Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't speek italian. (or type in english) And thats what the marks are in.
I have the TR engine on TDC. The pointer is between "|ICS" and "PM|1-6"

The marks on the flywheel are. In order starting with #1 on TDC.

PM|1-6
|CS
AA|
PM|7-12
|CS
|A5
AA|
|AF

thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
PM 1-6 is TDC for #1 cylinder on the right side head.
CS is exhaust valve closes after TDC
AA is intake valve opens before TDC
PM 7-12 is TDC for #7 cylinder on the left side head.
CS is as above...
A5 - I don't know what that means...?
AA is as above...
AF - I don't know what that means either...?

I must confess I feel kinda stupid not being able to answer your question completely. Are you getting ready to verify valve clearances and confirm cam timing?

Please someone else chime in here and let us know what these terms mean.......I too would like to know.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
marks

Thanks for the the link. I am will get some use out of it. It will not help here, since I only have the first letter of each word. "PM show up twice, once for each bank. Is that TOP DEAD CENTER? CS & AA also show up twice. AF & AA only own time each.
Help
John
:work:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes....see my post above. If anyone out there can elaborate on this topic please do so. We could all use the information. Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Following carguy's great info, how about this for a total wild guess (thanks to Spasso's Italian dictionary :eek: ) ...

CS (close exhaust) = chiudere scappamento
AA (open intake) = aperto aspirazione

Could A5 actually be AS (open exhaust) ??

Italian speakers - please send help!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
A way to find out what all the letters mean is to have the cam timing specs and a degree wheel on the crank. Then measure when the valve opening and closing events take place in degrees, and see if the match up to the markings on the flywheel. It's a rather involved procedure that has many places for human error, so attention to detail is essential. Also bear in mind that Euro and U.S. spec. cars have different intake cam timing events, with the Euro cars intakes being 3 degrees advanced from the U.S. cars. Another point of difficulty in measuring the valve event is achieving the 0.5mm of clearance between the shim bucket and the cam lobe, but there is a way around this and that is to.......oh my gosh.....sorry to ramble on. Somtimes I just get carried away....I just love Testarossas as you can probably tell.

On second thought, just a degree wheel is all that's needed to determine the flywheel markings. Rotate the crank to the factory-specified valve events and watch for the markings, no need to "actually measure" the valve events. I think I've flipped my lid today.....I'll be quiet.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Very likely A5 is being mistaken for AS (and that would be Aperto Scarico).

AF = Anticipo Fillo (Fixed Advance). Normally, on the older cars with twin-dizzy's, you'd have one for each bank of cylinders (and hence, each distributor - my 308 has AF7, 7 degrees BTDC). I'd assume since the Microplex of the TR handles the ignition of BOTH banks of cylinders, you'd only need this one mark... Can't help you with what degrees of measurement this would be though...

Now, it may not be relevant to a modern car like yours (with a computer doing the engine management and therefore could change the following subject I'm about to say...), but the AF mark would be used in cojunction with a mating AM (Anticipo Massimo - Maximum Advance) mark too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What does PM mean in Italian?

PM = Punto Morto
Punto = Point
Morto = Dead

PM = dead point

One has to understand the context of the conversation to equate PM with what English speakers call "Top Dead Center."

You should read some of the early service manuals translated from Italian to English by persons who either didn't speak one of the subject languages very well or had no experience with the mechanicals of automobiles. Really confusing!

Best wishes

·
Registered
575 Posts
Re: What does PM mean in Italian?

confused 206 (Fiat Dino) said:
...You should read some of the early service manuals translated from Italian to English by persons who either didn't speak one of the subject languages very well or had no experience with the mechanicals of automobiles. Really confusing!

Best wishes
Yes, but then once its all read, one gets the gist of it. Plus a good laugh out of it too! :wink:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'75 308 GT4 (Peter) said:
Very likely A5 is being mistaken for AS (and that would be Aperto Scarico).

I went back and checked (with my glasses) and it is a "5" not an "s".

This forum is great. I get a kick out of reading the manuals on british cars as well, they refer to a propeller shaft, But I can't find the propeller.
john

·
Registered
36 Posts
What the heck is timing mark A5 ?

Don't rely on this without verification ...

A5 = the advance at 5000 rpm

Reference: Ferrari 308 Workshop Manual, Section B 35 shows A5/34 degrees at 5000 rpm

I also talked with a friend who has rebuilt a number of 308's and others and he understands A5 to be the advance at 5000 rpm also.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
749 Posts
A great result, Sherlocks - mystery completely solved at FF. :up:

(bell47: If you've lost your propeller you will be seriously down on top-end speed. There may be a spare on top of your hat :wink: :green: )

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I understand what is being said, but some of this is over my head.

Would anyone like to compile this info into a nice Tech Tip and I'll add it. With pictures would really be cool too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts