Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine came up with a useless fact today, I thought I'd share it with you.

Ferrari have built approx 150,000 cars in the last 60 years, there are currently approx 6,000,000,000 people on the planet. Assuming all the cars were still in existance and all Ferrari owners only had one Ferrari, that would mean 1 in 400,000 people owned a ferrari today. I'd say that makes us pretty exclusive.

Truth is that figure is probably nearer 1/10,000,000 in the developing world and closer to 1/50,000 in the developed world.

However, my friend drives a AM Vanquish, so his car is more exclusive than mine:(

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
A friend of mine came up with a useless fact today, I thought I'd share it with you.

Ferrari have built approx 150,000 cars in the last 60 years, there are currently approx 6,000,000,000 people on the planet. Assuming all the cars were still in existance and all Ferrari owners only had one Ferrari, that would mean 1 in 400,000 people owned a ferrari today. I'd say that makes us pretty exclusive.

Truth is that figure is probably nearer 1/10,000,000 in the developing world and closer to 1/50,000 in the developed world.

However, my friend drives a AM Vanquish, so his car is more exclusive than mine:(
um, I actually think I read that in a FerrariLife quarterly....Issue 3 July 2006 Page 10

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be, my pal had adapted it for his AM. We did a quick calc to work it out for Ferrari as he was trying to prove in a gentlemanly way that his car was more exclusive than mine.
I haven't looked at that issue - are the figures similar? or were we way off the mark?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Could be, my pal had adapted it for his AM. We did a quick calc to work it out for Ferrari as he was trying to prove in a gentlemanly way that his car was more exclusive than mine.
I haven't looked at that issue - are the figures similar? or were we way off the mark?
actually your figures are more accurate except in total Ferrari production which FQly has at about 60,000 vehicles.

now the vanquish is a model not a mfgr.. so, as far as total production goes I'm not sure it's that exclusive, especially when you consider only 300+ enzos, a couple 'others' only here and there et.c

I think a more exclusive view might be $/# [no not Bsterling], consider the cost of an $14,000,000 one off Ferrari to a cost of large, dirt hauler, and Ferrari comes out ahead....... :\ perhaps exclussivity might be single owners at a time vs total numbers in circulation...that's much more fine.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now the vanquish is a model not a mfgr.. so, as far as total production goes I'm not sure it's that exclusive, especially when you consider only 300+ enzos, a couple 'others' only here and there et.c
Absolutely right, the original conversation was comparing Vanquish production of circa 1400 cars to 328 production of circa 6000, it was then later adapted for all F cars and all Astons. We tried to work it out for Porsche, but they were too common so we gave up;)

There are quite a few holes in the theory though. many of the wealthy owners have owned fleets of Ferrari's over the years, and many cars have had 10 plus owners. That would mean ratio of people who have owned a ferrari at some point in their life is actually much higher.

Agree with F exclusivity over AM. How many AM's are in the same bracket as the 250/330 GTO/TR or LM?

I have friends who own other prestige sports marques and they take part in their own marque's forums. It's interesting to find out that they all have the same chats about useless info as we do, only difference is the debate is adapted for their own cars. Great thing the internet:)

I was also told some other really boring facts about laying out cars end to end, and how far they would stretch, but I've forgotten the numbers, so I won't bore you with them;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the total produced is 60,000 ,
then I've only got about..........
..............56,500 more to see :)
If you've seen 3500 already, you are doing well. Excluding cars I've seen at events, I've not even seen a dozen on the road this year. I think the British climate probably has a lot to do with that:(

·
Registered
490 Posts
Absolutely right, the original conversation was comparing Vanquish production of circa 1400 cars to 328 production of circa 6000, it was then later adapted for all F cars and all Astons. We tried to work it out for Porsche, but they were too common so we gave up;)

There are quite a few holes in the theory though. many of the wealthy owners have owned fleets of Ferrari's over the years, and many cars have had 10 plus owners. That would mean ratio of people who have owned a ferrari at some point in their life is actually much higher.

Agree with F exclusivity over AM. How many AM's are in the same bracket as the 250/330 GTO/TR or LM?

I have friends who own other prestige sports marques and they take part in their own marque's forums. It's interesting to find out that they all have the same chats about useless info as we do, only difference is the debate is adapted for their own cars. Great thing the internet:)

I was also told some other really boring facts about laying out cars end to end, and how far they would stretch, but I've forgotten the numbers, so I won't bore you with them;)

I'm gonna be controversial again here!!!!!

I've done a few AM's over the years and would be absolutely delighted if I never had to work on another!
A very good friend worked at Newport P and at the time all the publicity showed quality control guys pointing out faults needing to be rectified in finished cars that journalists invariably could not see - handbuilt = quality - this was done purely as publicity.
Not as well engineered as a Bristol and not as well set up as a Ferrari.
IMO of course!

On another subject - the great Jag historian Phil Porter has a lovely quote in one of his books - of the 80,000 E Types built, about 150,000 are accounted for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
On another subject - the great Jag historian Phil Porter has a lovely quote in one of his books - of the 80,000 E Types built, about 150,000 are accounted for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very good quote and so true. How many 250 GTOs exist today? The number of living cars for different models is always changing.

On another topic, I think the Aston Martin fans should check out Aston Martin Life

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
......We tried to work it out for Porsche, but they were too common so we gave up;)
Funny, but what everyone was thinking, thus exclusivity=[commonality-(intro $)+(quirks)]

but I've forgotten the numbers, so I won't bore you with them;)
lat or long. :)

but do totally agree that 'worthless' facts abound: best thing is, Ferrari has 'issues' which keeps discussion alive.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Very good quote and so true. How many 250 GTOs exist today? The number of living cars for different models is always changing.

On another topic, I think the Aston Martin fans should check out Aston Martin Life
250 GTOs - 36 and only 36 exist. All are well documented and accounted for !

In terms of total Ferrari production, as of mid 2007, it would be around 125,000. Total world population is 6.6 billion. Therefore your chance of owning a Ferrari is rougly 0.00002%. Then if you add in a few selfish guys who own several, the odds really go to hell.

You may have a better chance a getting hit by lightening.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Then if you add in a few selfish guys who own several, the odds really go to hell.

You may have a better chance a getting hit by lightening.
Boxer, looks like you need to share your collection out, I'll have the F40 next month;)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey, Al, several years ago, I got to restore an Aston Martin - with zero miles on it. The car was brand new. The showroom caught fire, and took the car with it. Right front fender melted away. One of the hardest parts to fix was the gas tanks. The fire department filled them with water and trashed the tanks and the senders. AM could not supply new ones. -Steve

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nooooooooooo service is the responsibility of the current keeper. Would you mind getting the fuel tanks changed as well ?
:eek: :eek: :eek: £$€£$€ !!!
Better Idea, let Cap't Pete have it next month he can take care of the service, and I'll have it the month after;)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
if you add in a few selfish guys who own several, the odds really go to hell.
yeah, I really don't understand what's the deal with those selfish bastards!! hehehehehe

great thing that there aren't any of them here in this forum, I'm sure you'd be the first one to throw them out of here, right Boxer!? hehehehehe

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was curious about this number,

Hello fellow Ferraristi:

I have wondered about the total number of Ferraris produced in the company's 60 years, so I called 'Cavallino'. They gave a quote of 'about 70,000.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts