Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I too will miss it. Just remember you cannot stop progess. The F1 racing is leaving countries in the backwater and going to the future in the sand. How many have been dropped in Europe? The U. S. of A. will grind to a stop.

Boy, is Bernie smart. Now he has four major auto companies (Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, & BWM) racing. He will show the world who is boss.

ps: Is Canada next?

:(

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It's a shame that the good people of the USA won't see what the rest of the world watches, and won't see Ferrari racing either.
I know Indy is the big thing in the US, but it's never caught on anywhere else. F1 is the King of motorsport.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
yes, very sad indeed! I think it was cool to have the Formula 1 racing in Indianapolis...

I REALLY hope that it doens't happen to Canada, because that is one GREAT circuit, that always give the public a great race, besides being one of the most beautiful places in the world

archie, Ferrari will still race in the USA, but in "lower" categories with the F430 (not sure if the 575 are still running)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Boxer is right NASCAR is king in the U.S. If I am in front of the tv on the weekend I sometimes watch it. It is actually more entertaining than F1 I think. You'll see a car get hit into the wall, go into the pits for giant blue duck tape, a couple hits with a rubber mallet and then back onto the track!

See below photos, both went on to finish their race!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
They tried introducing NASCAR over here a few years ago. A fantastic oval track was built at Rockingham, I've had a few track days there, and it's great fun. But it hasn't really made much impact over here, F1 and GT racing and BTCC (touring cars) are the big motorsports in the UK and probably the rest of Europe.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Andrew,
love that picture of the pit man running up with a reciprocating saw !
You don't see that in F1 :)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Andrew, I agree that Nascar may be even more entertaining to watch than F1, that got boring in the late 90s and still hasn't gone back to what it was on the late 80s

and yes, it IS difficult to drive a Nascar race car, going side by side with 2 other cars in a curve

but I don't know, I'm not a fan of it, I guess the engineer inside me keeps telling me that the F1 cars are the best toys, no matter how boring the race is, that's were I want to be =D hehehehehehe

great pics, BTW!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, it is so very different... I think in the F1 you need to know very VERY well how your car is, where is it's limit, where is your limit, and where you are on the road

on Nascar it is more about where you are and where the others are, the reference you need is the other car next to you

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I have no idea how to compare the driving experience of the two, I do know that a NASCAR can go about 200mph and in last weekends race you would have 4 cars all within inches of each other at these speeds.

While Montoya wasn't the king of F1 his performance in NASCAR so far has sucked. I am not sure what that translates into but something to think about. NASCAR has also started to race on road courses (2 so far).

What I like about NASCAR is it is about racing not the cars. Here is a great article (I just skimmed the first two pages).

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motorsports/1336277.html

How much of an F1 car is computer driven today? I only ask because I have no idea but I've seen Ferrari's F1 steering wheel and it looks nuts.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
How much of an F1 car is computer driven today? I only ask because I have no idea but I've seen Ferrari's F1 steering wheel and it looks nuts.
well, Montoya was good when he was racing in Indy cars, wasn't he?

I think Indy is the mid-term between Nascar and F1 hehehehehehe

F1 cars do have a lot of electronics, but the driver has control

if you put an idiot behind the wheel, me for example, all the potential of the car would be wasted, even with the electronics

you need a driver that can use that technology in his favor, adjusting the car to his driving style and the track conditions

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have no idea how to compare the driving experience of the two, I do know that a NASCAR can go about 200mph and in last weekends race you would have 4 cars all within inches of each other at these speeds.

While Montoya wasn't the king of F1 his performance in NASCAR so far has sucked. I am not sure what that translates into but something to think about. NASCAR has also started to race on road courses (2 so far).

What I like about NASCAR is it is about racing not the cars. Here is a great article (I just skimmed the first two pages).

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motorsports/1336277.html

I wouldn't say Montoya has Sucked....he became the fourth(?) driver to win an F1 race, Indycar Race and a Busch Race, and Nextel Race, both of which are NASCARs. He has had two victories this year in his NASCAR career and would have had 4-5 more top 5 finishes if he hadn't been taken out in the last few laps. But boy was there a lot of hate on him the last race he won....the drivers didn't think it was fair that he was bumping up on people every now and then and said that he was lucky for finishing without running out of fuel because 3 people dropped out on the final lap. Personally I find F1 races more exciting that NASCAR...sure, they are going at 200 MPH, turning left, side by side part of the time.....but in F1 there seems to be so much more camaraderie between the drivers, whereas NASCAR drivers are fighting after every single race, Formula 1 has all of the sweeping turns and curves, and is so much harder on the drivers, meaning they have to be able to take the punishment and have to be able to have the skill to begin with. Even though Nascar has many more little crashes, and a couple big ones, I don't find it as entertaining as F1.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I don't think Schumacher was very well liked in F1 among other drivers. He often pulled cheap stunts like spinning out at Monaco during qualifying to screw up the driver that was having a good run.

There hasn't been a lot of class in F1 since Senna. These are all just my opinion of course.

The series that could have gone International and blew it was Champ right after the split and the new IRL league. They had all the best drivers and decent cars.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I don't think Schumacher was very well liked in F1 among other drivers. He often pulled cheap stunts like spinning out at Monaco during qualifying to screw up the driver that was having a good run.
I think Schumacher was brilliant with his cheap stunts. It’s what made him a cut above the rest. In NASCAR, you qualify alone, in F1 you do with a crowd. I say good for him, he had the guts to do it and stood by it.

~

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Schumacher did a similar thing in 95 or 96, he deliberately crashed into Damon Hill to stop him from winning the title.

Schuey was without doubt the best driver in the last 15 years and is one of the all time greats, just look at his record, but I don't think he had any serious competition either. I don't know how well he would have got on in the 70's, 80's and early 90's when drivers like Senna, Prost, Piquet, Arnoux, Petersen, Lauda, Stewart, Villeneuve and Mansell were in their prime.

However, history will say that he won the championship 7 (or is it 8) times. You can't take that away from him and good luck to him.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Great driving though does not mean he was a class act.
I agree, I went off him when he crashed into Damon and started slagging him off. I was pleased when Damon won the championship the following year and got his revenge. Although Schuey was disqualified for half of the season, and Damon's Williams Renault was by far the best car that year.

Schuey was still a better driver than Damon and had he been in a Williams he would have probably won every race that season.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts