Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets speculate. What are the chances of a V10 in the future. How about a V10 to replace the 360?

I'm guessing it won't happen but it would be interesting to hear everyones opinion. After all F1(s) are V10s so why not throw one of these bad boys into a street car?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I think if you but a F1 engine in a streetcar. Only millioniars can pay the car. because a F1 use a lot of olie.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Heck, Chrysler puts out 2 vehicles with V10's. I wouldn't mind seeing Ferrari with a 10 cylinder on the market.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well, the Ferrari rival - Lamborghini - has their V-10 in the line-up to compete with the 360, so we may get the chance to see Ferrari introduce one... Not in the immediate 360 replacement, since the rumors that I've heard/read are almost confirmed that it'll use the Maser 4.2 V-8 as a base. Maybe the one after that, or the next Super Ferrari! :green:

Remember, Ferrari then and now was never the first to jump on a technical breakthrough bandwagon and/or marketing trend.

·
Registered
194 Posts
With Lambo, Audi (soon, just wait) and BMW equipping hardcore sport models with V10s, I don't see how Ferrari could keep on competing with V8s.
I don't believe much in the F1->road car engine migration, this more marketing than engineering reality.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Porsche has managed to stay with the pace using 6s the whole time. Although to get competitive they have to turbo charge the thing. I think Ferrari could realisticly keep doing what they are with V8s. Of course these days Ferraris are best on the track. A 911 TT may beat a 360 off the line with its AWD and turbos but on the track the two or much more even.

An F1 engine to a street I think is more reasonable. Of course they wouldn't be the same engines, that is just crazy. But Ferrari can make a V10, they do every year for F1. Just apply the knowledge learned here for a road version and I think you would have one hell of an engine.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
An F1 engine to a street I think is more reasonable. Of course they wouldn't be the same engines, that is just crazy. But Ferrari can make a V10, they do every year for F1. Just apply the knowledge learned here for a road version and I think you would have one hell of an engine.
You got that right! Those Formula 1 teams have their hands full trying to make the engine run reliably for 2 hours. Imagine trying to get that much power and make the thing last 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
A 911 TT may beat a 360 off the line with its AWD and turbos but on the track the two or much more even.
Don't mean to be abrasive, but in actuality, when you take the cars to the track, the difference in performance grows even bigger in the Porsche's favor.

I opted for a 996 Turbo instead of a Modena because of the reliability and how much better it could be driven fast. Porsche's PSM makes you drive like a hero! It also handles better and takes turns much faster due to it's 4wd and neutral chassis. Given how the GT2 (unavailable at time of purchase, otherwise I would've bought one) is 2wd and even faster, I think it has more to do with chassis dynamics.

Cheers

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stickanddice said:
Enzo250GTO said:
A 911 TT may beat a 360 off the line with its AWD and turbos but on the track the two or much more even.
Don't mean to be abrasive, but in actuality, when you take the cars to the track, the difference in performance grows even bigger in the Porsche's favor.

I opted for a 996 Turbo instead of a Modena because of the reliability and how much better it could be driven fast. Porsche's PSM makes you drive like a hero! It also handles better and takes turns much faster due to it's 4wd and neutral chassis. Given how the GT2 (unavailable at time of purchase, otherwise I would've bought one) is 2wd and even faster, I think it has more to do with chassis dynamics.

Cheers
Not a problem, I like being corrected when I am wrong. I was under the impression that the 360 gained on the track due to its aerodynamics from the design which basically applies just the right amount of downforce to keep the car planted to the ground but not creating too much friction. Guess not.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Germans have always been practical and logical. Their cars reflect this. They are to get from point A to point B. Nevertheless, the cars of a particular German manufacturer always look the same. Take Mercedes for example; their models are hardly distinguishable from one another, all looking the same. Porsche is the same...they have the same design for all of their cars except the cayenne. Italians, on the other hand are impractical, imaginative, and sylish. Their cars are mostly different, their models being far-fetched and eye-catching. They release models with brand-new sheet-metal work quite often. They are always willing to try something new. Their cars are not as brute and industrial as Porsche. I appreciate Ferrari for their sheer-beauty and non-conformality in days where all people care about is speed. It is beyond me why companies that keep the same model (the Corvette, Viper, 911, Espirit) are so admired by the masses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stickanddice said:
Totally agree. And as you mention, the GT2 version of the 911 would not just beat but smoke the Modena, stradale or not. Of course, I still think the 360 is a more beautiful car, which counts for a lot (come on, we're talking about street cars here...). But as far as the bang for the buck goes, Porsche owns that category hands down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Azzurro California 575M said:
It is beyond me why companies that keep the same model (the Corvette, Viper, 911, Espirit) are so admired by the masses.
Well, look at the sticker price on some of those cars you're comparing with Ferraris and you'll have a large part of your answer.

Also, not everyone shares your view of the design for some of these cars. Being a Ferrari fan, I agree with you wholeheartedly on the looks department, but there are plenty of people who have called the Maranello boring and the 360 to be "all show no go," not to mention all the comments (both positive but plenty of negative too) directed at the Enzo.

·
Registered
770 Posts
tangun said:
But as far as the bang for the buck goes, Porsche owns that category hands down.
No chance - that title is owned by the Radical SR3 - there isn't a production Porsche that would get near it. In fact, throw in the Jaguar JP1 - and the Porsche would be even further behind!!

They're both production road cars - just!!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know the car mentioned above by Bazil but I think the biggest bang for your buck is the Corvette Z06. I would however take any Ferrari any day over this. Go ahead, call me crazy. I don't think the Corvette falls in the Exotic category which means we are comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I drove the Lamborghini Gallardo last Saturday in an arranged test drive for selected guests and I am really impressed with the V10 engine. The torque is superb. And the exaust note is fabulous.

I am a Ferrari man through and through but the Gallardo will make life difficult for the 360 Modena. I don't think it will be a threat to the Stradale ( I had a ride in it as well) but will take customers away from the Modena. The Gallardo dealer already had 14 confirmed orders and these are the same people who would otherwise be buying the Modena.

So Ferrari has to have a V10 as well. A V8 with bigger capacity is also a solution for the "small" Ferrari but it would lose the bragging rights to the Lamborghini though. In this market segment, it has alot to do with perception. A lot of the buyers are not real enthusiasts but people with a lot of money, at least in my part of the world.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would be willing to bet that the people who have confirmed orders for the new Lambo have ordered it simply because they would be closer to the top of the order list; no 2 or 3 year waiting period.
I have to wait until I sit in the Gallardo before I make any judgement about it. All the Lambo's I have sat in before have simply been too small for me to even start, let alone drive. But that's just me. :D

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I agree with Stradale's assessment. To really stay ahead they need to build an affordable killer. The Enzo is a killer but not affordable and very limited of course. Now I'm not saying make an Enzo like car for the price of a Lambo, but do make the flagship 360, or its replacement a bit more powerful. I think the 575M Maranello hows the power, but the price is higher than the cars we are talking about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi - my first post on the Forum. I don't really see Ferrari being "challenged" by anyone. I think the person who buys a Lambo (and a GT2 for that matter) is just a different kind of person. I'm not trying to say that it's better or worse, I just don't see the Gallardo taking loads of people away from the 360. As it stands now, you have people still paying over MSRP for the 360. Can you say that about the Murcielago? Drive it off the lot and it depreciates by 50K. Ferraris' are about racing heritage and that feeling that you get when you are in them - a feeling that can't really be put into words. But the fact is that a Ferrari feels like something special. It's not just an exotic, it's not just fast. As one of you aptly pointed out, these are road cars, they aren't just race cars. There's more at stake than just going fast. That's why Mercedes can only make 25 CLK GTRs and Ferrari can make 399 Enzos - because there's something a little special in Ferrari's stable that people want to be a part of. I don't ever see that being challenged - not by any other marque.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
zjpj,
welcome to the forum and great post!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts