Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Ferraristas!

I have a question for your consideration and wise counsel...

I inherited and own an '84 308 GTS QV, Euro model. This is my first Ferrari.
I intend to sell the car and move up to a later model Ferrari.

I have just completed major service ++ on the car. The engine, electricals,
and clutch are now excellent pieces of work. And, the car has only 17,000 actual miles.

However, the car has some cosmetic issues: The interior needs new leather; the hood has a crease caused by an idiot who did not depress the strut release button; and the body has minor dings, 3 keyed scratches, and some rust bubbles along the door bottoms.

If I were to remedy any of this, I would do the interior, paint the key marks, and repair the hood, blending paint into the fenders.

My Question: Should I do some repairs and try to price the car for top of market, or just try to sell the car with its cosmetic deficiencies and price it accordingly?

Thanks for your comments!

Steve
Cooking in the Palm Springs area.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Steve,

I would sell the car as is and let the next guy do the fixing. I certainly wouldn't try to repaint the car yourself. If you don't do an excellent job you could hurt the value of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.

I had the idea that if I didn't create more curb appeal, my asking price would have to be much lower and someone might think I cut corners, even though I have all the receipts for the mechanical repairs.

The seats, console, door panels, and paint detailing will cost me about $2,400.00 out of pocket. The hood repair is being paid for by a County whose employee damaged the car. All of these repairs would be done professionally.

However, I do understand the logic of letting a new owner have the car repaired and painted to suit his taste and under conditions where he knows how the work is being done.

Steve

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yes, you should leave the car as is if you plan on selling it. Odds are the possible price increase you would get to add onto the asking price would be negligible compared to the cost of the repairs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.

I am going to deliberate some more on my choices.

I will let you know what I did and how much I got
for the car.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts