Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people think about this law. By the year 2020 car companies are suppose to have an average of 35 mpg. I know Ferrari has developed the F430 bio fuel, but does anyone know of any developments to this problem? I've read a lot about the possible elimination of the V8 in the US, meaning Corvettes and such. I'm not a fan of American cars, but this doesn't seem good for foreign cars selling into the US either. I am leasing an '07 Chevy Cobalt that has a 2.2L I4, with 148 hp:rolleyes: Even with a stick the max I get is 28mpg. I know there are many things car manufacturers can do to increase fuel efficiency, but I was wondering if supercars will have the same regulations. Thank you very much,

Chris

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ciao tutti

I don't why people get upset at the fact that they are going to regulate the amount of gas consumption by a vehicle. Sure the first few might be a bit slower but supply and demand of faster cars will force the auto makers to produce cars with similar performance as now and better gas mileage, it happened before it will happen again it's inevitable this is a win win situation.
You have to adapt modify and change to survive if they don't they will end up like the Delorean.
The Discovery channel has a show called The Extreme Green Machine Challenge where they get cars, SUV, motor bikes, sport cars, go karts etc..
that are powered totally by batteries or clean burning fuel, they emit very very little to no emissions at all and they compete with the gas burning versions. Let me tell ya for there first attempts at most of these they kick some serious a$$, I can just imagine what the future holds and what the big auto co will come up with.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm looking forward to the 35mpg rule. Cars and other vehicles that litter the road (SUVs, pickups) are huge and overweight. I love performance cars, but I am of the school of thought that that includes efficiency, and I can't stand the gas guzzlers on the road today. Anybody can make a car fast by building a big engine and dumping a lot of fuel into it -- even Detroit!

These days, 3500 lbs is considered "light" for a car. :rofl:

We got better economy in the 1980s than we do today.

Americans keep getting bigger and heavier, and so do our cars. They keep bumping up the size and weight of cars in the name of comfort and safety. Many car manufacturers' idea of making the structure of a car safer is to add more metal to it. I'd like to see them make a stronger structure without adding weight.

Imagine if we had the engine technology of today in cars that weighed 2200-3200 lbs. like they did in the 80s.

And aerodynamics has taken a back seat to styling and "keeping up with the SUV height". In the 80s, car manufacturers boasted of drag coefficients in the range of .29 (1984 Trans Am) to .32 (several cars). Notice they don't talk about it anymore? I know that flush fitting door handles, wipers, panel gaps, and overall smooth lines are a tremendous help, but I don't believe many of the brick boxes on the road today are very efficient against the wind.

35mpg? Bring it on! I can't drive my 4-cylinder, 30mpg 1985.5 Porsche 944 forever!

- Tony

·
Registered
224 Posts
The only problem with this "Green" idea is the Governments of all countries - especially the UK make too much money from the tax on the fuel, the VAT (value added tax / IVA) on the fuel and the tax (They even tax the tax), and then the corporation tax on the profit from the petrochemical companies.

They don't want us to be too efficient too soon, until they figure out ways to tax the alternatives, and besides all of their rhetoric now, they will all be retired and using bus passes by the time to meet the targets arrives, and we miss them.

I don't know any detail, but I have seen EMCs for diesels that improve power, accelleration and fuel economy - why not for petrol engines.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm all for the gas mileage. I personally think its sad that cars out on the road today don't get better gas mileage due to the technology under the hood. I am mainly curious if anyone has read on anything Ferrari plans to do. I know they have the biofuel F430, which actually produces more power than the normal one, and gets better gas mileage. I am not a fan of ridiculously large suv's such as the Hummer. A huge box that gets like 8-10.....hmm :rofl: Plus 2020 is still 12 years away, if they can't make V8's get 35 to the gallon when driven civilized that is pretty sad.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Now that you mention it, one thing GM has done well with is getting good mileage out of large V8s. Numerous owners of late model Corvettes have boasted to me about getting 30mpg cruising on the freeway. The engine is only turning 1700 rpm, give or take, but that, too is an impressive display of torque.

- T

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
With the higher gas prices it is the consumer that will demand the higher MPG cars well before 2020. Also to note is that it not every car produced that needs to average 35 mpg but the average of all the cars produced by the company needs to be 35 MPG. So most of the companies cars will average over 35 mpg but those who desire it will still be able to buy the 600 hp monster that gets 15 mpg.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so its the company's average. That seems much more realistic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts