Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an interesting discussion with a friend recently. Basic topic was how do you decide when a car is just a car vs. when is it a work of art to be cared for a preserved for prosperity. Is it by age, production numbers, value, or all in the eye of the beholder ? Ferrari has produced roughly 90,000 cars in its history, 20,000 of these are 360's & 10,000 are F355's. Are these just used cars now or something more ? What about the 3600 Dino 246's ? While the answer appears pretty clear on some of the early models (250's, 275's) just based on how the market values them, where do the rest sit ? Opinions ?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think supply and demand. If people still like the car, and are paying big bucks to get one because there are not enough on the market, it is logical the cars are looked after, like the older Ferrari's and 246s. The Dino 308 on the other hand does not get the same attention because not that many people like it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Definately eye of the beholder. The owner undoubtedly takes those aspects into account. Ford made 1.3 MILLION mustangs from 64.5-66 and some wont take them out in the rain. In 30 years any one of those cars will probably qualify as a museum piece. Not to say that I really care about the mustang mind you, just as an extreme example.

Ferrari's will carry the added prestige and exclusivity which I think will make them more likely to become collectibles earlier in their life but some people will collect and preserve just about anything.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
This will depend on how many cars are well looked after. Rarity makes desirability. If there are still thousands of 360s and 355s around in the future, then they will drop in value like the 308s. I can see 308s becoming more desirable in the future as people can afford to buy them but they aren't worth throwing money at to restore. Eventually there will be less of them and the good ones will be collectable. Not exactly heated discussion - just my opinion. :D

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Certainly eye of the beholder. When I went to the Palo Alto Concours there was a little of everything and people taking care of them all.

However, as a general rule I would say:

1. Production number is a big factor
2. Age helps when the production numbers aren't really low

The above two factors will effect the value of the car. If by "work of art" you mean the car is on the same level as say a Monet then I would say that rarely happens if ever. I'm not sure there are $100,000,000 dollar cars whereas there are some Monet's that could pull this price tag. Then again there aren't too many paintings for $10,000,000 the price of a 250 GTO.

Now I am getting confused and side tracked. A 308 cost $25,000 - $35,000 now. For $35,000 you could get some very nice original paintings from less main stream artisit but still good enought that art collectors will pay. So does this make the 308 a "work of art" just like the painting hanging on your wall?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Boxer said:
Wow, I thought this would get some heated discussion going :eek:

I guess not.....
Ha Ha Ha, to do that you'd have to make it Ferrari vs. Lambo or Porsche or Corvette or Viper, etc... :lol:

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I think it's a mix of both supply/demand as well as how people perceive the car. Take for example the Mercedes 300 SL Gullwing (stunning looking car if you ask me) of which there were only about 1400 built. They were also widow-makers due to lousy handling so there aren't as many left. But that sort of thing can also add to the mystique of the car. So even though you can sum it up as "perception of the car" or "supply and demand", it's a whole range of things that actually make it a collectible.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Boxer said:
In terms of the top ones I would list in each category:

Work o' Art
250 GTO (easy choice)
275 GTS
365 GTB/4 Daytona
Testa Rossa
F40
Enzo
250 Lusso
365 GT4 BB

Used Car
400iA
Mondial 8
456 GT
360 Modena
348 TB
308i
F355 GTB
Testarossa
No gray areas between the two? I would say the 456 is a bit more than a used car. The others in the list I could understand.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I feel sad to see the 355 and the Testarossa in the used car list

the Testarossa may not be a good or reliable Ferrari, but it was (and still is, in my opinion) a dream car

and the 355 is just soooooo gorgeous!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts