Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody seen this before?
I have lots and lots of pressure in my oil tank ,and oil is abit milky.
I know what you are all going to say, HEAD GASKET?
But i will tell you why i don't so.
Car idles fine ,no white smoke from pipes, hot or cold.
I,m thinking it may be a water pump seal or O ring between front cover thats
letting water get into my oil? Funny thing my oil pressure has gone UP.
My car has never ran hotter than 195.
Now its at 210 before my fans come on at idle , little heat at idle unless
i rev the engine, i guess water not moving fast enough due to pressure?
Yes i do have water in the rads, and have bled the system.
HELP

·
Registered
3 Posts
tr trouble

i have an 85 testarossa ,,when you have 12 cylinders if one of them had a gasket leak how would you tell ,milky oil ,why don't you compression test the cylinders ,,another pionter would be pressure in the water system when the engine is not hot ,ie combustion presure not steam ,,,,,,,,,,,,,
rite now mine,,,the gears are as stiff as f......k how about yours,,,

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Has anybody seen this before?
I have lots and lots of pressure in my oil tank ,and oil is abit milky.
I know what you are all going to say, HEAD GASKET?
But i will tell you why i don't so.
Car idles fine ,no white smoke from pipes, hot or cold.
I,m thinking it may be a water pump seal or O ring between front cover thats
letting water get into my oil? Funny thing my oil pressure has gone UP.
My car has never ran hotter than 195.
Now its at 210 before my fans come on at idle , little heat at idle unless
i rev the engine, i guess water not moving fast enough due to pressure?
Yes i do have water in the rads, and have bled the system.
HELP
how is your idle? One indication might be a rough/low idle at startup, which become un-noticable after a warmup?

and

milky: do you mean 'pasty' too. like in the upper oil-cap area, or on the stick. If either, I would think some water in the oil, so, if that, does your coolant seem a bit lower?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Is the oil system "overfull"? On the Testarossa you ONLY check the oil with the engine warmed up. If you fill the oil to the "Max" line on the dipstick with the engine cold you will have way way too much oil in there. Check the oil after warm-engine-shut-down, on level ground, no more than about a minute after stopping.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I was afraid of a busted head gasket in my Suburban awhile back and got to checking and it was just an intake gasket....caused the same damage (overheating, oil pressure, milky oil)....hundreds of dollars cheaper to fix....

·
Registered
308 Posts
There is an inner and outer seal at the water pump.....I suppose the inner one could be leaking and allowing coolant into the engine. If the water pump goes bad, there is a weep hole that exits from the pump area towards the passenger's side of the engine block, about 1/8 inch in diameter. The idea is that if the water pump seals fail and coolant gets behind the pump cavity...then you should see coolant coming out of this hole. But often these holes can get clogged up. Maybe stick a piece of wire in there and see what happens? Just something to think about.

Let us know how it goes....thanks.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
rite now mine,,,the gears are as stiff as f......k how about yours,,,
The gears in Testarossas are always stiff just drive it more and the gearbox will become much more manageable

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fill the gearbox with Redline 75W-90NS and adjust the shifter to perfection, and things are a lot better. I can get 2nd gear when cold with a slow and deliberate shifting action - not bad at all. Getting the shifter adjusted spot-on takes a bit of time though....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts