Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I need new rubber for my TR, just wondering if there are any recommendations out there?

I'm finding that most manufacturers don't carry these 2 sizes (225-50-ZR16 and 255-50-ZR16). All I'm finding is a BFG G-Force Sport tire, which is W rated, and looks a bit pedestrian for this car. That said, the tires available in 1991 probably weren't even this good...

Before I commit, any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On my 87 Testa I used Kumho tires and they were quite good, with a low price to boot. They were quiet when going down the road, had a nice agressive looking tread pattern, and very good grip.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Dunlop Sport 8000 comes in the proper sizes and is a really grippy tire to boot it has a nice agressive tread pattern a little more then the BFG but a great tire!

they are instock in every tirerack warehouse except DE according to my wholesale account

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys.

the Michelin Pilots I can't find in the 255 width (fronts no problem, it's the back tires I am having trouble with). I guess this is a relatively rare tire size, was used on 84-85 Vettes, and not much else. Apparently the Michelins aren't produced anymore, and at least in Canada, I didn't have any luck with the Kumhos either.

I did manage to source the Dunlops, they were about 30% more money, but I think the extra speed rating, plus the more aggressive stance, are worth the extra money. Now if they actually show up....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update, I finally mounted the Dunlops on the car yesterday, took it out for a good drive last night. I guess I didn't realize how much the old tires were affecting the driving experience.

The old tires had plenty of tread left, but were obviously old - there was some weather-checking, and you could see some tread separation if you looked at them closely. When I removed them, I was amazed to see some steel belting material was actually poking out of the side of one of the rear tires!

The ride on the new Dunlops is excellent. Plenty of traction, but really noticeably firmer and stiffer in the corners. It was a good lesson for me - tread depth is important, but not the only thing to look for...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts