
got me thinking tho , no Bugatti Veryon ?
No Lambo at all ?
The name supercar is overused i think
Same as " World Class " for Sportsmen
Gerrard , Lampard , Rooney , Give me a break !!!!!!
Porsche 911 , Supercar i think not

Rant Over

P.S. McFadden Goal against France DEFFO World Class :rofl:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would certainly have considered the TR a supercar in the mid 80s, same with a Countach. With a bit of perspective though I guess not.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I would certainly have considered the TR a supercar in the mid 80s, same with a Countach. With a bit of perspective though I guess not.
I agree, back in the 80's when the Testarossa was launched with a top speed of 186mph and 390 horses it would have been a supercar in it's day or at least in supercar territory if production numbers ruled it out. OK it sounds lame by todays standards, but who knows what supercars will be capable of in 20 years time? My guess is 300 MPH or 500 KM/H will be the benchmark.

Other than the 288GTO and Coutach what else was there to compete with in the mid 80's, I can't think of anything?

In the late 80's and early 90's, the 512TR had tougher competition, with the McLaren F1, Zonda, XJ220, F40, Bugati EB110.

Most motoring pundits refer to the non turbo V8 Ferrari's as junior supercars and the V12's/Flat 12's and V8 turbo's as supercars.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The term supercar is not very exact at all. For instance, if we say it should be rare (less than 500 according to Andrew), then the F40 doesn't even qualify.

For me, if it is an outrageous car, and the top of the range of an established sportscar manufacturer, it is a supercar. What qualifies as outrageous? If it has been made for pure performance and has looks that can kill at a hundred paces (either through beauty or sheer shock!). Some cars compensate for the lack of performance through dramatic looks (such as the Stratos), and some the other way around (such as the McLaren F1).

For instance: for me, my own 550 doesn't qualify (even though it was the Ferrari with the most performance you could buy for a short time) as it is built to be practical. It's even a bit of a Q-car - a lot of people don't even notice me until they see my badge on the boot.

With this definition, cars like the TR definitely qualify. It was the car that kids put up over their beds, which is good enough for me. :) The same with the current Murcielago for instance.

But as I said before, it's a vague term and people experience it differently.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
While researching my 348 I came across an article that called the 348 a Supercar. It was very controversial because Honda NSX owners felt slighted believing there car was a step above the 348. This led me to assume that the term "supercar" was coined by some media outlet (like car and driver or the like) and was voted on each year allowing only 1 recipient. I was personnally surprise to find the 348 called "supercar" because the term should mean more than some political statement and should not necesarily be assigned in years where no true "step up" in performance exists.

Using the terms that called a 348 "super", I would say that the TR should have been a supercar at some point in its career.

Lane

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
My Mistake...The 348 was dubbed "junior supercar". Parts of the article I read were repeated in the QV500.com info page

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The term supercar is not very exact at all. For instance, if we say it should be rare (less than 500 according to Andrew), then the F40 doesn't even qualify.
In general I do agree with the production number limitation. However I would make an exception for the F40 (originally only 400 were planned but when demand far exceeded the 400 units, Ferrari kept the line running basically because they needed the sales). It definitely qualifies on all the other attributed (speed, looks, performance, cost).

In addition, given the propensity of many owners to misjudge right foot pressure and turbo boost level, the 500 unit level may be achieved in the not to distant future ;)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts