Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
A silly question. Are Ferrari motors so precise in the amount of oil and fluids used that if one unintentionally add too much, say, motor oil that something bad can happen, or are there overflow or bleed out mechanisms that would prevent trouble before it can occur??? :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Are you telling us you added to much? There is no overflow or drain but you may not be checking the oil correctly? When the engine sits all the oil from the oil cooler and some from the filter drain back into the crankcase. So if you go out in the morning and check it before your drive it will show about a quart too much.
Let the engine warm up, shut it off and then check the oil.
The engine capacity is around 9 quarts.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pete,
I ran the motor for 15 minutes and waited 10 minutes to recheck. The dipstick is showing half an inch of oil above "max". What I did was add 12oz of the 'Prolong' product but then accidentally added the 8oz booster before realizing it should be used only in another 3000 miles. The instruction does not indicate removing any oil before adding.
Please advise.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Yeah, when I change my oil I usually substitute a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer for a quart of oil.

If I were you, I would probably go ahead and drain off the excess oil. The problem with too much oil is that the crankshaft can dip into it and whip the oil into a foam. Foam does not have the same lubricating properties as oil. It also robs power, the engine may smoke, plugs foul, etc.

The easiest way to do this is go to the local boater's supply shop and buy an oil change pump. It has a hose that fits down the dipstick tube. In fact, I know a lot of Ferrari owners use this to change the oil. Suck the old oil out through the dipstick tube, change the filter and put in the fresh oil. I prefer to pull the plug to get ALL the old oil out.

These pumps range from small manual ones for about $20 to electric ones for over $100.

Oh, and I would try to check the oil within 2 minutes from shutting it off.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pete,
Thanks. Is it possible to develop an oil leak from what I have done?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
jungathart said:
Pete,
Thanks. Is it possible to develop an oil leak from what I have done?
Yes, due to foaming the vent ports may be overburdened and the crankcase may over-pressure and force some oil past the seals. The seals are pretty forgiving. As long as you are not using synthetic oil (the seals are not designed for synthetics) the seals will swell and keep their shape. Any oil leaks you develop from the overfilling should go away after you drain the oil back to the correct level.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete,
Thanks for the reassurance, and thanks for indulging an ignorant first-time fine car owner. Believe it or not, I have always put my auto mechanics and technicians on pedestals; for I know I need them to make my vehicles safe and trustworthy. Please take your place among these revered ones! :p

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
jungathart said:
Pete,
Thanks for the reassurance, and thanks for indulging an ignorant first-time fine car owner. Believe it or not, I have always put my auto mechanics and technicians on pedestals; for I know I need them to make my vehicles safe and trustworthy. Please take your place among these revered ones! :p
Thanks, I'm glad I could put your mind at ease. Auto technicians are always under-rated and it is good to hear that some people do appreciate their efforts. I was an auto and boat mechanic for 10 years before I realized it just wasn't worth my time and effort keeping up with all the new technology for $12 an hour. Thats when I chucked it all and went to sea. Now I can afford to own those cars and boats that I used to work on. Before I went to the Academy, the most I had ever paid for a car was $500. I bought my Ferrari with cash. I can't tell you how awesome that feeling was.

I don't regret having been an auto mechanic because I have all the tools and knowledge required to maintain my cars and when I do have service done, the service writer ain't gonna bullshit me. I like the work, but I'd much rather do it as a hobby than an occupation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts