Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appreciate everyone's help and advise on vintage 2+2's. I have narrowed my choices down to either a 330 GT 2+2 SII or a 365 GT 2+2. My plan is to now begin the search for the right car at the right price. Periodically I will post updates on progress. Plan is to get a driver, in good condition, which should need not much more than regular servcing over the next several years. Hope to have the car in my garage by next summer. Any and all advise on where to start looking (either Europe or North America) would be appreciated. :work:

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Niels, Thank you for all the advise. As the car will be mostly used on the continent, I would prefer LHD but am open to either. In terms of color, I think the 2+2's do look better in the darker colors, but I do not have a specific preference. I will check the sites listed and let you know if I find anything.

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
250ml, This actually sounds like a 365 GT 2+2 that I looked at in the Netherlands about 18 months ago. I think it was a 69 model that was imported into the Netherlands 4-5 years ago. I will check my log and let you know. If it is, the body and engine are in good condition but not perfect. Interior is good but not everything works (AC, and some of the other equipment need work). The major issue with this car was the 2nd gear syncromesh was gone and would likely need both a gearbox rebuild and new clutch. Asking price at the time was in the high 40's (Euros).

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The car Niel's is referring to is a LHD and was originally sold in France. It was imported into the Netherlands in the late 90's and had about Euro 40k of restoration work done to the body, electricals, exhaust, and suspension. I have not seen any RHD in LHD counttries as RHD normally command a premium price. I have seen some ex-Singapore cars ending up in the UK.

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Boxer42 said:
The car Niel's is referring to is a LHD and was originally sold in France. It was imported into the Netherlands in the late 90's and had about Euro 40k of restoration work done to the body, electricals, exhaust, and suspension. I have not seen any RHD in LHD counttries as RHD normally command a premium price. I have seen some ex-Singapore cars ending up in the UK.
My mistake, to clarify the above, I have not seen any RHD on the market/for sale in LHD countries. :eek:ha:

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
A quick update, I have been in contact with several owners and dealers regarding a couple of different cars. Finding a 365 GT 2+2 that has been well cared for and has a reasonable asking price is a bit of a challenge. I think I may have found one that is of real interest as the current owner has taken very good care of the car 8) . Still aiming to have it in my garage by next summer. :D

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Enzo250GTO said:
Boxer42 said:
After my recent trip in the Boxer, I have to admit I have started to rethink the wisdom of a Vintage 2+2 vs a 2 seat GT. Any thoughts ?
Dino 246 in a heart beat. You will thank me in the future. You already have the best 2+2 from Ferrari and I think you'll enjoy another 2 seater GT.
I looked at Dino 246's several times in the past. It looks great from any angle. My problem is I am over 6" and the drivers seat is a very tight fit. Also tough to find one without major rust issues. It is one of my favorite designs.

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
DJ said:
Boxer,
IMO it's difficult to compare a 2 + 2 with a 2 seater GT, certainly not comparing a 2+2 with a sporty beast as a Boxer. They have a different approach to get from point a to point b. It's what's you're looking for, the 2+2 will get there fast, is more luxurious, has more space, but is more docile. The 2seater GT would get you to point B faster, with possibly a more sportive drive (and I don't mean in speed only) and a bigger grin on your face AND the wife arriving a half hour later in her car and the luggage. Two different cars, two different approaches.
But, you know what you have now, you know the ups and downs of your Boxer, you'll never know what your getting in to when buying something else.
Jurgen
Jurgen, I agree, they are completely different. For the former I have that covered now with the 456 GT and it does all those things extremely well. On the latter, it is about the experience and the older the car, the more unique (whether you enjoy it or not) the driving experience is. Hence the rethink. 330 GTC :D or a 365 GT4 BB :eek: (Daytona is out of the price range :-? ) ?

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I have driven a couple of 365 GTC/4, did not find them that involving. Perhaps due to all the power assistance features vs none in the 2 seat GT's of the same era. As a result, they are much easier to drive than either a Daytona or Boxer and look great in the darker colors. I have heard stories about nightmare maintenance costs. They are much more of a highway cruiser than a back road blaster. For the long hauls, my feeling is that the 456 GT does basically the same thing, for the same price, but with technology that is 20 years newer.

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Dj Dirk said:
not really
a 330 GTC (wich is seriously cool) goes for around 70.000 - 180.000 US$
a Daytona goes for 100.000 - 180.000 US$
A good 330 GTC or the even rarer 365 GTC for $75,000 would be a great buy. In terms of performance per dollar in todays market, the first Boxer - the 365 BB has to be one of the best.

· Administrator
15,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I have taken a look around over the last few weeks, interestingly enough a couple of 365 GTC have come on to the market recently (very rare as I believe only a few were produced). Prices are all around the $100k mark and they need some work. A bit dear for my wallet. Have not seen a single reasonably priced 365 GT4 BB yet. Did find one but the asking price was so far over market I did not even bother to contact the owner.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.