Votes: 15 18.3%
  • I will never put on a Tubi exhaust

Votes: 10 12.2%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I remember reading this article a few months back and just wanted to ask something.....

What child has not dreamed of racing a fast car while making motor sounds with moist lips and heaving lungs? Buying a Ferrari fully satisfies that dream but many yearn for more roar. Aftermarket exhaust systems from manufacturers such as those from Tubi, Capristo, Borla and others promise added ear joy. But do these pipes risk a shift from "cruise" to "bruise?" Can these radical pipes harm our ponies?

The answer is yes, but why? A Ferrari exhaust system is much more than a pipe with audio resonance. These systems are the result of thousands of hours of careful research, design, balancing and testing. Air pressure within the pipes has a significant effect on how fuel is burned, how power is produced and overall reliability.

For instance, when a cylinder detonates fuel, an explosive pulse is pushed through the exhaust. The speed of the pulse determines your engine's high-end and low-end torque. The speed also determines the so-called "scavenging effect" which affects horsepower and torque by maximizing fuel burn efficiency.

Any change in the volume and dimensions of a factory exhaust system may affect horsepower and torque. However, these changes may be accompanied by undesirable consequences.

Ferrari introduced a revolutionary modular exhaust in 1999 on the 360 Modena and employed it on all models thereafter. This exhaust features an ingenious valve, controlled by the engine's ECU computer. The valve modifies the volume of air in the pipes as part of a complex combustion formula that varies in response to the driver's demands.

A Ferrari ECU, responding to the pressures in an aftermarket exhaust, will try to compensate for the altered parameters, but eventually it will not be able to manage effectively. The only way the engine can respond is to illuminate the check-engine-light. However, this may not occur immediately. Engine damage may result before the owner is aware of the problem. Consequently, the installation of aftermarket exhaust systems will void the manufacturer's warranty and any POWER coverage programs.

.......Does this mean that any Ferrari model before the 360 would be fine with a Tubi exhaust? I have been told that putting after market exhaust systems on models from the 360 and later can be the cause of your Ferrari bursting into flames :yikes:

The following pictures may be sensitive for some viewers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The 599 above is not from a Tubi. Can't remember why that one fried. Most of those rear engine car fires on ones shown probably caused by someone using bypass pipes the had poorly installed. Bypassing the cats etc. IMO is not a good idea. I stick with the OEM stuff there as the extra HP or sounds isn't that much of an improvement. The sounds, well THAT can be improved and is usually recommended.

I have Tubi on the 456 = WE LOVE IT

now, want them on the Mondial T, but waiting for a used one or such as that cost is just too much at the moment....seen em' on ebay for about $1k-1.5k

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bypassing the cats etc. IMO is not a good idea. I stick with the OEM stuff there as the extra HP or sounds isn't that much of an improvement.
What?? Why?? Are you talkin about all Ferrais? Whats thet theory based on?
And yes it does make a difference in sound on certain models of Ferrari.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I've never heard anything like that about the Tubi. I would definitely put a Tubi on most of the Ferrari models.

Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Something doesn't seem right about this. An aftermarket exhaust shouldn't cause any problems like this. I like the kreissieg and tubi exhausts. Fabspeed makes a good product also and very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
What?? Why?? Are you talkin about all Ferrais? Whats thet theory based on?
And yes it does make a difference in sound on certain models of Ferrari.

What I mean is leave the cats alone, and such till the exhaust where one can improve the sound and 'some' increase in HP with tubis etc.

IF one is racing, open track, then such mods may be needed, but for the street car I cannot see why one needs to straight pipe it out the rear...

socially thinking here of course :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think Tubi's And Ferrari's are a perfect match.I have Tubi's on My 360 F1
and I get chills everytime I start her up.Then once she's warmed up on the highway,flip the switch into sport mode,roll down the windows, downshift
and floor it!That ais the most beautiful music you will ever hear.Beats a stock
F430 IMO...in sound that is...:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I purchased my 348 the salesman fired it up and revved it a few times with a smile that said 'listen to that Ferrari V8' I wasn't impressed :thumbsdown: The 348 with a standard exhaust sounds boring to say the least. The next words out of my mouth were, "I want a Tubi fitted before I take delivery :happy2:"

When I picked the car up the sound was AMAZING and it sounded like a proper Ferrari. After about 2 months I learnt that my car was registered early enough for it not to have CATS so the car went straight in and had the CATS removed.

This not only made it sound sooooo much better (the difference in sound was noticeable on idle as well as with your foot down) but it also helps the engine breathe. IMO that can only be a good thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Being a corvette guy, and also being someone who cant leave a car alone, and also having heard an enzo with tubi I am voting yes. It stirs the soul, like a 500 horsepower American V8 or a 7000 horse power top fuel drag car, or a F1 car. the sounds quickens the pulse, dilates the eyes and makes you feel alive.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts

There is such a large difference between stock and Tubi. I prefer Tubi :)

Chris

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
The only time an exhaust can cause a car to ignite is if you park it on a combustible source, such as dry grass. This is just as true for a stock exhaust as it is for the Tubi - in fact, my 550's manual specifically warns about it. The photo's of the 599's show fires a couple of metres away from the hottest part of the exhaust so clearly they have nothing to do with that.

The article you're quoting is pure fiction - someone clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. The principle reasons why Ferrari exhausts are the way they are is that they need to conform to strict environmental regulations in various markets particularly USA and EU. This is also the reason for the valve - it is using a loop hole for making the car less noisy when idling or driving around town. At speed, the valve opens up to allow for more airflow giving better sound and better performance.

Also, don't forget that Tubi Style is located in Maranello. Do you really think that these exhausts cause harm to Ferraris? They've been designing these exhausts specifically for Ferraris for over 30 years, I think. It seems pretty likely they know what they are doing.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
---- I have been told that putting after market exhaust systems on models from the 360 and later can be the cause of your Ferrari bursting into flames ---
This statement is almost as flawed as the above dissertation!

Cars burst into flames from liquids leaking that should not.

Mufflers have absolutely nothing to do with it.

And if one examines most aftermarket exhausts they are usually 1/2 the size of the OEM saving weight and ridding heat quicker!

To answer the main question find something better than a too bee.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I love the sound of Tubi on my 360. I just need to find a way to hear it from the behind the car while I'm driving ;)

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I do however like the F430 and 360 CS with the stock exhaust.

Chris

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The photo's of the 599's show fires a couple of metres away from the hottest part of the exhaust so clearly they have nothing to do with that.

The article you're quoting is pure fiction - someone clearly doesn't know what they're talking about. The principle reasons why Ferrari exhausts are the way they are is that they need to conform to strict environmental regulations in various markets particularly USA and EU.
Guys, the pics are just showing what a Ferrari could be like if things go wrong.
Sorry if this has been misleading. The F430 however did have a Tubi exhaust on it.

The article is from Ferrari North America. Here is the link.

http://www.newsferrari.com/issue-13/Experience-Tubi-Or-Not-Tubi-6.html

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Guys, the pics are just showing what a Ferrari could be like if things go wrong.
Sorry if this has been misleading. The F430 however did have a Tubi exhaust on it.

The article is from Ferrari North America. Here is the link.

http://www.newsferrari.com/issue-13/Experience-Tubi-Or-Not-Tubi-6.html

Just had time to revisit this thread: The article is interesting. I agree with the combustion and exhaust changes that may cauase problems, but not sure on the earlier models as to how much.

What I have found on some early 90's models is the sensors used in the before and after combustion process to make worse of the system than a Tubi if they are out of compliance with OEM specs. That is why I, just me, state to leave the CATs in...not to mention I do have concern for the exhausting fuel into the muffler, and passing SMOG.

maybe I'm getting it wrong or I'm just too simple on the car...but my take.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
This concept has gotten ridiculous and is attemping to take the same route as Toyota!

I have never heard more garbage in all my life.

I have designed more free flow exhaust systems than anyone I know and have also sold hundreds of thousands of them throughout the US and Canada with never even close to this absurdity occurring.

To presume that an exhaust system is causing Ferrari fires is as ridiculous as Toyota saying their problem is not electronic.

Give me a break!

·
Premium Member
9,567 Posts
you go to FNA to find out what they think of another company making money in the aftermarket? Might as well ask glaxosmithkline what they think about vitamin therapies. My guess is you won't get an unbiased opinion. Ever heard of re-mapping the ecu? duh. I'm pretty sure tubi has also done hundreds of hours on research for their products. Funny thing is, those fires are caused by ferrari engineers, not tubi.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 42 Posts