Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI gyus, this is mick.I was wondering where the timeing belts were on a 308gt/4,because if the timeing belts break this could send the pistons crashing into the valves,i guess they must be on the inside of the moter???. Concerning the timeing belts,are theses belts the ones the dealer recomends changing every 30000 miles.. I spoke with a gentleman from virgina who has a gt/4 with 77000 miles,he tells me the belts were changed at 44000 miles.He also tells me that the belts look and feel fine,could this be true Mick

·
Registered
286 Posts
Timing Belts

Mick, Timing belts are only a part of the problem. Tensioner bearings are another. If I was the guy with the GT4 you spoke of I would be afraid to start it let alone drive it. Age and the elements take their toll on the belts just like anything else. Be sure when you buy a Ferrari you check the belt replacement and tensioner bearings when they were replaced. Miles don't mean everything. My car sat for 18yrs in a de-humidified garage with only 5200 miles on it, and before it was even cranked the belts and tensioners were replaced. Go according to your owners manual but take into consideration how long the car has been stored and not run.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Location of timing belts.

Mick on the 308s the timing belts are located inside the timing belt cover on the passenger side of the engine. You can see them if you look behind the cast aluminum covers. They are not internally in the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Magoo is right about the timing belts. It is a good idea to inspect them and see the condition of the bearings. The cover will have approx. 4 bolts holding it to the block. I believe 17mm if memory serves. Check the belt to see if it has cracks in it. If it has numerous cracks then the belt is dry and needs to be changed. Magoo is also correct about the tensioner bearings. They tend to be the weaker part on this system. In most cases the when the belt gives it normally doesn't break but the teeth come off of the belt itself. This will then cause intereference between the pistons and the valves. New T-belts are around $28 ea. It is a good idea to change them. Cheap insurance.

I made it to the site! I appreciate the link to the site Warren. It seems like a very nice site.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi guys thanks for all the info.Am i right in thinking that the 30000 mile service would cost between $3000-$4500,and would include changing the timeing belts,walter pump,igition parts,clutch linings,valve adjustment & check tensioner bearings. 2nd question, If i bought a 308gt/4 with low mileage like say 18000-25000 miles witch repersents little use of car and owner cannot prove this service has taken place,and i paid $30000 . Is it a given that this service needs to be done as a precaution by me. Likewise if the car that i looked at yesterday was a 1975 308gt/4 76000 miles $26000 absolutley beautifull , 30000 mile service compleated at 44000 miles. Am i going to have to spend $3000-$4500 to have this service performed,after i buy car.Thankyou for your time Mick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is this in US dollars? I would think the one with 76K on the clock would be a little less $$$. Anyway if it had a 30K at 44,000 and is now at 76,000 then it would need a 30K as well as the one with no service history. If you don't have a record of the 30K then IMO it wasn't done. I think most would keep a receipt from a 30K especially a $4k one. There are independant shops that perform 30K services for less than $4,500. That is the going dealer rate though. ($4K-$5K) I would try to work with the owner on the price since you will have to do a 30k on either of these cars. In the service the shop will/should:
Change T-belts
Adjust Valves
Replace tensioners
drive belts (alt. and comp.)
cam/dist. seals and o-rings
fluids
plugs, caps, rotors, wires
check timing
recharge/ topoff a/c
rebuild/replace water pump
lube suspension
There maybe a few items that I am leaving out but you get the main point. Put in Mobil 1 Syn. for the trans. fluid. It works great. Since these are carb cars they should check/change the points.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Welcome Rich

Rich, Glad to have you with us. Yes it is a nice site and great group of guys. Warren, "Magoo"

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome Rich,
it's just a couple of old grey hair fart like me and Magoo. Ed to when he stops by.

Good luck with your belts.

E-mail me I'll sen you my number and your can call me if you need help.

I've done the job.

·
Registered
286 Posts
More members of the gang.

Don't forget PeterGT4 and Bret. They have been busy with there cars but will be posting soon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wow, many familiar names around here now... :wink: Hi Rich!

Here are a couple of photos of the timing belt drive system, located at the front of the engine (passenger's side of the car, in the engine bay). Accessible by removing the inner rear-wheel fender. Its necessary to remove cam covers to align timing marks on the cams, when replacing and tensioning new belts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts