Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently purchased my first Ferrari, (87 328 GTS) and I'm new to Ferrari Life. I'm considering upgrading the exhaust to a Tubi system. Any thoughts, comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tubi

If you do a search, you will find volumes on the subject. I happen to have one and love it, but there are lots of alternatives as well. One of the fun parts is figuring out what you want. Enjoy your 328! -Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tubi

Hi Lowrider, I own a 89 328 Gts and if you check garage photos you,ll see the one i put on my car. 100% improvement over stock, sounds like it should have been from the start. A friend of mine fitted a Larini system which in my opinion is a little louder but the tone is quite different, i like the Tubi, but then i would say that !!

Cheers Gavin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Steve, glad to hear your enjoying your tubi...the one that used to collect dust in my garage.:grin: My 328 is currently at Gary Bobileff's shop getting new cam belts. Maybe someday I will have the garage and tools to do it myself. Now my AC is dead...and I'm dreading that bill!:sport-smiley-027:
-Wes in San Diego

·
Registered
92 Posts
Tubi

If fitting the complete system, not just the back box, Tubi quoted me a meagre horsepower improvement, but i have not seen the scientific proof of that yet !!
What the hell the sound is certainly worth the cost , over the strangled tinny ish stock system, in my opinion.:grin:

Gavin.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You won't notice any huge performance improvement with a Tubi. I know several people that have/had Tubis on their cars and they have not noticed any performance change. I also saw a recent comparison that another owner did of both the Tubi and stock exhaust and they were also very close in weight, so there is not much of a weight reduction going from stock to a Tubi. If you are happy with the sound of the Tubi then thats definitely worth something!

What can I say, I'm satisfied with the stock system but its nice to know there are alternatives.

Best regards,
Dino

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love the sound of my Tubi. Not too noisy on cruise, except for those following, apparently, but it has a fantastic bark when you're getting stuck into it. Love hearing it echo from the cliff faces when driving up a winding road.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Tubi Weight

I also saw a recent comparison that another owner did of both the Tubi and stock exhaust and they were also very close in weight, so there is not much of a weight reduction going from stock to a Tubi.
Actually, IIRC, the Tubi is a lot lighter, like 10 or 15 pounds lighter. But still, that wouldn't make any seat-of-the-pants difference in performance.

Steve

·
Registered
92 Posts
Just FYI

Here's a dyno comparison we did last week. There was a 328 there as well (not on graph) with standard exahust and cats with 130kw. Don't worry about the numbers. I reckon this dyno reads low, but the comparison is still valid.

Green line 328GTB
Red line 308GT4
Blue line 308QV

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Actually, IIRC, the Tubi is a lot lighter, like 10 or 15 pounds lighter. But still, that wouldn't make any seat-of-the-pants difference in performance.

Steve
I'm still searching for the info I recently saw on weight (stock vs. Tubi), but IIRC the Tubi was maybe a 8lbs lighter maybe less. But even so, again if the difference was as great as 15lbs it still would make virtually no difference in performance.

Best regards,
Dino

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I was ready to spring for a Tubi, used from a parting car, for my Mondial T couple weeks ago, but felt the Tubi was best on a 12 cylinder.

There are alternatives, many I could mention, that have a higher throaty sound and more even temperment than the rumble of the Tubi. Actually, found the Tubi a bit too tame for a common, 8 cylinder.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tubi

hello sir,,i have had a tubi on my 89 328 for 12 years...i really do like it,,,just recently..,.i replaced the cat converter..with a larini test pipe...car sounds even better...the big plus with the test pipe,,is that my motor runs about 15-18 degrees cooler,,,now i know 3x8 s run better when everthing is warmed up,,,but when your driving the car at lower revs around town (normal driving ),,lower engine temps will probably extend the life of the engine...also,,less chance of a fire...my motor compartment..when i turn the car off,,,is much cooler when i pop the lid,,,anyways,,,just my 2 cents,,,,,you can check out the sound,,,here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jqge5faJVUU my car

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tubi has been around for a long time. I mean they do make a fine product.

Before you buy anything, my professional advisement is that you take a moment. Think about what it is you are in the market for. Both in terms of performance, weight, sound / tone. Also how it looks.

Stainless Steel alloys and Inconel will have a more organic tone / sound.Titanium will have a more metalic tone / sound.

Understand what you are buying before buying. A lot of systems in the exotic car world are in pieces vs complete full length systems. Besure it's not just a muffler and furthermore understand how the power is developed in the new system.

When looking at performance you want the most usable powerband, especially on a road car. Having 8 or 10hp at peak rpm is cool, but not pragmatic. A lot of systems do not achieve more performance then the factory original units. Some systems are more focused on weight savings and weight distribution over performance.

As mentioned X-Ost, Capristo, Tubi good options etc. There are also other options, If you have more questions shot me a PM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts