Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're discussing the Royal Brunei car collection on Supercars.net and Fchat and since about a year I'm uploading pictures to a gallery on SCN.

I did a big Ferrari update the last 2 days and thought I'd share these pictures with you guys from Ferrari Life.

http://www.supercars.net/gallery/129612/976/6.html
BTW page 6 is about Ferrari, but if you press the next or previous button you can also go to other marques.

Especially the last few months I'm also posting quite alot of info about the cars that I put in the gallery, you can find that in this thread:
http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=2&fID=0&tID=104217&bottom=360#post373
or:
http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85959&highlight=brunei&page=36

Greetings :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
The 456 wagon looks terrible. Did Pininfarina or Ferrari really need the cash that they were willing to bastardize their brand for one rich guy?

·
Registered
439 Posts
In the photos there are RHD F40 and F50 - I always thought all of these cars were LHD only. Were these cars built specifically in RHD for them?

The F40 with leather interior - talk about completely missing the point of the car!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the photos there are RHD F40 and F50 - I always thought all of these cars were LHD only. Were these cars built specifically in RHD for them?

The F40 with leather interior - talk about completely missing the point of the car!!!
The F40's and F50's were only made in LHD by Ferrari. Coachbuilder Pininfarina bought the F40's and F50's and converted them to RHD for the Royal Family (in this case most likely Prince Jefri). During the RHD conversion the F40's got a Testarossa interior. And also the RHD F50's have a different interior (allthough not that drasticly). Important features in these cars were the airco unit (wich is a must in the jungle), power windows and a stereo system (and in the F40 door handles :p).

I understand what you mean with missing the point of the car. But this (and all the others) were made based on the ideas of Prince Jefri. Designers for companies like Mulliner Park Ward, Pininfarina and Aston Martin went to Brunei to get the ideas of PJ on paper..

This really was an amazing and great period for coachbuilding. Just the client, a small special projects group from all the great marques (and no interverence from the rest of the company) and unlimited funds.

The 456 wagon looks terrible. Did Pininfarina or Ferrari really need the cash that they were willing to bastardize their brand for one rich guy?
Really? You think so? I thought this was one of the best looking estates in the world, especially based on a Ferrari. According to people who drove it it's unbelievebly fast btw.
The design was done by Pininfarina, but the development, building, testing, etc. was done by the company Italtechnica.

Keep in mind that most special cars were also drasticly changed under the skin and were really the highest standards in the automotive industry in the nineties. They were pushed by the Royals for the best quality in luxury, very high performance, newest technologies (that were not available to the mere mortal customers), etc.

And if you really want to see it from a money perspective, wouldn't you want a piece of the hundreds of millions of pounds that were flowing towards the high end car companies and coachbuilders?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
I love wagons in the style of Subaru’s, power, style and usefulness combined. Would I really use a 456 wagon to go shopping? No not really but it’s still cool. When I first saw the wagon last year, I was a little shocked I must admit, but after looking at it more closely I thought, they did a good job, the rear looks a lot better than the coupe. After the 550 the 456 kind of looked like something was pumped out fast from the factory just for added sales and was not given the full attention to detail and styling that others were given. But this wagon….really cool.

~

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Does anyone know how many cars the Sultan owns?
Does he keep all of his cars for ever, or does he sell them on when a newer model is launched and his private parking lot is full?
I'm sure it would be great to be as rich as he is, but how can you really enjoy all of those cars, he must have some that he's forgotten he's even got, or some that sit in his garage for years and are never driven. A big waste if you ask me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know how many cars the Sultan owns?
Does he keep all of his cars for ever, or does he sell them on when a newer model is launched and his private parking lot is full?
I'm sure it would be great to be as rich as he is, but how can you really enjoy all of those cars, he must have some that he's forgotten he's even got, or some that sit in his garage for years and are never driven. A big waste if you ask me.
The Sultan wasn't the big driving force behind the collection, that was his brother. Allthough you can say that most members of the Royal Family like cars. Before the Brunei crisis no cars were sold. If they wanted to get rid of it they were just left outside, crushed and/or thrown in the ocean. At the end of '98 came the Brunei crisis, Jefri left for the UK and the garages were locked. Since then every once and a while a few of their cars show up for sale somewhere. It's hard to put a number on the collection, but I think there are about 5000 cars in it. The crazy spending spree on cars is over, but they still buy cars like the avarage billionairs :p The wagen of choice for the Sultan today is the new ML63 AMG.

Edit: Indeed, truly a big waste. Countless of exotics standing still for years..

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Some of the cars do emerge on the market from time to time. The problem is many of them were never officially acknowledged by the factory and lack proper papers. Not an issue is you are driving around in your own country but can be a problem trying to register a car in Europe. The other main issue is most of these car have been sitting for years and need major refurbishment work before they can be driven. Monaco seems to be the place that they tend to resurface when coming on the market.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
As I'm not in the market for a stretched 355 Limo with a built in swimming pool, A Testarossa Monster Truck or an Enzo/FXX Station Wagon I'll steer clear of the Sultans car's if I'm offered one;)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Much of this appears to be decadent waste and tasteless vanity.

With enough money, they have managed to reveal a royal lack of restraint in adding personal touches to a vast stable of status symbols, most of which today, perhaps, have dry-rotted in storage without much use, further revealing the level of waste involved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts