Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1985 308 QV last week. I am anxiously waiting for news that it is has left Florida to be shipped to my home in California. It is white with black interior with 34k miles. I would like to have LoJack installed and would like to know what type of alarm system to install. I would also like to purchase the best car cover I can get for when it is parked outside during the day when I am at work and for when it is in my garage at night at home. I will be using the car as a daily driver to work, about 6 miles one way and on weekends for fun drives in the local moutains and along the coast. I have read that some car covers are extra thick to help protect against door dings in parking lots. I am a small business owner and have already scoped out the best place to park my Ferrari and will try to have my employees park next to me when at all possible. I have been reading the posts here for the last few months and found a lot of very useful information. Any help with the security issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
308QVowner said:
I purchased a 1985 308 QV last week. I am anxiously waiting for news that it is has left Florida to be shipped to my home in California. It is white with black interior with 34k miles. I would like to have LoJack installed and would like to know what type of alarm system to install. I would also like to purchase the best car cover I can get for when it is parked outside during the day when I am at work and for when it is in my garage at night at home. I will be using the car as a daily driver to work, about 6 miles one way and on weekends for fun drives in the local moutains and along the coast. I have read that some car covers are extra thick to help protect against door dings in parking lots. I am a small business owner and have already scoped out the best place to park my Ferrari and will try to have my employees park next to me when at all possible. I have been reading the posts here for the last few months and found a lot of very useful information. Any help with the security issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael.

Ferrari's are almost never stolen in the states. Extremely low risk on that one. Not even on the radar screen.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Brian said:
Ferrari's are almost never stolen in the states. Extremely low risk on that one. Not even on the radar screen.
Never say never. It does happen although it is rare and the thief is sure to get caught. Last year a buddy of mine had his 308 stolen out of a locked storage facility. He got it back but the thief had crashed it into a cop car during his getaway from a used car dealer he was trying to sell the car to.

Don't mean to scare you Michael. Ferrari thefts are rare because thiefs know they can't get rid of them easily. A Honda is far more likely to be stolen. Most Ferrari thefts are crimes of opportunity and it sounds like you are prepared to remove that opportunity. The car cover at work is a good idea. Don't get a fancy cover, just a plain simple cover to keep the dust, sun and prying eyes off the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. guys. I guess I worry more about having my car dinged or scratched or dented by either other car doors or people trying to check it out in the parking lot. I definitely want to get a plain car cover and the thicker the better for a possible cushion effect and to hide the fact that it is a Ferrari. Also, having an alarm installed would alert me that someone was perhaps tampering with the car. I don't imagine a car thief could easily hide a Ferrari or easily escape detection. I still might have a LoJack installed just for added peace of mind. Thanks again. Michael.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats.

I think it great that you are using it as a daily driver, I do the same and I get this little smile everytime I slip behind the wheel. It just makes your overall day better. You will love the sound of the QV, and will find yourself hit the gas then backing off over and over just to hear the sound of the engine. Enjoy!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the site, I hope you enjoy your car. So long as you don't park your car in the Tenderloin district of SF you should be fine. I don't think your car would get stolen but I have had two different friends get their window's smashed.

It is your car so I would suggest doing what makes you feel the most comfortable. If that means having an alarm then go for it. I think you'll find most people will respect the car and not ding it. However, if you are in a congested area (downtown SF for example) then the risk of minor dings goes up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts