Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I have this "virus" that is getting to me again. I have been thinking of buying either a 1969 Daytona spider conversion or a normal Daytona coupe. Both have been fully restored and appear to be in excellent condition and the asking prices are roughly the same,...about US$250,000 !!! The spider conversion is located in the East Coast U.S. which I am going there on the 14th to see this car (all the way from Japan !!!). The other coupe is located in Austria. My local (here in Yokohama, Japan) vintage Ferrari dealer friend personally went to this dealer in Austria and confirmed the quality. My dilemna here is,...I think the spider is more appealing just from the fact that you can enjoy that engine music with the top down. But the drawback is that it is a conversion model done by M. Sheehan in the '80s (looks very acceptable tho). But since it is a conversion, the market price is half or less than the genuine Spider. Any comments, two senses, r simply biased wisdoms would be appreciated. Thanx Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
I think there is a Buyers Guide for the Daytona now. Have you seen it ?

Per past discussions I have had with Vintage dealers on Daytonas, most feel that a Spider conversion is worth no more that a Berlinetta. Most also think that the Berlinetta is the better car to own. I have also heard several say that they prefer the Berlinettas to even the original Spiders and don't think the Spiders are worth the huge premium. Personally I would probably take a hard look at a 275 GTS before deciding on a Daytona Spider.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kinda agree

Thanx, Boxer. I totally agree that Spiders are speculatively overpriced and it is nothing exceptionally superior relative to it's coupe, EXCEPT for the fact that the top is down and the open air. The only reason that I am considering this particular spider (which happens to be a conversion) is because of the condition. It looks immaculate with attention to details. Where I live (Yokohama, Japan) and work Tokyo, got four seasons , congested roads, unrealistic speed limits (80km on highways average). I know, most of you would say, why do you need a spider in a world like that. I agree. But if you look around Tokyo, there are enough nuts with their tops down even under such conditions. Anyway, I shall take a look and make my decision, hopefully a sensible decision. Thanx Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Jimmy,
It sounds to me like you've already made up your mind. If you get the Coupe, every single nice day you'll be looking up at the roof and saying, "Damn, I really should have bought that Spider." If you are going to spend the money, spend it on what you really want.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Right

You're so right there, Pete. It's this going back and forth between sensibility and emotionality. I'll probably be hugging the spider when I see it in person right in front of the owner and he'll be thinking I'm an easy one to fish. Thanx for your comment. w/smiles Jimmy

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Jimmy Chen Shiba DDS said:
It's this going back and forth between sensibility and emotionality.
I've always said that sensible people don't buy Ferraris. They buy Volkswagon Jettas. Go with your emotions on this acquisition. But do try to restrain yourself a little. It will be harder to negotiate the final price if are hugging the car. :)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deep Gratitude

Thanx guys, you're all SO SENSIBLE bunch of folks ?!?!?! Just kidding. Thank you all... w/smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
If the spider is the same price as the coupe and you really want that spider, I would buy that one I think. Just like Pete said, if you buy the coupe you always want to put the roof down ;)
Don't try to put any logic in an unlogical sale

1 - 10 of 10 Posts